Coco view - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been there twice and have a trip scheduled on Aug 30th for a week and a trip scheduled for May 16, 09. My last trip there I dove with and dined with a fine gentleman from Houston named Hal. My buddy and I commented that this was our second trip and Hal replied that this was his 60th. YES SIXTY. Our first trip, we took our non diving wives. My wife was very happy just sitting on the gazebo, playing with the Mayor of CC - Pancho, and doing a little snorkeling. My buddies wife's first comment off the boat was were is the pool....and it went downhill from there. On our first trip we did a night dive with Doc, who leads night dives to raise money for the family of one of the DM's that died. Is Doc opinionated? Well he was dealing with two airline captains and you couldn't put three more opinionated people in the water together and we enjoyed every second of the dive and visiting with him the rest of the week. I truly hope the post about him getting his experience from the web was a joke...The staff is super and you will be very fortunate to be there when Rebecca is working. If I ran any type of business I would want 100 Rebecca's working for me.
Vis was down a couple of times on the Prince Albert due to tidal flows but basically is always around 80 feet but sometimes much more. Get bored diving the same two walls twice a day? Change your depth. My buddy and I did our last two dives on Coco View Wall and never went below 20 feet and stayed up on top in the coral heads. No one else was up there and we saw some great photo ops. Big fish, a few. Bonaire has more but Roatan is just getting their marine park reserve started (donate to it please). We have stayed in Cabana #1 twice but this time we are renting a house just to check it out.
Don't miss Calvin's Crack and Mary's Place. BTW, the little flat where the mooring line is for Mary's Place is a neat place to just lay on the bottom and watch the jawfish.
Dive the Prince Albert at night also as it is truly a whole new place. The little sunken boat between the Prince Albert and the DC-3 has a hole in the side....DO NOT STICK your hands in there...he is big. Green moray. The flats between the Prince Albert and the chain/buoy leading in to the resort is filled with little things as is the chain leading in.....SLOW DOWN AND THEN SLOW DOWN SOME MORE. The chain is not a race way and I have seen and taken pics of quite a few critters there. My buddy usually leaves me on the chain and is back in the equipment room before I get out. It is only about three feet deep.
Coco View is a place to DIVE and DIVE a lot. If you go there with that in mind, relax, enjoy the food (nothing fancy but lots of it and it is good) enjoy the people, well just enjoy. Liz, Lobo, Patty, Tim and the rest of the crew are there for you.
When you get off the airplane and walk through customs you will meet Nora and she will hug you and say "Welcome Home Baby". Relax, you are home now.

PS: Pack for the trip then take half the clothes you have laid out and then maybe a little more taken away. Take twice as much money as you think you will need...tips etc.

Last edited:
At CCV it doesn't take much for you to look like a participant in a pimps and ho's party.
:rofl3:

Hilarious! I have to be cute all week at home. The last thing I want to do is wear make-up on a dive vacation! My fellow travelers will be lucky to catch me with my legs shaved more than twice during the trip.

I have reserved 12 spots at CCV for April '09. There are still 8 spots open.

Daily agenda = Dive! Dive!...Laugh...Dive!...Laugh...Eat...Tip back a cold one or two...Laugh...Sleep...Dive some more!

If that sounds like a good trip to anyone out there....let me know. No high-maintenance whiner-types allowed. :no

Tons of info available on tripadvisor as well. I've been 6 times and going back in August with friends who also been there bunches. Bring deet and use it. And dive dive dive!

Coco really doesn't change all that much in the ways that count (well at least since 1993 ...!). And little improvements keep happening over time. New owners took over some years ago and they did nothing to affect the character and continued to make little improvements that are all good. The owners are remote and leave things in the very capable hands of Liz and Doug to run the office and maintenance respectively. The dive operation is a well oiled machine, and the staff is just the best.

Just know that Coco is really laid back. If there's a non-diver, he/she will be bored to tears - unless their idea of a great time is reading for a week in a hammock and listing to divers and their stories.

WOOHOO!! this sounds perfect. there are no non-divers and we are all there to dive, dive, dive with a little relaxing in between. we leave tomorrow. i'll post a trip report when we get back. thank you to everyone for your information. the people on scubaboard have taught me so much and i always know where to go to ask a question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom