CoCoView Roatan CHEAP! May 15-22, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Most folks have heard of Roatan and CoCo View. This is the place you go for "total immersion diving". It is possible to easily log 5 dives per day, it is suitable for newbie divers as well as "advanced critter hunters". It's a great place to do your "open water referral" for certification, it's a better place for easy-breezy diving that has lots of critters to see!

The boats are of a quality that you will use to compare all other dive boats. The shore dive (in the "Front Yard"), which lies at the steps of your room, is so good that many divers just skip the boat dives. There are so many underwater landmarks that night diving is quite inviting- as getting lost is hard to do.

I go on a lot of dive trips, but make it back to CCV at least twice a year. This will be my 24th trip with a total of about 52 weeks in duration. :07:

It is an inviting, friendly place that you will find comfortable and refreshing. Think Robinson Crusoe with SCUBA. This is not a Club Dread, they make no pretense. The water is purified and there is a 5 Gallon jug of commercially bottled water in each room. I use it for mixing up powdered drink mix I've brought along and brushing my teeth. The rooms have one twin and one single with ceiling and fans and a floor fan. There are cloteslines outside and sunning areas. The resort is isolated on it's own private 10 acre key- there are simply no security issues. They give us keys, mostly because we think we need them. Other resorts, even on Roatan, can not boast of this.

Most of the dive sites are less than 10 minutes away, and we will also do the famous Mary's Place... and a site I like even better: Clavin's Crack, Doc's Dive, Valley of the Kings, Two Tall Two Small, Carib Point, Iron Shore, Forty Foot Point, Little French Key, Managerie, and other favorites as well.

Sand Fleas (no-see-ums) are endemic to the Caribbean and the Bay Islands are known to have the best Sand Fleas. Always use DEET when leaving your room or when getting off of the dive boat. CCV is blessed over and above all other resorts in that it is fully bathed by the prevailing SSE breezes and that the private 10 acre caye is free of standing water and has the foliage cut back. Some take Benadryl tabs or gel to help out, but many never notice them. Some folks must taste better, though.

The food is served family buffet style, it is good, plentiful and varied. Some other resorts on Roatan serve similar foods but arrange it on a plate- getting rave reviews. Take what you want and fuel up for your next dive.

The food is served up three times a day, and Dinner may include Turkey, Island Chicken, Steak and Lobster or Crab, lots of Shrimp, Italian night and great dessert pies! The salad bar rolls out of the ultra modern kitchen at 1820 hrs and dinner is laid out ten minutes later. Lunches include regular entrees including sub sandwiches, burgers, tacos, soups, as well as the omnipresent rice and beans. I have travelled with a Vegan to CCV many times and they never requested special foods in advance- although you may. Plan on gaining 5 pounds. Results may vary. :11ztongue

They are buying us a free "welcome drink" but the bar is available almost any time and beer is $1.50. There is a hot tub to relax in and massages, pedicures, and local artisans come daily to tempt you with their creations.

There is little shopping to do on Roatan otherwise. Things to bring back as gifts include Vanilla Extract, Coffee, Cinnamon Sticks, Flor de Cana Rum and wooden carvings. Cigars are cheaper in the US.

The resort features 4 fifty foot dive boats with approx 13-15 divers maximum on each. They are waaaay roomy. They have other boats for "all day trips" and Whale Shark trips when they are spotted. In the May time sphere- there is a possibility!

The accomodations are over the water Cabanas that feature front walls that are one large screen- an unobstructed view over a live and active reef. There are also on shore (10' back) rooms that have a/c (not necesary). Watch Spotted Eagle Rays and baby Nurse Sharks patrol the 18" of water just at your feet.

No more than 1 minute walk from the rooms is the "shore entry". :wink: This entry is about 45 seconds walk from the dive op, gear storage and tanks. Three minutes snorkel ahead lies the intact 140' Prince Albert wreck. look for her resident 6' Moray... or maybe by the wreck of the DC3 aircraft. She lies intact in 35-65fsw, sitting upright... her anchor chain is what you just followed out from your room. The swim out to her is an aquarium of delights. Commonly seen in CCV's "Front Yard" are Garden Eels, Squid, Octopus, Grouper, baby Spotted Drums, Scorpionfish, Box Crabs, Mantis Shrimp, Sailfin Blennies, Parrotfish, Upsidedown Jellyfish, Secretary Blennies, Sharp Tailed Eels, Sopotted and Green Eels, Puffers, Spotted Eagle Rays, Cudas, and more.

The "front yard" seems to have so many juveniles inhabiting the shallows it is commonly referred to as "the nursery". Baby Scorpionfish are fun to spot at night! Basket Stars, something you may have swum by and never noticed?

I have seen a Whale Shark on what many do as a shore dive. :crafty:

Bring you camera. I will use a laser to point out the almost invisible critters- showing YOU how to find them yourself the next time. Learn to find the Corkscrew Anemone, see the irridescent blue and clear Pedersen Cleaning Shrimp... then find the hidden crustacean that lurks inside. There is so much to see!

See also the unusual Yellow Cup Coral, as well as the rarely seen Orange Ball Corellamorphs. There are also resident Frogfish and occasional Toadfish.

There are so many Seahorses at the South side of Roatan- I pretty well forgot to mention them. The real trick is to find the Pipefish. They are hard to spot!

CCV also just sank a 65' shrimp boat as another dive site, the "Mr. Bud".

The trip includes everything as shown at http://www.cocoviewresort.com that any normal trip would include... except the price. PM me for the eceptionally low trip price. Taxes and extras are... extra. That would mean things like tips, bar, chamber donation, NitrOx, etc. Of course, all food, airport transfers by private coach, welcome drink and unlimited diving are included. Check their website. Try pricing this out- this is a combo deal, you have to buy both the ground and air. Do this by calling 800 282-8932 ext 307 and ask Liz for "Doc's May Trip" to get this price. Liz will give you the flight times and can arrange your domestic portion as well.

What will be different (besides the low price) ?

We will talk by email and by phone in case you have any specific concerns or questions that are best handled by an experienced travelling diver.

We will meet at IAH and have a little pre flight fun.

We will have an opportunity for 1 (or more) guided night dives every night. This is why you come to CCV! I have a very powerful array of UV/Black Lighting so that we can see the corals fluoresce brilliantly in electric greens, blues and reds. and... did you know that Caribbean Anemone and Bansded Coral Shrimp also glow? We get in the water every night at 2000 hrs, and maybe again at 2300?

If you want to do a dawn dive- knock yourself out- I'm sleeping in until that Honduran Coffee and my Omelet (or French Toast, Pancakes, Fruit, Hot/Cold Cereal, Bacon, Sausage and more) is ready.

I have a very powerful 10x glass magnifier just for you to keep and enjoy the many macro wonders we'll find. You'll find this very useful on future trips.

On our off-gassing day, we will do what most visitors to Roatan never do- we will go to the largely unexplored East End- you'll know what Roatan "used to look like". You might also like to do the Wiakula Shark Dive, the Jungle Canopy Tour, White Water Rafting, The AKR Dolphin Experience.

I've been there a number of times, and it still beckons me back. I would like to share the experience of the "Front Yard" with you- I have no greater joy than pointing at almost invisisble critters and watching your expression!

Hope you join us! Call 800 282-8932 x307 for "Doc's May Trip"

Doc (aka: RoatanMan) & Pam (aka: "Herself")

SB-TA 4/4

I forgot to say that Pam & I are working on the creation of yet another oddball "Specialty" certification. That's one of the big reasons we're leading this outing.

Tentatively titled as "Voluntary Creature Interaction", it is all about how divers can elicit behaviors from such critters as Octopus, Squid, Turtles, Eels (& more) that include their initiating, escalating and maintaining contact with the diver.

We will start with methods for establishing contact with the beast, how to approach it :profile: , how to get it's attention in a non threatening manner.

Pam has developed a consistently effective method that can get most any larger Caribbean Octopus to dance with her arm, sometimes wrapping around her head.

Getting a squid to touch you :11ztongue is childs play.

Turtles are usualy a push over for attention. :wink:

Hope you'll join us in this fun project- let's see if the sea critters want to play... it's all up to them- but you have to invite them! :1poke:

Beast and I returned from CCV yesterday and I can promise it's everything Doc says it is. I'm a mere newbie there with only 6 trips, Doc knows the creatures by first name!

One thing we noticed that was really different from years past was the tap water was so much fresher. It's usually sort of brackish. This year our gear never developed that funky dead critter smell. I commented to the DM that none of us had developed that stinky booty smell we love so much and he said that's because they used rain water. And I thought I'd finally found some cheap shampoo that gave me that fresh, fluffy look! I'm working on a trip report but for an idea of some of what we saw.....Caribbean Squid, Banded Jawfish with eggs, Sailfin Blennies, Octopus, teensy Spotted Drums, Green, Spotted and Goldentail Morays, Eagle Rays, Lettuce Sea Slugs, Garden eels, Anemones the size of turkey platters, and babies of just about any fish you can name....all in the front yard of the resort! Not far away on Connie's Dream we saw a Whale Shark and Frogfish.

I can highly recommend this trip and the price can't be beat. It's several hundred dollars cheaper than our trip was. Doc, we decided to make next years trip two weeks!

Hello RoatanMan,

cap10randy here from CCV chat room. How many do you have coming down to CCV in May? How many spots do you have open still? I see you are flying out of Bush Intercontenintal on May 15th also. I will see you at the terminal gate then. I am also going down that same day. :yelclap: You can't miss me I will be on crutches. Dee just got back in one piece I hear.

Cap10

WOW... RoatanMan! You really make a gal wish she was NOT out of town on business that week. I went to Roatan a couple years ago and have wanted to return ever since! It truly is a different world, one that surely beckons back to you. I stayed at Fantasy Island, which was nice and took a kayak to "check out" CoCo View. Looked nice, secluded and kinda cool!

Enjoy and perhaps next time!!

cap10:
Hello RoatanMan,

cap10randy here from CCV chat room. How many do you have coming down to CCV in May? How many spots do you have open still? I see you are flying out of Bush Intercontenintal on May 15th also. I will see you at the terminal gate then. I am also going down that same day. :yelclap: You can't miss me I will be on crutches. Dee just got back in one piece I hear.

Cap10

Right now, I think there's 3 more TACA+CCV packages to sell. Hoping that they won't go unused- it's kind of nice to get a good deal on Houston to Roatan with TACA... and rare.

I will spot your crutches. You will know me by my excited dive buddy, "Herself".

You can dive, right? (not a cast,etc?) :dance:

I hope you'll join in the 'critter interaction' experiment. :profile:

Not a cast just a missing left leg above the knee. No big deal.
I just tend to go in circles :06: and that way never get lost. You and I started diving about the same time back in the 60's. I taught diving for 18 years then retired to charter boat captain out in the Gulf of Mexico. The critter interaction sounds good. :eek:ctopus: See you at the airport.

cap10 :jaws:

cap10:
Not a cast just a missing left leg above the knee. No big deal.
I just tend to go in circles :06: and that way never get lost. You and I started diving about the same time back in the 60's. I taught diving for 18 years then retired to charter boat captain out in the Gulf of Mexico. The critter interaction sounds good. :eek:ctopus: See you at the airport.

cap10 :jaws:

Doggone, Randy......You're going again!! I guess 'ol RoatanMan don't know how BIG the circles are that you make every week! Is "R" going? Have a great time on this one!

Regards,

Cudabait:
Doggone, Randy......You're going again!! I guess 'ol RoatanMan don't know how BIG the circles are that you make every week! Is "R" going? Have a great time on this one!

Regards,

Hello Paul,

No R can't go this time she started a new job just this January and has no vacation time yet. So I am taking 5 other friends this time.Your right I do tend to make big circles. Between Ken Cruse and I out on the Gardens we cover some big territory. You need to try CoCo View next year with us, you would love it. A lot of TSD go each year.My trip is with BAD dive club. Are you and A going to be at the Lunar F. meeting tomorrow?

I will call Julie tomorrow and see if there are any openings for the Boat DM class May 1-2 if you are interested?

Cap10

cap10:
Hello Paul,

No R can't go this time she started a new job just this January and has no vacation time yet. So I am taking 5 other friends this time.Your right I do tend to make big circles. Between Ken Cruse and I out on the Gardens we cover some big territory. You need to try CoCo View next year with us, you would love it. A lot of TSD go each year.My trip is with BAD dive club. Are you and A going to be at the Lunar F. meeting tomorrow?

I will call Julie tomorrow and see if there are any openings for the Boat DM class May 1-2 if you are interested?

Cap10

CAP10R,

Too bad "R" can't go, I know how much she likes it down there. "A" and I have never been to CCV but we'd be interested in a trip next year. We'll stay in touch about that for sure. Yes, we're going to the Lunarfins open house tonight. We,ve also got a couple of wetsuits and BCD's we're gonna put on the sale table.

We're going with the club to Coz May 8-15, two weeks later I'm scheduled to DM (TL) on a trip to the gardens on SS II with a LDS group. I'll give you a call at the house about the other matter.

Regards,

"P"

Back
Top Bottom