Cleaning of equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use Deep Sea Supply's hose adapter. It's a bit wet to use, but it flushes everything out nicely and is very small. It lives by my dunk bucket so there's no problem dragging it around.

In that Mobile SCUBA Assault Vehicle you built... You don't have one of them fancy hoses hooked up to a 25 gallon onboard water pressure tank ? Good for fresh water showers, too. If not, put it on your to do list. :rofl3:

Many thanks for excellent suggestions and web links. I've learned how to clean the inflator valve and plan on getting one of the hose attachments to make sure the valve is well flushed.
Thanks again.

I've had some BC inflator valves that were really bad so I soaked them in a little lime-a-way and water in a cup over night. Worked great!

I just unscrew the shoulder elbow and run water through it, depressing the buttons.

But a problem I ran across was after rinsing. If you just hang up the BCD and forget about it the inflator hangs at the bottom and any residual water pools right around the spring (try depressing the deflate button a day after rinsing and see). I now make sure the inflator is angled up so any moisture accumulates in the hose and not where all the metal parts are, and empty it the next day.

no point in removing the shoulder elbow, just run the water through the mouthpiece and into the wing, if you drain the wing properly, you won't have any issue with the dump. very few divers know how to properly drain a wing to get 99%+ of the water out, all that will be left is a little surface moisture from humidity and a few drops left.

I just unscrew the shoulder elbow and run water through it, depressing the buttons.

But a problem I ran across was after rinsing. If you just hang up the BCD and forget about it the inflator hangs at the bottom and any residual water pools right around the spring (try depressing the deflate button a day after rinsing and see). I now make sure the inflator is angled up so any moisture accumulates in the hose and not where all the metal parts are, and empty it the next day.

Wow - I never thought of that. Thanks!

I've had some BC inflator valves that were really bad so I soaked them in a little lime-a-way and water in a cup over night. Worked great!

I just pulled the valve out of my wing to see why it tends to "dribble" just a bit, gradually adding gas to the wing.

After disassembly, and soaking in vinegar in my ultrasonic I found pitting that has damaged a small O ring.

From now on rinsing my wing before storage will involve pulling the valve to clean, dry it and inspect it.

This is why I love Zeagle inflators. First, they are attached by a hose connector, so filling the bladder of the BCD is way easy. Second, rather than reinventing the wheel, they use an easily replaceable Schraeder valve insert. It takes less than a minute to change out and you can buy spares from any auto parts store.

543.jpg

+1 on the Zeagle.

I unscrew it and do the same - but I leave it hanging upside down just like the BC - that way the water drips out the the shoulder elbow and does not pool in the bottom of the hose in the spring area. Then when dry I reattach making sure not to cross thread. Works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom