Cleaning gear when doing multiple dives on multiple days...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question in my opinion is, whats worse? Chlorinated water or saltwater? I think we all know that chlorinated water (like the one in the swimming pool) will do damage to your gear. We also all know that saltwater can be harsh on your gear.
The question that came to my mind was "rinse in chlorinated water or wait till i get home to the clean freshwater with now chlorine in it?" I decided to rinse my gear properly once I got back

On a liveaboard usually everything only gets rinsed at the end of the week except cameras and detachable electronics. Because your BC remains attached to your tank on the divedeck all week. Video Housing went in the camera rinse tank after every dive. I didn't even rinse my mask/fins boots all week as they were stored under my BCD. Don't own a wetsuit, but the people that did rinsed them after their dives.

What's worst is salt water after it dries. I keep my regulators wet until I wash them in fresh water, which is usally at the end of each diving day (but not always).

Saltwater is only bad when it dries. Then salt crystals form which have very sharp, jagged edges. Those salt crystals then begin the process of destroying your gear.

On a liveaboard, generally I just wash my gear at the end of the week.

As others have posted, what does the damage is seawater drying and leaving crystallised salt on your stuff, which is abrasive and will damage it over time. However I don't see any damage to my regulators, harness, mask or fins after a couple of years diving and around 160 salt water dives, 2 freshwater dives and a few sessions in the pool.

If I had to rinse anything (after my camera which goes in the dunk tank after every dive) then it would be the reg set, a quick rinse to wash most of the brine off. However the 2nd stages, hoses and outside of the 1st stage doesn't seem to be suffering any adverse affects so far.

If in salt water I always rinse after the last dive of the day including the inside of my BC. If there is a dunk tank then I will let it soak for 5 min or so to dissolve any salt crystals that formed since the dive before hanging it up to drip dry. Salt crystals are very abrasive and will reduce the life span of your gear if you don't get rid of them. I also treat my car to a mega deluxe super wash with undercarriage rinse if I ever go to the ocean shore or take a sea ferry to go dive.

I rinse my gear even if I am in fresh water. It is amazing to see that black ring in the tub when I am done.

Camera goes into the rinse bucket after every dive, but everything else waits until I get home (or to the hotel). Perhaps it's just the liveaboards I frequent (2-3 days max) but they're really not set for heavy gear maintenance. The bc & regs will be fine sitting out on the deck overnight, and they'll be wet again first thing in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom