Cleaning of equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octo Z

How do you dry your Octo Z's?

320-7200BK Octo-Z black 01.jpg

Last edited:
If your asking me - I have an Air Source not a Z - but I do as described above in my post - air dry. I have been known to soak (submersed) or hose down the equipment - depends on how much time I have - night dives tend to get a soaking overnight due to the limited light at night. Day dives get a good hosing and all equipment is hung dry in the shade. But I always clean my gear after a dive - fresh or salt water.

** I have been known to take the octo or regulators and bang it again my palm to shake out any additional water that may have pooled somewhere too.

It was not the easily replaceable schraeder valve that was giving me issues, but the inflator assembly itself.

attachment.php

This is the low pressure inflator assembly, plus the schraeder valve, after ultrasonic cleaning in vinegar. What does not show is the roughening or pitting inside, that has abraded the small white O ring on the left, and is causing the gradual addition of gas to the bladder.

Jim,

Most inflators do not use Schraeder Valves, but rather what you showed. You might be confusing it with the quick disconnect for the LP Hose, but they are different. The Schraeder Valve is a far, far simpler solution and @ 50 cents from an auto store or @ $2.00 from a Scuba Shop. I would like to see more manufacturers use this.

1158320085.jpg

art_5718gr.jpg

Remove the plastic port on the right (opposite the button) and the Schraeder valve screws into it. It honestly takes a minute to replace. I usually keep a spare inflater around so all I have to do is to unscrew the hose connection and screw another one on. BTW, this is an older version without the hose bibb connector on it. The newer ones also use a helper spring for the button. The o-rings are pretty common, but they rarely seem to leak. I replace the Schraeder valves yearly or sooner if there is any creep.

Never had any problems with mine. I guess now that I know, I will have to change the schraeder valve. It's never be done.

I thought you did Jim as they are pretty common.

dmoore,

Changing the insert is great preventive maintenance. Just don't overtighten it if you do. It's set into plastic, wo it won't tighten down like they do in a tire valve stem. You'll need an allen wrench (1/4"???) and a Schraeder valve tool like this.

problue-schrader-valve.jpg

Last edited:
I learned something from this thread as well. I would like to know where to find the Zeagle power inflator and the corrugated hose that goes with it to the BC. I found the PI all by itself but I have not been able to find the hose that goes to the BC's bladder. I would like to see if I can get it to fit my Hollis S38 wing. I like the way the PI connects to the hose.

According to a quick search on the internet (don't bother trying to search on the SB engine, it's easier and quicker to use Google) the Zeagle Power Inflator will fit any BC with a 1 inch hose. Pricy, if you compare @$56-$57 for the Z with @ $15-$16 for a more typical power inflator from DGE.

The simplicity, ability to disassemble easily, and to be able to replace the schraeder valve might make it with the extra $$.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom