CoCo View/Utila Lodge Report/Pics, Long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I love the diving on Roatan. Utila is on my list of places to go. Please do post more pics.

Thanks,
SWT

mjh,

I was diving with the Bay Island College of Diving (Instruction Center for the Utila Lodge) that same week so we most likely ran into each other. I must say that they are by far the most profesional dive shops in Utila. I have used other dive shops but BICD (Utila Lodge) are by far the best.

They have three great boats, the Sea Spray (Reserved for guests of the Utila Lodge), the Tiburon and the Neptune. All three boats and specially the Sea Spray and the Neptune have a great reputation as the best boats to find whale sharks. Surface intervals are usually spent searching for these great animals.

BICD and Utila Lodge have a great crew and staff. Our captain was Albert who normally guides other captians to find un-marked dive sites such as the mounds found on the South Side by the airport caves.

You have a great post and I am glad you liked Roatan and Utila. Next time you might want to consider a couple of days in the mainland to visit the mayan ruins of Copan or one of many natural reserves.

I live in San Pedro Sula (mainland Honduras) and when work becomes a little to much I take off to Utila for 2 to 3 days of diving. I can't tell you how lucky I feel that I can do this. I will be back in Utila on Sept. 3 for 4 days of diving and then 3 days in roatan. I will dive with Utila Lodge and in Roatan I use smaller operations such as Happy Divers or Sueno del mar.

Thanks again for the great post and I hope we can follow up to share photos and dive stories.

Semita
Sol, Agua, Vida......

Fantasic report! Thanks for sharing...really makes me want to go there. Who did you book with?

PS:I love the eagle ray pics....heck I love all your pics...well done!

mjh,

Sorry I was not able to get in touch with you during the week at CCV. My week over at FIBR was equally as fantastic. I did 3-4 dives a day and was pretty worn out by evening. I too am an early to sleep and up to dive person. We had pretty much the same as you did. Of course though I was traveling with my LDS and we had a set group and we dove as a group together. We had the same boat and DM for all of our dives all week. That was fun, Daren was the DM and Moses our boat Captain. They were both terrific. Daren found lots of seahorses for us too. I have some pretty good pictures. I have started a Gallery in the SB gallery. I have so many though I haven't finished adding them.

I am so jealous of the eagle ray, we tried to find one but never did.

Did you dive the Prince Albert? I did a night dive out there on Thursday night. That was totally awesome.

Glad you had such a great trip. I can also relive mine through the photos.

Thank You mjh
We are going to CCV for our first time in Oct. Your trip report was just what I needed to justify spending the extra money, than going back to Cozumel. We are still new divers with only 36 dives but want to experience more wall diving that is a short distance from our hotel. The place sounds great! We really like the idea of it's isolation away from everything and I'm sure we can meet more experience divers who wouldn't mind letting us pick their brains. Thanks for putting the time and effort into your report.

mjh - Thanks for the terrific trip report. We are planning our '05 dive trip and Roatan was first choice. All the info on the board is excellent but I was getting more and more confused. One day AKR and the next FIBR. You really helped and I now know I will be shore diving next May. Thanks a million.

TrainerAW

Thanks for the great comparison. We've considered the CCV/Utila Lodge package but we enjoy CCV so much next years May trip will be two weeks at CCV. But you've certainly givien mesomething to think about!

I love your photos, brings back very good memories.

Thanks for the great report.

Thanks all for the kind comments. Semita, I was the "bald guy" with the gold camera housing we dove two days with the College and the Fish ID talk Pete gave was great. Justlessa we have use Roatan Charters twice now. Make sure they know you want them to book the domestic or they will just book the Int'l. Seaangel the way CCV dives you run across the Prince Albert at least once per day. It is an interesting wreck with some decent live on the bow. I think it is a great wreck for people to get familiar with wreck diving on. Hope you had a chance to make it in to town it was really fun.

How close did you get to that eagle ray???

It was a “small” eagle ray, about 4ft across. It must have been very, very hungry because you could get about 2ft from it before it would move. Even then it just go a couple of feet and settle in again. I am trying to put together a series where you can see it land, start digging in and then take off. The shots were taken with the 60mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom