Voiding oxygen clean regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisauron

Registered
Reaction score
So, my first topic.

I recently purchased a new oxygen clean regulator for using with a stage. Probably will be using it with 50% oxygen.
what will happen if I use this regulator with a tank filled with 21%? or 32%?
Does that void the cleaning of my regulator and i should clean it again?

I seem to be confused a bit. When does the cleaning becomes void? if ever?

Thanks

Reactions: OTF
Oxygen clean refers to the assembly and lubricants used when servicing the regulator. Meaning the technician cleans all the parts in a certain way and uses Christo-Lube or Tribolube (etc.) instead of silicon when putting everything back together.

After the regulator has been put back together - you can use the regulator on 100%, 50%, 32% or 21%. The % gas will not void the cleaning.

I have various stages and O2 bottles and so I have all my reg's oxygen clean just so that I dont have to keep track of which reg can go on which %.

O2 clean means the parts have been cleaned of potential fuel (hydrocarbons), and assembled with oxygen compatible lubricants and materials (seats and o-rings).
Per the theory, if you put that reg in a bottle that was not filled with OCA, it is no longer O2 clean... There also can be claims the tank valve can become contaminated just sitting around in the environment. Possibly the reg too.

If you are using 32 or 36 (let's say max 40), it really isn't a big deal...

Now, in practice.....

Thank you for the answer.
I have a follow up question:
Suppose you are using a 21% tank - but the tank is not oxygen cleaned and rated for 40% max (as most tanks i guess) - will that void the regulator cleaning?

If you use air that is not filtered to OCA standards on a regulator, it is in concept no longer oxygen clean. O2 clean is a standard for uses of mixes greater than 40%, and applies to tanks, valves, and first stages seeing greater than 40% oxygen. I would include second stages too, but there is theory that says the lower pressure makes in unnecessary. I'll clean my second stage too if I am to be using a mix over 40%. It isn't that hard, and using a single lube avoids mistakes. OC o-rings too. FWIW I use the same lube and orings on all my regs.... Specifically clean or not.

@pisauron its more about the materials that come in contact with the reg versus the gas that is in the bottle that impact the cleanliness of the reg

Using the 21% tank in and of itself wont impact the 1st stage. However, if the tank wasnt properly o2 cleaned and you get hydrocarbon or silicon residue on the 1st stage - that could be a problem if you are going to then use that reg for high o2.

So, theoretically, let’s say a brand new O2 clean AL40 was accidentally filled once with air. OK to empty and refill w/ EAN75?

Of course I’m not looking for guidance on what I should do… I’m just wondering if it’s something any of you might do?

@pisauron its more about the materials that come in contact with the reg versus the gas that is in the bottle that impact the cleanliness of the reg

Using the 21% tank in and of itself wont impact the 1st stage. However, if the tank wasnt properly o2 cleaned and you get hydrocarbon or silicon residue on the 1st stage - that could be a problem if you are going to then use that reg for high o2.

So, theoretically, let’s say a brand new O2 clean AL40 was accidentally filled once with air. OK to empty and refill w/ EAN75?

Of course I’m not looking for guidance on what I should do… I’m just wondering if it’s something any of you might do?

For a regulator to remain "oxygen clean" it needs to be free from hydrocarbon exposure....this includes the "source" and "contents" of the gas the regulator will be exposed to.

If you have a hydrocarbon/non-oxygen clean valve but your tank and regulator are O2 clean, then after attaching and pressurizing the regulator the tank will remain O2 clean but the valve and the 1st stage are no longer O2 clean.

Air can be sourced from a compressor that just pumps ambient air....ambient air is not considered O2 clean as it could be contaminated with hydrocarbons from the environment or the compressor.

There are compressors that are designed to filter the air so that the air when it comes out of the compressor is considered "oxygen clean air" or OCA....this air can be used to partial pressure blend nitrox gas mixes or it can be used as 21% O2 air.

If the compressor or cascade reservoir is not O2 clean, then the air one receives when they fill their tank is not oxygen clean air, and filling an otherwise oxygen clean scuba cylinder would render the cylinder no longer O2 clean and any valve and 1st stage that the non-O2 clean air is passed through also becomes considered at that point to no longer be O2 clean.

The idea of the O2 cleaning process and strict maintenance is to prevent the contamination with hydrocarbons which could cause combustion when oxygen comes in contact with it.

-Z

The inspection results for my local dive shop, which makes no special effort to provide oxygen clean air, show that their air is well within the requirements for oxygen clean air. I think you would find it true of almost any shop supplying standard Grade E air. There isn't that much difference in those specifications.

@Zef - I agree with your statement. I was saying that the 21% in and of itself doesnt impact it assuming it was filled to OCA standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom