CoCoView Roatan CHEAP! May 15-22, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jawfish:
WOW... RoatanMan! You really make a gal wish she was NOT out of town on business that week. I went to Roatan a couple years ago and have wanted to return ever since! It truly is a different world, one that surely beckons back to you. I stayed at Fantasy Island, which was nice and took a kayak to "check out" CoCo View. Looked nice, secluded and kinda cool!

Enjoy and perhaps next time!!

Next time will be the December 11-18 trip when we shoot the final "critter interaction" video. It's worth the swim across the channel :wink:

I was really wishing I could take this trip when I saw the post, but just can't swing it with a Nekton Pilot week in Belize May 1-8 (I took your advice RoatanMan - it's going to be great!) and then a Flower Gardens weekend May 15-16. Gotta get some time in back at the grindstone to pay for these fab trips. :wink:

December might work for CCV... :palmtree: we'll just have to see about that!

Have a great trip in May!

texasmermaid

[/QUOTE]
The trip includes everything as shown at http://www.cocoviewresort.com that any normal trip would include... except the price. PM me for the eceptionally low trip price. Taxes and extras are... extra. That would mean things like tips, bar, chamber donation, NitrOx, etc. Of course, all food, airport transfers by private coach, welcome drink and unlimited diving are included. Check their website. Try pricing this out- this is a combo deal, you have to buy both the ground and air. Do this by calling 800 282-8932 ext 307 and ask Liz for "Doc's May Trip" to get this price. Liz will give you the flight times and can arrange your domestic portion as well.

SB-TA 4/4[/QUOTE]

Dee asked me to have you PM me for what it costs.

Thanks to all the moderators for the guidance and assistance!

I haven't gone through all of them yet but if you'll look through the firsy two albums ----->HERE, you'll get a good idea of the diving. Topside pics to follow.

In the wreck album, the Mr. Bud is the newest wreck, just down a couple months hense no growth on it yet. We plan to compare pics of it every year!

This is part of the chain path in the front yard. You'd be amazed at what you can find in that turtle grass!

abk.sized.jpg

Geez...now I'm homesick again!

TxMermaid- make sure you take a good magnifying glass on the Nekton Belize.

The Belize reef is the same as the one that fringes Roatan and the Bay Islands (not 90 miles away), so the structure and environ is all but the same.

In Belize, I stumbled across my first Toadfish- and altho he wasn't a "Splendid Toadfish", I gotta tell you he was pretty spectacular, nevertheless. The key was to look under tiny rock overhang grottos, just above the sand- with a flashlight.

When we first did the Nekton Belize, the upper deck crewmember assigned as night dive "bubblewatcher" would watch us go in first and return last. We would do this because of his other observation- "you guys were making shore landings".

We would immediately head for the shallows and were never disappointed at night. Lots of Octopus, Crabbies, look above you for Squid- many many opportunities.

Because of the design of the Nekton, she moors on pins set in 55-70fsw, so it's easy to dive deep. At night, you could easily see Basket Stars at the reef edge, but if you continued up and went in shallow, you came back with better stories than others who went deep.

Stay shallow, go long, go slowly, look hard.

Find that Pipefish!

Dee:
I haven't gone through all of them yet but if you'll look through the firsy two albums ----->HERE,

Geez...now I'm homesick again!

The turtle grass/chain picture also makes me 'homesick'. A lot of folks can make photos come out, Dee- you have the gift of composition.

The bottles marks the trail from the shore to the Prince Albert Wreck. These little water bottles are adaptable to any shore dive situation, temporary or permanent.

When shore diving in Bonaire, we always take a 2 liter Coke bottle tethered with 15' of string to a 2# weight. You only need a bit of air inside the bottle.

Place this weight in 20fsw- and then turn into the current at Bonaire and make your dive. On the way back, stay in 20fsw and you'll always know where your car is parked.

If they're clear, Turtles are attracted to them as if they are jellies. Cudas seem to have a fascination, as well.

The ones in your photo have been there maybe 3 years, standing in at 2' deep- exhibiting interesting growths. I have tried those 'foam pool float tube' stick things- but they compress at depth (and not return) or the Parrotfish eat them :(

Thanks, Doc.

There was a guy there last year who had taken short pieces of one of those pool floaties and wrapped them around the strobe arms on his camera rig to offset the weight. He was a great hit with the parrotfish in the front yard. They are so used to divers, they would go to him and taste his floaties. Needless to say by the end of the week, there wasn't much left. Luckily the parrotfish would spit out the pieces but they kept trying!

Dee:
Thanks, Doc.

There was a guy there last year who had taken short pieces of one of those pool floaties and wrapped them around the strobe arms on his camera rig to offset the weight. He was a great hit with the parrotfish in the front yard. They are so used to divers, they would go to him and taste his floaties. Needless to say by the end of the week, there wasn't much left. Luckily the parrotfish would spit out the pieces but they kept trying!

Every time we come up with some experimental form of long term "float" marking device for use by SCUBA divers, it always looks good on the work bench- but after a while underwater....

The idea here is to solve the problem of underwater "nature trail markers". The best one I've seen is in Belize where they have erected plastic placards avery 150' along a sandy bottom. That costs big bucks. We were looking for something simpler, cheaper, and more available to Dive Clubs that want to enhance their favorite dive sites. Sometimes, simply aiding in navigation for short traverses is important.

The short term stuff is easy. Anything will last a day or so- the only trick is to make it visible as a marker and make sure that it doesn't get loose or pollute.

This is a great tip for Bonaire (or any shore dive). Always take a two liter pepsi bottle (not much air in it) and 15' of light string and a 2# weight. On your way swimming out- place this in maybe 25fsw and turn into the current for your shore dive. Upon your return in 25fsw, you'll find your parked car pretty easily. Otherwise you're lost.

Long term? We've tried DOT approved reflector tape- the expensive stuff you see on big rig trucks. Something eats it. Laserfoil holographics- no, bicycle reflectors- no, and on and on.

The best long term items so far seems to be 1/4" yellow poly braided line (not hollow core) knotted and passed thru a hole drilled in the screw top of a .5 liter water bottle, as in your picture above. Finding a piece of dead coral to tag it off to can be quite time intensive.

Simply running a long length of cord from point to point, supporting it in the middle with float bottles seems to work as well. There is a publicly visible example of this at CCV between the PA Wreck, the DC3 and Newman's Wall.

Many local photographers rip these out as they detract from photo opportunities. They also know the area intimately so they assume that visiting divers have the same comfort level. One man's vandal is another's eco-terrorist. So it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom