Coldest dive sites in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not in the U.S. but I hear that water temperatures on the Empress of Ireland can get down to around 30F.

Ripping currents and dark..........

My next stop....'after' a bit more fitness training!

NOW back to the U.S.A. :)

Jump right in. The temperature is fine.

Gosh, are internet divers always such big wanks?

Generally speaking people like to joke around a little bit. Try not to be so uptight. I hear this is a good time of year for shopping, maybe you can find a sense of humor on sale:D

Crater Lake, Oregon (national park service page here) is not the coldest lake (it is the deepest in the US), but when I dove it this July the water was 42F at the surface, with air temp over 100.

-Bryan

I did some snorkeling in Crater Lake, that is some cold water! I preferred the warmer air temps as I was only wearing a swim suit. :D

Well..... Fine...

I thought we Monterey CA divers where brave diving 46/48 degree water..:D

I guess we are not so brave after all as many of you have us beat.:mooner:

HA! I thought the same thing Jim. Gosh, I feel like such a wuse after reading this thread! :rofl3:

One thing I have often contemplated while freezing my arse off in cold water (other than "Why am I doing this?") is the concept of a current chill factor similar to wind chill.

I always seem to feel colder in cold water with current than in cold water the same temp with no current.

Generally speaking people like to joke around a little bit. Try not to be so uptight. I hear this is a good time of year for shopping, maybe you can find a sense of humor on sale:D

Perhaps. Wasn't too Buddhist of me. :D

Several hours of bumper-to-bumper on the Mass Turnpike & seven hours behind the wheel + snarky, accountant-based remarks on C vs. F / Continental vs. whatever ticks me off. Cheechako comments from Anchorage shore divers are always irritating.

X

Lake Erie is in the mid-30s at depth year round. The little quarry up the road was 34.6F in January last year (no ice either).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom