CO - how high will you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don and all,

Just so you'll know, you need to use the absolute pressure in atmospheres to make the multiplication that Don makes above. I've explained this on a newer thread:

How Much CO is divable

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP, CIH, MSPH

I test my tanks after filling here in Cal and they always read 0. My exhaled breath reads 1-2 ppm so that should be safe. I read somewhere the European standard of max of 4ppm, and I'd use that as my max, but if you get any reading above 0 it is a red flag about the filling facility; they should be reading 0.

if you get any reading above 0 it is a red flag about the filling facility; they should be reading 0.
Well, Parts Per Million is such a minute measurement. It's fortunate that we can now have field testers that measure in such quantities at reasonable prices, but 1 ppm could easily be a rounding or measurement error.

Testing each and every tank is the safest approach, altho it does get boring when you get zero after zero - until you get your first hit. :eek:

In OZ its 5 ppm, just checked the Queensland regs.

In OZ its 5 ppm, just checked the Queensland regs.
So is that all of Australia, or just Queensland. He's in Victoria...
Well the start of the diving holiday has been interesting. I discovered on my first tank that my analyzer does in fact read above 001 when I got a read of 15ppm on the first tank I tested. Immediately rejecting it, I managed to find two tanks that were down around 7ppm.

So is that all of Australia, or just Queensland. He's in Victoria...

So you arent just a pretty face DD. Clearly Qld has tighter regulations that the OZ standard

The Australian Standards;

AS/NZS 2299.1:2007 Extract

3.13.1 Breathing air

Breathing air used in diving operations shall—

(a) have no objectionable or nauseous odour;

(b) contain not less than 20% and not more than 22% by volume of oxygen;

(c) contain not more than 11 mg of carbon monoxide per cubic metre (10 p.p.m. by volume);

(d) contain not more than 900 mg of carbon dioxide per cubic metre (480 p.p.m. by volume); and

(e) contain not more than 0.5 mg of oil per cubic metre.

Clearly Qld has tighter regulations that the OZ standard
So it's 5 ppm for Qld, 10 ppm for Oz overall - unless other provinces may have lower limits - and the shop he was at was in violation, just not busted it seems.

This is quite interesting as I am going to Solomons in June. Doing deep diving to 100m so I want my gas to be clean, not just lower than some countries standard somewhere. I will be taking all my analysers to ensure we get good gas. No clean gas and 12 people will not dive.

Back
Top Bottom