Cobra Suunto3 computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pookie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am finally going to buy a dive computor! I hate gadgets so I want something simple and air integrated. Prefer console.I use nitrox and will probably never dive past 100 ft. Does anyone know about the new suonto cobra 3? Any recomendations.

It is Suunto Cobra3! :D

Looks like a great computer, with a built in compass, and AI.

However I generally don't like the conservative RGBM model. I prefer the Haldanean model used by Aeris/Oceanic and others.

I'm sure some users will post. The Cobra3 also does deco, so if you do push the NDL's a bit, you will just be required to do some additional stop time. If you never push NDL's, or go deep, than it really should not matter what algorithm is used. IOW's if you don't dive deep. OTOH, I never used to push NDL's, and now do so every time I'm on vacation.

My dive buddy(wife) uses it and is pleased with it's operation and ease of use. I use the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and like the slightly more liberal alorgrithm.

I own an original Cobra and love it. Get the optional quick disconnect, it make storage and travel a breeze

Suunto makes great computers. The Cobra 3 out very soon is an upgrade from the Cobra 2. Both are AI with electronic compass. The Cobra 3 has a 3D compass feature vs. the 2 dimensional compass of the Cobra2. Since the Cobra 3 is just released, the Cobra2 dropped in price dramatically. You can get a smokin deal on one. My LDS today dropped the Cobra 2 to $400 (from almost $700) while they last. Check them both out, you may find the feature upgrade isn't worth almost double.

Just my 2psi...

I just did my first few dives on my Cobra 3. I like it, though it is more complicated than the Vyper that I have passed on to my son.

Who has them for $400?

Suunto makes great computers. The Cobra 3 out very soon is an upgrade from the Cobra 2. Both are AI with electronic compass. The Cobra 3 has a 3D compass feature vs. the 2 dimensional compass of the Cobra2. Since the Cobra 3 is just released, the Cobra2 dropped in price dramatically. You can get a smokin deal on one. My LDS today dropped the Cobra 2 to $400 (from almost $700) while they last. Check them both out, you may find the feature upgrade isn't worth almost double.

Just my 2psi...

To report in after a week of diving with my new Cobra 3: I like it! It provides everything I need in one screen - air, no-deco time, dive time, compass heading... Once calibrated, the "3D" compass really is quite tolerant of holding the unit at different angles. I have it on a quick disconnect, and was able to leave my reg on the boat and take the computer away each day to download the data to my Mac using a beta version of MacDive (thanks to Nick!).

Our entire family dives Suunto Computers (Vypers and Gekkos).........

Easy to read and conservative.......which I like as my children and wife are diving them.........:)

I noticed in you Profile that you are working towards being a Master Scuba Diver.......

Now like Ron, I find myself in deco very easily with the computer, no big deal just surface slowly and let the deco obligation clear................

Even my then 16 year old son came very close on the Hilma Hooker wreck in Bonaire, on a dive that was not very aggressive (we basically went around the wreck once slowly)..........we got out of the water with over 1200 psi each..........but we maxed our NDL bottom time at least according to the computer.........

Moral of the story, Suunto's are very very conservative................

I guess if you go on with your diving then you might see this as an issue with the computer........................

Personally, I don't and I am considering buying a wireless AI Vytec.........:)

Hope this helps...................M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom