Clipping off an SMB/Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive, I like how they do not list the flag requirement on the standard website for NPS.GOV. Whiskeytown seems to be the only Cali lake on the list, although I just glanced and could have missed another one.

§ 3.18 May I snorkel or underwater dive in park waters?
(a) Snorkeling and underwater diving is allowed in park waters, subject to closures or restrictions designated by the superintendent in accordance with §§ 1.5 and 1.7 of this chapter.Show citation box
(b) In waters open to the use of vessels, a diver must prominently display a dive flag during dive operations. A dive flag must not be displayed unless dive operations are ongoing.Show citation box
(c) The dive flag must be illuminated when dive operations take place between sunset and sunrise. The dive flag illumination may not consist of lights that may be confused with navigation lights or aids to navigation lights.Show citation box
(d) While on the surface, submerging or surfacing the diver must remain within a 100 feet horizontal radius of the diver flag.

Sure sounds to me like a flag is a requirement on the surface. Wonder if you set one up on shore, then just made sure you surfaced right near it, would that be legit??

I am with Andy. NEVER attach a float, flag, SMB etc to yourself. When a boat hooks your float there is mot enough time react. (sorry DD)

It happened to me. The boat was not going full speed, they were focused on their bottom finder. They did not know they had hooked my float on the outdrive until 20 or 30 minutes later when good Samaritan picked up me and my buddy and brought us back.

In any event, I had the line kind of looped on my fore arm and wrist. When the boat hooked me, I was immediately yanked 10 or 15 ft towards the surface. The line was not "attached" to me, but it did not matter. The boat paused for a few seconds and I started feverishly trying to get the line off me. I could see my buddy away and below heading for me with his knife in hand. The boat throttled up again, there were lots of bubbles coming from me and my buddy. But pause by the boat pilot gave me time to get loose.

I've had the boat snag my float many times. Always it has been an accidental drift at slow speed and it is a pain to hold on until they get it sorted out (or the prop cuts the line).

Clipping off a floatline to your body always presents a danger, even with a break away system, if the line is pulled back across your throat or wraps around your tank valve, you could get hurt.

It is not good practice in places where there is boat traffic. I do it for convenience occasionally, but it is a compromise of safety.

Scooter divers often clip off the floatline to their scooters and then they often clip their scooters to themselves. I've not found a real good way to avoid that (other than making someone else tow the flag)

The doofus that hooked me, had my float attached to his lower unit or out drive (don't remember) until I retrieved it. He put divers in the water and was following their float, while my boat was following my float 15 ft behind doofus!

I actually cringe when I see a buddy put the treble hook in his armpit while digging for a bug. Or the guys who put their arms through the kite winders. I saw a guy clip off a flag to a butt scooter ring. At the Bridge, I see lots of divers clipping of floats to themselves. At the Bridge, I put a couple pounds of lead at the reel, or hook off to bottom debris.

I just lost my dive flag Sunday in Venice, Fl. I found my first Megalodon tooth and was a bit excited and showing my buddies:). We concentrated on the area for another 10 or 15 minutes hoping for a second fossil. As we left the area, I became aware my dive flag was gone. By the time we surfaced (30+ minutes later) I couldn't see it from my boat. The person left on the boat was sick so we had to head back in and I couldn't cruise around looking for it. Ok...my point. While we were down, I heard probably 5 boats in the area. If I had my line clipped to my BCD, I would have detached and held it in my hand until the boat sound faded. As vis was maybe 4 ft, I couldn't see if the boat was parked over us, but I think I would know by the sound of the prop if it stopped close. I'm not sure if I'm going to clip or not. My wife volunteered to hold the flag from now on :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom