Clipping off an SMB/Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're going to clip it to your body, use a "breakaway" ... such as a rubber o-ring or something that will detach the flag from you if it should suddenly get yanked or run over by a boat. Basically, you'd loop the o-ring through itself on a D-ring, and then attach your reel to the o-ring.

As for strobes ... just know that in some places (Canada, for instance) maritime strobes are a distress signal ... attaching one to your flag might draw unwanted attention ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Perhaps I should have been more specific; I meant a light source, not necessarily a strobe, but I didn't know strobes were automatically considered a distress signal in some places. I'll remember to look that up when I travel and need a flag.

As for strobes ... just know that in some places (Canada, for instance) maritime strobes are a distress signal ... attaching one to your flag might draw unwanted attention ...

That's good to know. Surely something worth researching before just going out and doing it.

I was under the impression FL at least has a mandate that a boat must be at least 100(??) feet from a diver down flag (where possible). I could be wrong about that. I know I read something about it in one of the threads regarding the FL doctor who ran over a diver with his boat and then took off... that was in association with a boat too, though, so they may have had an alpha flag...

I'm not sure about Florida, but I wouldn't be surprised if its the same case as it is here in California where 90% of divers think its "the law" that a boat stay back 100ft from their flag (possibly because some OW courses teach this?) when in reality there are no set laws here regarding how far back a boat has to sit from a dive flag since it is not a widely recognized maritime signal unlike the alpha pennant. If FL has a mandate for it, then thats a huge step forward! But as of a month ago during a boating course I was taking (lead by the coast guard), there are no actual laws in the majority of the country for dive flags (not alpha pennants), only assumptions and suggestions.

IIRC the pattern of the strobe is what makes it a distress signal, and no, I can't remember what it is. Nor, I imagine can most boaters, therefore I would be leery using a strobe above water unless I was in distress.

Depending on the type of float you use and your access to lightweight waterproof lights you could modify the light signals boats are required to use, but you still have the issue of being seen with your signal so close to the water line.

Michael

From COLREGS:

(d) A vessel engaged in dredging or underwater operations, when restricted in her ability to maneuver, shall exhibit the lights and shapes prescribed in subparagraphs

(b)(i),(ii) and (iii) of this Rule and shall in addition when an obstruction exists, exhibit:

(i) two all-round red lights or two balls in a vertical line to indicate the side on which the obstruction exists;

(ii) two all-round green lights or two diamonds in a vertical line to indicate the side on which another vessel may pass;

(iii) when at anchor, the lights or shapes prescribed in this paragraph instead of the lights or shapes prescribed in Rule 30.

(e) Whenever the size of a vessel engaged in diving operations makes it impracticable to exhibit all lights and shapes prescribed in paragraph (d) of this Rule, the following shall be exhibited:

(i) Three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;

(ii) a rigid replica of the code flag “A” not less than 1 meter in height. Measures shall be taken to ensure its all-round visibility.

I'm not sure about Florida, but I wouldn't be surprised if its the same case as it is here in California where 90% of divers think its "the law" that a boat stay back 100ft from their flag (possibly because some OW courses teach this?) when in reality there are no set laws here regarding how far back a boat has to sit from a dive flag since it is not a widely recognized maritime signal unlike the alpha pennant. If FL has a mandate for it, then thats a huge step forward! But as of a month ago during a boating course I was taking (lead by the coast guard), there are no actual laws in the majority of the country for dive flags (not alpha pennants), only assumptions and suggestions.

I have a copy of the regulations for Florida in my hand, printed up a month or so ago from an online source. In particular, it specifies the red & white diver down flag and makes no mention of the alpha flag. As far as distance requirements, it uses the language "reasonable efforts". Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet on rivers, inlets, & navigation channels - boats must make reasonable efforts to stay outside 100 feet. On other bodies of water the distance changes to 300 feet.

It's a recognized maritime signal in California. Not given much recognition, but it is recognized. The law states that boats will "exercise precaution" around the dive flag, that's about it. Nothing about staying an exact distance away.

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations CurrentnessTitle 14. Natural Resources
Division 4. Department of Boating and Waterways
Chapter 1. Department of Boating and Waterways
Article 6. Waterway Marking System
arrow.gif
§ 7008. The Divers
Flag.

(a) A red flag with a white diagonal
running from the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner (from
masthead to lower outside corner) and known as the "Divers Flag" shall when
displayed on the water, indicate the presence of a person engaged in diving in
the water in the immediate area.

(b) Recognition of this
flag by regulation will not be construed as conferring any rights or privileges
on its users, and its presence in a water area will not be construed in itself
as restricting the use of the water area so marked.

(c) Operators of vessels will, however, exercise precaution commensurate with conditions indicated.

(d) This flag may
be displayed only when diving is in progress, and its display in a water area
when no diving is in progress is that area will constitute a violation of the
regulation and of section 659 of the Harbors and Navigation Code.

(e) Nothing in this section will require the carriage of a divers
flag for any purpose.

We leave it free, although it probably changes a few positions throughout the dive (it's a towed flag) for comfort. It's the giant D-shaped kite winder style. We'd really like to find a submersible, salt-water-tolerant retractable device. Much like the dog leashes. I've found one or two mentions of this, but nothing commercially available & under $30.

I usually clip the flag to a snap shackle on my harness so it can be quick released and the handle is just cheep plastic so in the worst case it will breakaway before it can pull me too far. I only use a flag where it is required by law as it seems to attract more boaters then it deters and in 41 years of diving I have never seen a boater ticketed for coming too close to a dive flag.

It's a recognized maritime signal in California. Not given much recognition, but it is recognized. The law states that boats will "exercise precaution" around the dive flag, that's about it. Nothing about staying an exact distance away.

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations CurrentnessTitle 14. Natural Resources
Division 4. Department of Boating and Waterways
Chapter 1. Department of Boating and Waterways
Article 6. Waterway Marking System
arrow.gif
§ 7008. The Divers
Flag.

(a) A red flag with a white diagonal
running from the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner (from
masthead to lower outside corner) and known as the "Divers Flag" shall when
displayed on the water, indicate the presence of a person engaged in diving in
the water in the immediate area.

(b) Recognition of this
flag by regulation will not be construed as conferring any rights or privileges
on its users, and its presence in a water area will not be construed in itself
as restricting the use of the water area so marked.

(c) Operators of vessels will, however, exercise precaution commensurate with conditions indicated.

(d) This flag may
be displayed only when diving is in progress, and its display in a water area
when no diving is in progress is that area will constitute a violation of the
regulation and of section 659 of the Harbors and Navigation Code.

(e) Nothing in this section will require the carriage of a divers
flag for any purpose.

Excellent info! I'm going to copy and paste that into my reference library asap!

As far as the flag not being recognized, my original intentions were to say that it is not widely recognized by boaters, rather than by the law. Still, I appreciate the info and insight!

P.S: Also, its a bit off topic, but it does deal with dive flags. Remember that just because you have a diveflag up doesnt mean boats cant legally roll right up on top of you. As of now, at least in California and I suspect the majority of the US, there are no federal or state laws saying that a boat MUST stay back a set distance from a dive flag. While you will earn kudos for being cautious and putting one up, if a boat decides to park themselves right on top of it theres nothing that can be done. The only way to legally protect yourself is to fly both a dive flag and an alpha pennant, or just the alpha pennant. This is because the alpha pennant is legally recognized as meaning that a vessel has restricted mobility, and that could help you win a court case should something happen.

Well for the States with lots of diving going on, there are State regulations, but limited enforcement IMHO.

Hawaii State Dive Flag Law has reg's for divers, and reminds us of the Federal reg's as well;

(a) A "diver's flag" as defined by rule and measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches shall be required to be displayed on the surface of the water by any person or group of persons engaged in free diving or SCUBA diving.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a diver's flag measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches, shall be displayed on the highest point of the main structure of a non-motorized vessel that is sixteen feet or less in length overall in order to provide unobstructed view of the diver's flag from all directions when diving from the vessel.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a), in addition to the "Alpha flag" required by the United States Coast Guard, i.e., a blue flag with a white horizontal strip running from the upper left side to the lower left side, a diver's flag measuring not less than twenty inches by twenty-four inches, shall be displayed on the highest point of the main structure of any motorized or non-motorized vessel that is greater than sixteen feet in length overall in order to provide unobstructed view of the diver's flag from all directions when diving from the vessel.

(d) No person shall engage in free diving or SCUBA diving, or display a diver's flag, in a manner that shall unreasonably or unnecessarily interfere with vessels or with free and proper navigation of the waterways of the State.

(e) Except in cases of emergencies, free diving, swimming, or SCUBA diving within navigation channels shall be prohibited.

[...]

(h) The diver's flag shall be displayed only when free diving or SCUBA diving is in progress, and its display in a water area when no diving is in progress in that area shall constitute a violation of these rules.

(i) There shall be no subsurface distance restrictions from a dive flag, however, except in cases of emergencies, free divers or SCUBA divers shall be prohibited from surfacing more than one hundred feet away from the diver's flag in the ocean waters of the State and fifty feet in navigable streams.

(j) Authorized representatives of the department and life saving personnel are exempt from the distance restrictions of subsection (f) when performing functions related to their duties.

(k) Anyone violating any provision of this section shall be subject to fines and penalties as provided in sections 200-14, 200-14.5, and 200-25, HRS. [Eff 2/24/94 am July 5, 2003] (Auth: HRS §§200-2, 200-3, 200-4, 200-10, 200-14, 200-14.5, 200-24, 200-25) (Imp: HRS §§200-2, 200-3, 200-4, 200-10, 200-14, 200-14.5, 200-24, 200-25)

and for boaters;

(f) All vessels shall be prohibited from approaching within one hundred feet of a displayed diver's flag or within fifty feet of a displayed diver's flag on navigable streams, except within marked navigation channels. Vessels approaching a displayed diver's flag to conduct SCUBA, snorkeling, or free diving activities within the one hundred foot or fifty foot restricted area shall be allowed to do so provided that the vessel approaches at a speed of slow-no-wake.

(g) Vessels navigating through marked navigation channels are exempt from the distance restriction described in subsection (f) but shall proceed at a speed of slow-no-wake through the navigation channel when a diver's flag is displayed adjacent to the navigation channel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom