Clear or black mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well I think my next mask is going to have a black skirt, the last couple of dives I have had I was really bothered by an ambient light effect where it reflected off the inside of my mask causing a flashlight in the eyes effect.

I started with a clear mask and soon found it turning yellow. I think a low volume black silicone mask is a good choice IMO. I dont think one or two windows matters as much as the internal volume. Less volume easier to clear and it brings the lens closer to the face which should increase your vision somewhat

I find diving with a clear mask in shallow water a PITA because sunlight causes glare. I almost always wear my black mask for shallow diving. I wear the clear mask for deeper or darker work as it allows me to see light and movement from my flanks easier.

One also serves as a spare for the other.

gtwtdvr:
Just wondering what the benefits of a clear or black mask are. I currently have a black mask and it's great but I'm in the market for a lower profile mask, so the question is clear or black all things being equal. Thanks for your thoughts.

Black skirt keeps glare off the glass. With a clear skirt light can enter through the skirt and bouince off the glas then into the eyes. This effect is not large, it is subtle but it is there and the glare results in lower contrast vision. If you are a photographer you will notice and want a black mask. Also if you do mmuch night diving (I do about 50 a year) black masks might (maybe) keep other diver's lights out of your eyes beter.

Now if you could actually _see_ through the clear skirts it would be different but you can't and all that comes through the clear silicone is a defuse light. If you want the see more a clear skirt will not help. Get a mask with a wider lens

I use both a low profile clear and low profile black mask.

I like the black mask because i get a "tunnel vision' effect. The mask i have is made by healthway or oceanic, its the tear drop mask that you see most of the Navy Seal's wearing.

There are con's to wearing black. I have missed out on a few unique opportunities where i didnt see something because i had a black mask. For example, this one time i was doing a deco hang from a lift bag at 30fsw and a bull shark had swam between my legs & fins. When i got back to the boat, the other tek divers were like 'i cant believe you were so calm when that 12ft bull shark swam through your legs". I was like "what shark"?

The pro's to wearing black masks is i find they last longer, are less prone to damage, are cheaper and when you tek dive it seems black or red are in and fancy colors are saved for recreational diving.

I like the clear masks. I find them more comfortable to wear and you do get a wider view of the ocean. Its like sticking your head out of the window to see the scenery instead of looking at it from inside the car.

But, the cons are my clear masks are prone to breaking, dont last as long and cost more money.

Now here is a final comment....

My clear US Divers Rafael mask was purchased in 1992 for about $59. I used it about 15 times a year for cold rhode island diving and stopped using it in 2000. It still works fine even though the silicon turned yellowish and the strap retainer broke three times during those 8 years. But, i only used it for about 100 dives.

My healthway/oceanic navy seal style black mask i bought in 2000 for a cost of $24 (yeah didnt realize the navy buys this mask not for performance but because its cheap and can be discarded when they reach shore). I have used it for over 500 dives (mostly technical) and many hours of snorkeling. It still looks new today and i havent had any leaks or anything broken on it yet.

So i'd gotta say from this experience, that black is better. But, i still love the clear :wink:

I have both. I started with the black for photography but now I pretty much use the clear. I find that lots of people I talk to that had a black mask didn't like it and felt more claustrophobic and took them back to the shop or never used them. Clear skirts turn yellow if it's poor quality material or you keep it near other black rubber or neoprene materials. I've had a mask for years that hasn't turned colors, but I keep it in a mask box after it's dry.

now that i've started to scooter, i've started running into stuff that should be in my peripheral vision but the black mask skirt seems to block from view.

recommendations for a good low-volume, clear skirt mask for someone with a big head?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom