Coco View Food

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not talking about desiring "haute cusine" by any stretch of the imagination. When we stayed their 2 years ago the food was not good. The hamburger was uneditable heck, they screwed the shrimp up. Simple stuff would suit me fine; spaghetti, mac and cheese, hot dogs, soup etc. I would echo Damselfish; whatever the food choice do it well. The deres were just awful; heck some good ice cream would have sufficed. To my way of thinking, such a good place could be made unbeatable if the food preparation was upgraded. I know we would not hesitate going back if that aspect was addressed.

When I went there I thought the food was OK but not great by any means. But I'm going to eat whatever you put in front of me so it was not a big deal. I thought the food was much better at the Reef House Resort as was the diving. The best food I have had at an AI is at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. That food is excellent!

I know we would not hesitate going back if that aspect was addressed.

It was.

Hi Doc, when was the food situation addressed? I think we were there in 2012, I will have to double check that, but if it has changed since then we would be inclined to give it a go this year.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2015 at 08:21 AM ----------

BDSC, I heard Cayman Brac was good as well. If they can do it I don't see why Coco View can't. Roatan was very convenient to fly to from BWI, the accommodations were fine, the diving lockers etc. setup was great and I really enjoyed the freedom and ease of their shore diving. I would be remiss in not mentioning that all the people/staff were very friendly.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2015 at 08:28 AM ----------

I checked with my dive buddy; we were there late summer of 2012.

You've apparently been eating spicy food at the wrong place, RobinT. Your interest is valid but it's lack of cleanliness, not spice, that causes the problem you mention.

Actually what I am talking about PRIMARILY is that some places use too much garlic or other strong flavors in their foods at dinner. Nothing worse than eating dinner then doing a night dive and burping garlic the whole dive.... seriously, I did this recently. Another night, ditto a heavy cream sauce on my grilled fish. And yes, I did try scraping it off of the fish but there was enough that it bothered me later. Underwater, I do not want to revisit my dinner. It has nothing to do with cleanliness, it has to do with the chef. Food was delicious in each case, but not good for me.

Been to CCV 3 times and I can say the food was passable at best, but by the end of the week we had enough red beans and rice. I look at other Caribbean destinations and I agree with BDSC, the Bay Islands resorts can't seem to get food right. Compared to Cayman Brac (Brack Reef Resort), Little Cayman (Little Cayman Beach Resort) and Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman, the food is miles better at these places which to me is better value for the diver's dollar. The food at CCV to me is not offset by how many shore dives I can do by the end of a week. The caveat to any discussion about a dive destinations food is all in the taste buds of the beholder. I have some dive buddies who love to do the condo thing in Bonaire and Grand Cayman, buy food and cook their meals. Geez, I do that at home. I'm not going to cook and wash dishes on vacation, but some folks love that.

Not to get too off topic, but one of the reasons I am torn between the Bay Islands and Cozumel is that the Mexican food in Coz is so reliably good. I can eat Mexican food every day for weeks before I start craving a burger.

I was at CCV January of 2012, and then again January of 2015. I thought the food was good both trips, however I don't think it changed much over those 3 years. I'm just glad its still a buffet, as I like how fast you can get your food and eat, then go back out and dive. I do wish that the dinner time started a little earlier however. I know I will be back.

BDSC, I heard Cayman Brac was good as well.

It is. Actually, I thought the food at the Brac Reef Beach Resort was better then LCBR the first few times I visited both. But over the past few years, I think it swung in the favor of the Little Cayman Beach Resort. But both are outstanding. They serve buffet style as well and most folks think buffet food just means lots of food with so so quality. Not at either of those resorts. It's the best I have found in the Caribbean. All their food has to be flown in for the most part so you know it's expensive to get it to them but they can still offer two top notch resorts with great diving and food for a reasonable cost. It's why we continue to go back and will be back in August!

That's what I am talking about, food in caymans is better. I have no problem paying a little more for good quality food, even though CoCo view charges a fair amount for their week, Most American's would not have a problem paying a little more for food that was prepared to a higher standard. No offense to the cooks on staff but hire a trained cook to oversee kitchen operation. It may not be food quality as much as preparation that is under a microscope here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom