Cochran EMC-16 or EMC-20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry reef - I just re-read your post and realized that you were asking about the EMC-20H, not the EMC-16.

Brian

ReefCrew:
IF I Can get the 16 and upgrade to trimix down the road then evern better as it saves me a few extra $$

I don't think you can - I think that was just me misreading a post that lead to the confusion...

Brian

ReefCrew:
IF I Can get the 16 and upgrade to trimix down the road then evern better as it saves me a few extra $$

You had better check carefully with Cochran and your dealer on that issue. I may be wrong but Cochran may not offer a direct (software only) upgrade path from any version of the EMC-16 to any version of the EMC-20H. The Hardware sure looks the same, at least on the outside, and for all I know it may even be the same, but Cochran is the only place that is capable of doing the upgrade, and if they won't do it you would be stuck.

Mark Vlahos

All in all I think I will probably get the 16 with a single Nitrox and just upgrade as I need it.

I suspect by the time I am really diving trimix there will be bigger technology available.

I would purchase the base EMC-20H and then upgrade it as necessary.. The 20h generates much nicer decompression profiles..

The extra 4 compartments of the EMC-20H over the EMC-16 are ONLY used during tri-mix dives. If you have a 16 and a 20 set up the same for any dive (Other than tri-mix) they will be the same.

The 16 can be upgraded to 2 FO2, 2 PO2, and alot of time, but NOT tri-mix

ReefCrew:
All in all I think I will probably get the 16 with a single Nitrox and just upgrade as I need it.

I suspect by the time I am really diving trimix there will be bigger technology available.

I agonized over the same thing, in the end after a 2 hour conversation with Cochran, I go the 16. If I get to do Trimix, it will prolly be at least 2 years, and the next thing will be out and more research done etc...then my 16 will be a backup/bottom timer.

Back
Top Bottom