Cleaning regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The CDC recommends one-quarter cup of bleach to one gallon of water and a soaking time of up to 10 minutes. :wink:

1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water is a VERY strong chlorine solution.

Yes, it will kill damn near anything nasty. It will also attack any soft parts in the reg, including the O-rings, diaphram and exhaust valve.

The CDC recommendation is ONLY for hard surfaces (e.g. metals, etc) That's because that solution will TRASH soft goods!

Simple green is a better choice, with longer immersion. Dilute it heavily. Or Lysterine, but for a reg dilute it bigtime and rinse well afterward - just leave it in there longer.

I put a capful of Lysterine in my BC bladders occasionally along with rinsewater, slosh and drain. It keeps them from getting nasty inside. If you don't dive frequently (weekly or better) its rather important; if you DO dive weekly or better then the constant turnover of air and water keeps the beasties down all on its own, but I still do it monthly or thereabouts just for good measure

(The big problem in a BC bladder is molds - if you ever inhale some of that air, and its full of mold spores, you could be in a world of trouble. This is one of the reasons that people are told NEVER to inhale air from their BC bladder - good advice in general, but if the other choice is drowning I'll risk the infection.)

Genesis once bubbled...
1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water is a VERY strong chlorine solution.

Yes, it will kill damn near anything nasty. It will also attack any soft parts in the reg, including the O-rings, diaphram and exhaust valve.

Yes, but I thought we were sterilizing the mouthpiece not soaking the entire reg?

Recomendation's I have seen have been a 10% solution (actuall more concentrated than above) for anything that comes in contact, soft or hard.

James

The problem is that you exhale into the reg, and the droplets of moisture, carrying whatever is in your breath, end up all over the inside of the reg.

Sterilizing the mouthpiece is simply not enough, especially if the regulator never dries out completely (dehydration kills most biological nasties, but it takes time!)

If you use that kind of chlorine solution as a "rinse" for the entire second stage, you'll trash the diaphram and exhaust valve in short order, and may weaken any internal plastic parts severely.

If you don't, you've only treated half the problem at best.

hi,
what is this listerine? is it that mouth wash, like colgate has? any special type that should i use? may be my colgate will leave that mint taste inside the BC :D ?

sasha

Back
Top Bottom