cleaning a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok... not to get political here, but FQAS was dreamed up by typical Quebec politicians. Kind of like Bill 101. :banghead:

It's interesting to note that no other province in Canada, whose students train in every bit as strenuous an environment as that in PQ, deemed it necessary to require that a "special" certifying agency be created to deal with their "special circumstances".

People who train in the Great Lakes, or on the East/West coasts of Canada have been through equally tough diving conditions. Low/no vis, cold water, currents, silt... you name it. All contingencies can be dealt with by simply finding a competent dive instructor in that area. Agency has nothing to do with it.

My Instructor friends who are still in La Belle Province feel the creation of the FQAS has done nothing more than make an already complicated & ponderous provincial bureaucracy even more so.

Getting off my soapbox now,

You are repeating outdated opinions that only the most backward uninformed rednecks have (You are even inciting some American rednecks on this board to parrot the same BS). You should keep your opinions to diving where they are more constructive.

Also, read more carefully what I wrote. I never implied that our training conditions are different from yours, we all live above the 45th parallel.

I said that people who received their first training in the Caribbean faced different situations when diving back home, some deaths resulted.

As far as Bill 101 goes, it's needed to protect our culture and language, we don't want to be a second Louisiana. One day people in "British" Columbia will have to speak Chinese to get a half decent job. (Californians and Floridians too with Spanish.)

Boys, play nice! You are hijacking my thread! I have learned about cleaning masks, so now this thread should quietly go to sleep.

SubMariner - If you read it, Belmont's post appeared genuine and dealt with a province trying to avoid repeat fatalities from warm water divers going where they were not trained to go. If people are going to be stupid, the province should step in.

Belmont - you have to admit that any Canadian diver who certified in Canadian waters is likely going to be pi$$ed at having to pay some form of extra cert fee to dive in Quebec. I realize that you have already acknowledged that most Canadian divers, trained in Canada, are trained to similar standards. I am just pointing out that dishing out an extra $100 (that could be spent on maple syrup or pot) doesn't sit well with many divers. Hence, SubMariner's objection - he'd like to spend the money on maple syrup. :)

If you two are still going to fight, please take it elsewhere. :)

Holy crap...

Three pages on preparing a new mask for defog? Seriously? If you don't want to use toothpaste, go spend $3 for a bottle of SeaBuff. Toothpaste DOES work though - the paste, NOT the gel. The abrasive is what you want, that's why it WORKS.

Submariner:
Originally Posted by SubMariner View Post
Ok... not to get political here, but FQAS was dreamed up by typical Quebec politicians. Kind of like Bill 101.

It's interesting to note that no other province in Canada, whose students train in every bit as strenuous an environment as that in PQ, deemed it necessary to require that a "special" certifying agency be created to deal with their "special circumstances".

People who train in the Great Lakes, or on the East/West coasts of Canada have been through equally tough diving conditions. Low/no vis, cold water, currents, silt... you name it. All contingencies can be dealt with by simply finding a competent dive instructor in that area. Agency has nothing to do with it.

My Instructor friends who are still in La Belle Province feel the creation of the FQAS has done nothing more than make an already complicated & ponderous provincial bureaucracy even more so.

Getting off my soapbox now,

You are repeating outdated opinions that only the most backward uninformed rednecks have (You are even inciting some American rednecks on this board to parrot the same BS). You should keep your opinions to diving where they are more constructive.

Also, read more carefully what I wrote. I never implied that our training conditions are different from yours, we all live above the 45th parallel.

I said that people who received their first training in the Caribbean faced different situations when diving back home, some deaths resulted.

As far as Bill 101 goes, it's needed to protect our culture and language, we don't want to be a second Louisiana. One day people in "British" Columbia will have to speak Chinese to get a half decent job. (Californians and Floridians too with Spanish.)

Belmont,

Had you bothered to read my profile you would have noted that I am Canadian. I learned to dive in Ontario. My s/o and I had a very successful scuba independent scuba training business in Canada that included people in Quebec. (I am probably one of the few Caucasians who has had the privilege of diving on the Kahnawake reserve.) In fact, because he is a CD and I an IDCS it's more than likely that an instructor you may have come in contact with in Montreal was trained by us.

Want to take your fins out of your mouth now?

The acquaintances whom I paraphrase are Quebecois. They also happen to be very active Instructors/Instructor Trainers in the Montreal area. So please don't shake your finger at me & shout "Anglais! Merde!"

I reiterate: there is no need for the FQAS. Any good Instructor in Montreal, be they PADI, ACUC, NAUI, SSI, whatever, will do a fine job of preparing their students to dive in Canadian conditions. There is no need for the government of Quebec to poke their noses into it.

Anything else you'd like to say to me, you may do so by PM.

A bientôt,

Its nice to see us Americans are not the only ones who get in shouting matches. I still can't figure out how this thread got to be about the permit you need to dive in Quebec, but it was fun to watch. I hope we can all get along now.

Its nice to see us Americans are not the only ones who get in shouting matches. I still can't figure out how this thread got to be about the permit you need to dive in Quebec, but it was fun to watch. I hope we can all get along now.

And it made me wonder how you say "redneck" in French. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom