Close call - spot the errors leading up to it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An audible alarm can help get your attention, that's all.

What audible alarm? He was within NDL. Unless he had an air integrated computer the first alarm would have been when he made his hasty retreat to the surface.

I really really doubt that an instructor taught him to take off his mask and put it around his neck after making an emergency accent. Much more likely that with his sometimes vacation diving he got things screwed up. Seen that more than once.

I teach in a university and will repeat something 5 times and still have several students ask the question whether Chapter X will be on the test.
If there is a culprit it is the very simple, very pared down, exams with only 70% passing that are required for OW. 70% means the student did not knew 30% and nodded when they went over it with the instructor afterwards.

What audible alarm? He was within NDL. Unless he had an air integrated computer the first alarm would have been when he made his hasty retreat to the surface.

Galileo, Wisdom, and Petrel are the only computers I've had experience with. Galileo and Wisdom will both sound and audible alarm when you hit a preconfigured "low gas" level. I guess I forgot to say "air integrated".

I really really doubt that an instructor taught him to take off his mask and put it around his neck after making an emergency accent.
I am not so sure. In fact, if an instructor said something like that, I might say, 'Good on him!' - not that the mask should be put around the neck specifically after an emergency ascent, but that around the neck is better than on the forehead.

I think the issue is the 'mask on forehead as a sign of distress' situation. I DO think that panicked / stressed divers who make an abrupt ascent to the surface are somewhat likely to do one or two things (or both): a) spit their second stage out of their mouth, as they gasp / gulp air, and b) push their mask up off their face, and onto their forehead (or off their head altogether) to breath in as much air as possible. I have seen this happen more than a few times. Now, I don't see a 'mask on forehead' as an intentional sign that someone is panicked, or is distress - people who are panicked are seldom able to intentionally signal anything. But, I do see a mask dropped down around the neck as a possible indicator that someone is not panicked, that they have done it purposefully. So, it is quite possible that the diver's instructor said something like, 'Don't push you mask up or your forehead, others might think you are in distress. Better to drop it around you neck, or reverse it on your head.'' So, the diver in the video may not have been actively taught that it was a sign that he was 'OK'. Rather, he had been taught to do something that would avoid creating a possible impression that he was not OK, i.e. in distress.

Mask position is not an accepted, universal sign of anything, as far as I know. And, more than a few experienced divers may say, 'I have put my mask on my forehead at the surface for many years, and it has never been an issue.' Nonetheless, I tell students in my classes - OW, AOW, whatever - 'When you are at the surface, I DO NOT want to see your mask on your forehead!' Part of the reason is that I don't want the 'panicked diver scenario' possibility to even be an issue. But, of the three positions a diver might use when they want to take the mask off their face - a) pushed up on the forehead (with the mask strap not under much if any tension), b) dropped down around the neck, and c) reversed on the head (with the mask strap under tension), the position in which a mask is most likely to be lost, is on the forehead. And, since a lost mask on a student in one of my classes is likely to be associated with some delay (including having other divers drop down to look for it, if depth / conditions permit), I let the students know that the forehead is not an acceptable location, if they feel the need to take the mask off their face at the surface for whatever reason.

I am surprised no one made a comment about ditching weight in an emergency situation I was taught that once on the surface you ditch weight to improve flotation just incase your bc has a leak
I've seen this stated in other threads, and it makes no sense to me. I'm not ditching my weight unless I'm struggling to stay positive because if a boat is headed my direction and doesn't see me, or seems to be ignoring my smb, I need that weight to sink and get below the the oncoming boat hazard.

Been diving for 49 years and have never run out of air. Been real low a few times, but never OOA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. This is Diving 101, you keep on top of your gas supply. And carry an SMB and a whistle or Dive Alert. This guy really needs to review first principles of diving.

Before looking at your spoiler or at any other responses:

1) split fins :)
2) not tracking air consumption - it doesn't sneak up on you THAT fast
3) drift dive without a SMB / DSMB? Never
4) no alternate surface signalling - mirror and whistle are pretty basic
5) no buddy, this could get into a whole bunch of stuff

And for bonus points, they should not have been fvcking with the turtle!

This guy really needs to review first principles of diving.

Definitely. But given that OOG is the most common trigger for rec diving fatalities, I'd say he's not the only one who needs to do that.

Back
Top Bottom