Cobra 3 - Deco Mode - Confused!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True enough, but since the manual that comes with his new computer explains how deco mode works, he should understand it in case of a dive inadvertently exceeding the NDL. It's considered a recreational (no-deco) computer, and the idea is to plan every dive to avoid exceeding the NDL. However, the user should understand how to handle unplanned deco in the event it happens for whatever reason. My Suunto manual appears to be carefully worded to imply that deco diving is an unplanned contingency, not something to plan for: "If you exceed the no-decompression limits on a dive, the dive computer will provide the decompression information required for ascent."

Looks like Hatul answered the OPs specific question. The Suunto manuals are well written and clear, in my opinion, but it's certainly possible not everything is clear to everyone.

Can you explain how someone could inadvertently end up in deco? Most likely they won't have enough gas as well.

Can you explain how someone could inadvertently end up in deco? Most likely they won't have enough gas as well.

You're being facetious, right?

No, hes 100% serious and trolling for the same argument that appeared in the thread I posted earlier.

And NCadiver heres how:
You learn on an 80 if your like most people. Your air consumption sucks, you blow through the whole tank in half your NDL. (hence watching your gage not your NDL) Then you progress, your consumption gets better, and you get closer to that NDL...but still safe. Then suddenly you borrow a tank from a buddy with a lot more experience than you...say a 120 or 130. Now your OK on air, and have a ****load of it. Unfortunately your still in the habit of watching the gage...

Now your computer says you have a ceiling and you don't why...

And before you argue, that's what happened to me, and I have personally witnessed similar things happening to 3 other new divers in just one year since I have been certified.

Plan your dive, dive your plan. Its the universal catch all that unfortunately isn't universally followed.

The OP is asking the right questions and learning what his computer is telling him BEFORE it tells him, not after. I see no fault what so ever in that.

Now please let us move forward for the love of god. Read the thread a few posts back if you want to witness the argument without having it again.

You're being facetious, right?

I guess that goes along with running out of air inadvertently.

No, hes 100% serious and trolling for the same argument that appeared in the thread I posted earlier.

And NCadiver heres how:
You learn on an 80 if your like most people. Your air consumption sucks, you blow through the whole tank in half your NDL. (hence watching your gage not your NDL) Then you progress, your consumption gets better, and you get closer to that NDL...but still safe. Then suddenly you borrow a tank from a buddy with a lot more experience than you...say a 120 or 130. Now your OK on air, and have a ****load of it. Unfortunately your still in the habit of watching the gage...

Now your computer says you have a ceiling and you don't why...

And before you argue, that's what happened to me, and I have personally witnessed similar things happening to 3 other new divers in just one year since I have been certified.

Plan your dive, dive your plan. Its the universal catch all that unfortunately isn't universally followed.

The OP is asking the right questions and learning what his computer is telling him BEFORE it tells him, not after. I see no fault what so ever in that.

Now please let us move forward for the love of god. Read the thread a few posts back if you want to witness the argument without having it again.

So with all your diving experience even though you can't monitor your NDL and your Depth which is usually by NDL, You know all the questions the OP asks are answers in the user manual for the computer. Right?

And in your OW class and manual you have been told to monitor your NDL and cylinder pressure in other words scuba 101.

I guess that goes along with running out of air inadvertently.

So with all your diving experience even though you can't monitor your NDL and your Depth which is usually by NDL, You know all the questions the OP asks are answers in the user manual for the computer. Right?

And in your OW class and manual you have been told to monitor your NDL and cylinder pressure in other words scuba 101.

Oh do be careful with that one. I don't know anything about you, nor do you know anything about me, or the and neither of us the OP for that matter. If you can pick up a manual for a subject you have minimal exposure to, read it cover to cover, and apply every chapter and every word to your next dive, then wow, we should all be so lucky. An OW cert is all about the instructor not the agency right? So if you are an instructor and generate perfect students, congratulations. If you are not an instructor but are a perfect student as a result of a perfect instructor, again, congratulations. There are good instructors out there, and there are lousy ones. To think that everyone gets in the water with the same level of base knowlege is not only ignorant, but dangerous. I think its all too easy for experienced divers to forget about their first out of class dives. The lucky ones had mentors to show and guide them, the unlucky ones, rent or buy a bunch gear and figure it out. Most eventually become good divers, some don't stick with diving at all. But anyone that assumes all OW classes are equal and everyone learns everything they were supposed to is in denial, and thats why people quit the sport or worse.

A new diver buying a computer, reading the manual, and asking a community of more experienced divers for clarification on points he does not understand is THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Calling the diver out for not getting it the first time around or having learned it already is NOT constructive, and NOT helpful.

To the OP: thank you for putting this in a non-"flame free" section.

No, hes 100% serious and trolling for the same argument that appeared in the thread I posted earlier. . . .

I'm not biting. And notice that none of SB's most experienced posters have chimed in, either. Nope, I'm not going there. Even the OP hasn't been back to this thread.

I'm not biting. And notice that none of SB's most experienced posters have chimed in, either. Nope, I'm not going there. Even the OP hasn't been back to this thread.

Foiled again. I need to stop reading posts on here...

Point taken. Unsubscribed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom