Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: I can't decide if wetsuits make you look more like Staypuff Marshmallow Man or the Michelin Man... certainly enough rubber to get the Michelin Man's attention:rofl3:
At least the BCD and tank block some of the view. Here's the upside for me, no shark is gonna look at me and think.... that's a fish and I can get my mouth around it!:blinking: Poor viz can be a boon too:eyebrow:

Questions:

If I had died, would this have been considered a scuba accident?

Should I notify DAN?

:laughing:

That's hilarious.

I bought my first wetsuit this weekend; a 3mm full length. Even not having read this thread yet, I went with my lycra rashguard to try it on.

The rashguard made the wetsuit fairly easy to get on and off, though I was wondering if it would be easier to zip the suit up if I had the ability to dislocate my shoulders on command. I didn't have much of any problem taking it off either (no hood, thankfully).

What did I have the problem with?

The rash guard. I can't get the silly thing to pop off my shoulders. I pull it, and it just stretches. I can take a wetsuit off without a problem, but it's looking like I'm going to be stuck wearing black spandex for the rest of my life, and this after commenting about Comic Con, "Some people should NOT wear spandex".

(Memo to middle-aged geeks: Spandex and a cape do NOT make you look like a superhero. Superheroes, at least male superheroes, are supposed to have six pack abs, not beer-keg bellies)

Like many of you doing the epileptic chicken dance to get the wetsuits off, I was doing it to get the rash guard off. I'm twisting and turning, contorting my shoulders every which way hoping to get that freakin' lycra to let go of my back and neck, regretting the whole time not insisting my wife join me for this shopping trip. I think what finally worked was actually pulling the lycra farther up my waist to make the torso looser. I'll need to experiment with that next time I wear it.

I fear, though, if my wife reads this thread, she may never consent to buying a wetsuit.

I'm having horrible flashbacks to trying on a Henderson Insta Dry a month ago....

I wasn't going to die from lack of air but from a lack of movement or falling over and breaking my neck from the "OMG WHY THE HELL CAN'T I GET THIS WETSUIT ON" dance. There was swearing, falling, flailing, sweating like a pig (which as we all know doesn't help when trying to get a wetsuit on) and turning several shades of magenta. (I think I lost 5lbs trying to get that dang thing on...maybe I'll release my own divers work-out video)

Needless to say after watching said wetsuit dance my dogs won't go anywhere me when I have a wetsuit in my hand.

And yes, you should have notified DAN. If nothing else they would have gotten a good laugh out of your situation!

(I think I lost 5lbs trying to get that dang thing on...maybe I'll release my own divers work-out video)

I can see it now...

Wetsuitin' To The Oldies!

Now stretch... and pull.... and stretch... and pull....

Work it, now; work it!

In my original post, I asked if I should have reported it to DAN, and several recent comments have suggested that I should have. Well, I just read through the 2007 DAN report on fatalities, and they include people getting ready to dive, people who were done diving, and people who were in 6 foot deep swimming pools. (Yes, there were two scuba fatalities in 6 foot swimming pools in 2007--rebreather failures.) I don't think it is much of a stretch to include wet suit donning injuries.

BTW, I now have a scar on my right arm from an injury I sustained while trying to pull on the arm of a wet suit I had (oh too sadly) outgrown since last I wore it. My thumbnail sliced me right open when I lost my grip while straining to pull on the arm.

I can see it now...

Wetsuitin' To The Oldies!

Now stretch... and pull.... and stretch... and pull....

Work it, now; work it!

I had to re-write a renters application thank to you! LMAO! I spit coffee all over it when I read that!:rofl3:

I'm having visions of an upcomong You Tube video I may have to make for the amusement of other divers....hehehehe:cool2:

I had to re-write a renters application thank to you! LMAO! I spit coffee all over it when I read that!:rofl3:

I'm having visions of an upcomong You Tube video I may have to make for the amusement of other divers....hehehehe:cool2:

You're quite welcome!

:D

about 30 years ago a couple of us had discovered dry suits - never seen anything like it before ...standing there going "WAT da HAY-yul is dat?". Both of us bought one - then trying to convince the rest of our group these new-fangled critters was wa-ay high tech and the way of the future for us redneck river rats - one guy wasn't so sure - little short guy named Lamarr - took us weeks but we finally got Lamarr to at least try the dam thing on - sitting around in his living room one evening we start easing him into this thing - the type you step in the back and pull your head and arms through the shoulders and head thru the neck hole in one quick movement , zippers across the shoulders- Lamarr did have kind of a big head for such a little guy - anyway the neoprene neck seal will NOT come over his head - usually you roll it down and double it under for the seal - but it stuck and with his arms in the sleeves we can't get it back off - he's dancing around like a headless zombie, this muffled screaming / groaning thing going - his wife is flipping out and we're all laughing so hard we're useless....this went on for awhile (we kind of enjoyed it) and he was REALLY freaking out - we finally got him calmed down, pinned to the floor and pried it off when his wife grabbed the phone and was threatening to call 911...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom