Clear or black mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
now that i've started to scooter, i've started running into stuff that should be in my peripheral vision but the black mask skirt seems to block from view.

recommendations for a good low-volume, clear skirt mask for someone with a big head?

Cressi big eyes..., it's almost too big for my face.
About $30 at LP, it's available in clear skirting also.

149257890_228564659a.jpg

To answer the OP's question to be honest having used both a clear and black mask I don't notice much difference between either.
Just my experience, YMMV.

I have a mask with a clear skirt.

I do think it gives the illusion of peripheral vision because you are sensing light at the sides. That can reduce the boxed-in feeling.

However, that can't make up for the noticible reflections bouncing off the inside of the glass and back into my eyes. I concur with others who have said this is a problem. Often it isn't noticable but just as often it's annoying.

Therefore my next mask will have a black skirt.

Jam, who is that guy???? I use black now because I started taking pictures and it really helps with the outside glare, especially shallow. It is sort of like when you wear a baseball cap to cut the overhead glare of the sun. I would use a mask that had a black top and clear sides and bottom but I don't think anyone makes such an animal.

It's all about personal preference......

Once you go black you don't go back.
...unless your name is Lamont.

I prefer the black because it seems to narrow my focus down. It also prevents me from "seeing" things out of the corner of my eye.

Black Mares X-Vision !! The black skirt hides any 'blood 'n' snot' too !!

Obviously personal preference is the main thing - but black definitely helps if you are trying to look through a camera viewfinder or looking at critters under a dark ledge - particularly with camera viewfinders, the glare from a clear skirt causes your pupils to clsoe down little more so you are less sensitive to dim light and glare from light passing through the skirt can also interfere.

Back
Top Bottom