Close call - spot the errors leading up to it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll disagree with your #5 ... floating face-down on the surface while awaiting pickup has two disadvantages ... it makes you less visible to the boat (particularly in waves), and it eliminates your ability to see what's coming (like a boat that might run you over because they don't see you) ... stay vertical with as much of you as possible of the water, and with the ability to see and wave off an oncoming boat if needed ...

... Bob(Grateful Diver)

I think part of what might have been going on here had to do with the depth.

I know that when I'm diving in Egypt with my regular buddy we dive shallow a lot (15m is not uncommon) and we maintain less strict buddy contact than during our "normal" dives together.

On our normal dives we're diving to depths of 50m, we're over the NDLs (sometime *well* over), we're both carrying 3 or 4 tanks, it's cold, it's dark, the margins for error or more limited and we dive like... well... like our lives depend on good buddy contact.... as it does.

On vacation in Egypt, we would only do this on a relatively deep dive or a dive over the NDLs. Frankly we don't dive (often) over the NDL's on vacation because of making so many repetitive dives. The context is a LOT different than our "normal" dives and frankly, it seems a LOT easier.

So we may agree to be separated by 10m or so. One reason we might decide to do that is if we're looking for a specific critter. One of the things we pride ourselves on while on vacation is that if we say "we're looking for critter X on this dive", that we can usually find it. (aside from things like dolphins or whale sharks, that have their own agendas).

But for example, we may spend an entire dive looking for an octopus. They're not always easy to find but we can usually find them... but not if we're joined at the shoulder. To the untrained observer it may look like we aren't "tight", as in this video.

In our case, I can assure you if something happened to either of us, the gap of 10m would be closed very quickly. In the case of the diver in the video, I see someone who needs to learn a few things but may be suffering from the same mindset myself and my buddy do in the tropics.....

Thinking that since the diving is so easy and so shallow, "what could possibly go wrong".

Food for thought?

R..

I am surprised no one made a comment about ditching weight in an emergency situation I was taught that once on the surface you ditch weight to improve flotation just incase your bc has a leak

A dive computer with an audible alarm certainly could have helped.

The mask around the neck as a "signal" seems bizarre. Do some agencies teach that or something? I store mine there during surface intervals, but it stays on my face until I'm on the boat.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2015 at 10:46 AM ----------

I am surprised no one made a comment about ditching weight in an emergency situation I was taught that once on the surface you ditch weight to improve flotation just incase your bc has a leak

I don't think I would have in that situation. A boat came almost exactly 2 minutes after he hit the surface.

I actually thought about it but decided not to include it in my post because the diver wasn't having trouble staying on the surface.

That said, I tell all of my students that when they are on the surface they should never NEVER hesitate to dump their weights to create positive buoyancy. Weights are cheap. Life is not. It's that simple.

R..

---------- Post added November 30th, 2015 at 05:12 PM ----------

A dive computer with an audible alarm certainly could have helped.

Not sure why you would think so. Care to elaborate? Computers have alarms but 99 times out of 100 they are either (a) unclear in their meaning or (b) hard to hear. My feeling is that you shouldn't try to solve a skills problem with gear.

The mask around the neck as a "signal" seems bizarre. Do some agencies teach that or something? I store mine there during surface intervals, but it stays on my face until I'm on the boat.

PADI teaches that the mask on forehead (equipment rejection) could be a sign of stress. Apparently this diver internalized that to mean that mask on neck means "no stress". I suspect that his instructor is responsible for that misinterpretation.

IN fact, what one SHOULD do in this case is to leave the mask in place and if you have a snorkel, attach it to your mask and get it in your mouth.

R..

The guy was just a few feet from another diver.. not more than 4-6 feet and the visibility was probably 75 ft - yet according to board members this is not close enough for good buddy diving or was precluding "contact"?

Not only that, but @about 1:59 or so, between reg breathing hard and OOA the 2nd diver (buddy) was not only close, but looking at the diver going OOA. As he was beating on the camera and moving it around, you could see all the other divers except his Buddy. The camera view was quite limited on the way up and on the surface so his buddy could have still been with him. Either it was staged, he lost buoyancy control (note the bottom receding from the time he was LOA), or he panicked and bolted and has now got a good story, and on film. Truth is, he did dodge a bullet.

In any event it does show what can, or will, happen if one doesn't pay attention whilst diving.

Bob
---------------------------------------
One could have a whole discussion just on the unintended hazards of photography/videography. I believe a camera is the most dangerous piece of equipment a diver can own.

That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

Not sure why you would think so. Care to elaborate? Computers have alarms but 99 times out of 100 they are either (a) unclear in their meaning or (b) hard to hear. My feeling is that you shouldn't try to solve a skills problem with gear.

An audible alarm can help get your attention, that's all. Obviously skills are important, but since most of us use buoyancy compensators and dive computers clearly skills can be augmented with equipment.

Besides the fact the he went OOA, he kept recording!
RichH

I am surprised no one made a comment about ditching weight in an emergency situation

What emergency? Once he was on the surface he had enough air to last a lifetime, which solves the OOA problem. For some people or some circumstances there may still be a problem that constitutes an emergency, but simply being on the surface and far from the boat isn't an emergency.

since most of us use buoyancy compensators and dive computers clearly skills can be augmented with equipment.

Diver0001 said "you shouldn't try to solve a skills problem with gear," which is completely different. I hope nobody here needs me to elaborate on the difference between using the alarm on an AI computer to solve an inability to properly monitor your pressure and using the computer's calculating power for on-the-fly multi-level calculation of NDL during a recreational dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom