Coco View vs Reef House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imtoad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'm going to Roatan at the end of April and I'm trying to decide between Coco View and Reef House. I am certified rescue with around 100 dives but I'm going with a newbie open water diver and I want her to have an easy relaxed time. Coco View seems very easy but Reef House seems more diverse. Any opinions?
Thanks, Hilary

CCV is a great resort with prime shore diving that would be perfect for a newbie. I don't mean to suggest that Reef House doesn't...I haven't had the pleasure of visiting there - yet.

I think CCV and Fantasy Island share the most amazingly diverse dive opportunities on the island. You can experience shallow easy dives or deep challenging dives all within a very short boat ride. It seems like this area would give you both something to look forward to.

Maybe someone will weigh in on what the dives are like further east at Reef House :idk:

Wherever you decide to go, you will absolutely LOVE Roatan :D

Imtoad,

I stayed at Reef House a couple of years ago and at Coco View last September. If you're asking about the diversity of the dive sites, then, RH does offer more diversity because you go to three different dive sites a day rather than two. RH has 2 tank morning dive, return for lunch, and then a 1 tank afternoon dive. CCV, as you probably know, gives you a morning boat dive (boat dives are limited to 1 hour) then a drop off dive, swim in & have lunch. Then, an afternoon boat dive then a drop off dive, swim in & have dinner. The drop off is a fine dive but if you're looking for diversity, you may find that, after a few days of diving Newman's Wall/Coco View Wall/Prince Albert Wreck, it starts to get repetitive. On the other hand, for a newbie, the shore diving is a great way to get in a lot of very easy dives. Shore diving at RH is almost as easy but you sometimes have to deal with low tide, surge or surf entry/exit. You will enjoy the diving whichever resort you choose. The things I like about CCV is their locker set-up and their overwater cabanas. The things I like about RH is their food, and smaller size.

I've not stayed at CCV (I have visited) but it certainly gets high marks from many divers on SB. I have been to RHR several times and it's terrific. One of the owners is always on site and lives right at the complex. This means a lot. The complex is much smaller than CCV and very relaxed. Frankly, almost none of the dives on Roatan are a problem for a newbie and that's what makes it a great place for everyone.
You will visit some of the same dive sites from either resort but RHR will take you to sites that are only visited by their divers. Many are pristine and have almost no diving pressure. CCV and FIR both visit the same sites and both are larger. That means you have about 4 or 5 times as many divers visiting sites each week. It does make a difference.
There is excellent shore diving at RHR. You can do entries from the cement pier or you can ask for a drop off after the afternoon dive. It is a great wall and one of the finest dives on the south side with lots of life. There is a very special dive at Morat Wall that is easily the best on Roatan but there will probably be a small additional charge to get there.
They have a nice turtle sanctuary on the property with a deck right on it. The atmosphere is extremely friendly and they will go out of their way to accomodate your needs.
Davit is one of the most experienced DM's on Roatan and does a great job. He is especially good with newbies by the way.
RHR is actually on a small key with about 100 families. You have the ocean on the front side of the resort and the most picturesqe village on the back side. You will see children commuting to school in water taxis every day. You can easily hail a water taxi at any time and go for a really fun tour of the mangroves.
Beer and wine is really cheap at RHR.
CCV is slightly nicer than RHR but both are clean and fairly basic compared to some other exotic locations. You won't go wrong with either but I like the smaller size and village location of RHR.

I have to agree with the others, I think you will be happy with either. I think CCV might get a slight edge just because of the shore diving, particularly the night diving which is so easy and so good.

I have not been to CCV, but have been to FI right next door and they do the same set of dives and share the shore diving between them. Both are all inclusive and some of the larger resorts in the area. Some of the above posts give you a pretty good idea of what to expect at CCV.

I dove with Reef House this past summer and had a great time. Many of the dive sites they go to are too far east for the others to get to, so you are on the only boat there.

About the farthest east they go is Calvins Crack, and you will probably run into other divers there; but they also do a dive called Carlos Crack which is just as good and much less populated.

Davit, the divemaster, is great at finding small critters, and very careful about protecting the reef. That means newbees will get their bouyency right, or not do some of the more pristine sites.

Reef House is a very small resort, I think a total of 11 or 12 rooms total. The rooms are small but comfortable and have flat screen televisions that you can hook your digital camera right up to and get a great view of your daily photos. The food is all very good. Not buffet style like the bigger places; what they are serving for that meal is what there is; again, all very good. They will ask you the first day if you have any foods you don't eat and will work with you around those needs.

There is a fabulous shore dive right out front of the resort that is one of the better dives on the island. The entry can be a rough one sometimes if there are waves or low tide. Some of the coral heads are very close to the surface at the entry point. On calm days the dive is great!

Click on the number next to the word "photos" under my avatar to see some photos from diver there. The first 15 or so shots are from my Reef House trip.

Have fun and dive safe! BK

Hi
Rather than start a new thread with the same question, can I revive this one? It's from 6 years ago. I've read all through it and looked at Doc's great photos, so I'm wondering - what has changed significantly? Do the above comments still apply?
Just got back from a week in Bonaire and already planning next year's vacation. Have never been to Roatan before. We are not night-life people, and we don't dive all day, every day, either. We're looking for something quiet and relaxing, 2-3 dives per day, prefer boat dives but will do shore dives with easy entry (I have arthritis). We like the evenings quiet (go to bed early) and a resort where we can get to know other guests rather than a busy hotel atmosphere.
We liked Buddy Dive in Bonaire and Scuba Club Cozumel, if anyone is familiar with those as examples.

We went to RHR four years ago. Diving was good -- but IMO the "resort" was more of a hostel, certainly not up to Scuba Club Coz standards. Never been anywhere else on Roatan, which is truly a third world non-paradise.

We went to RHR four years ago. Diving was good -- but IMO the "resort" was more of a hostel, certainly not up to Scuba Club Coz standards. Never been anywhere else on Roatan, which is truly a third world non-paradise.
Thanks. That doesn't surprise me but it sounds interesting and we're willing to try it. however I'm hoping to hear from someone who's been there more recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom