Columbia "Bricks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
I think those come from Atlantis. Could we be solving the mystery?

I don't think that's the kind of bricks to which he was alluding. Think Colombia the country, not the reef.

redhatmama:
So true, it seems that I got colder after every dive. My suit is less than a year old; it's the Aquaseude, but still hyperstretch. It doesn't dry as quickly as a lot of suits. My hooded vest is a Scubapro with the slick lining and it drys much more quickly. Doesn't stretch much though and rather hard on the ears when donning and doffing. My buddy wore a Mares 3mm and his had latex seals and I think the seals kept him warmer - along with the fact that it dries faster. My wetsuit was never completely dry during the week. If you're inclined to be cold, I would bring a 5 mm along with the 3. The 1mm is not enough this time of year.

I suppose warmth and thermal protection are a matter of preference. One DM I dove with wore nothing but shorts and hooded vest while the other wore an Aqualung 7 mm with a red fuzzy lining and side chest zipper - and he wore that will full foot fins??? :)

Columbia still looks magnificent and I know you'll love it just as much as ever!

I think it must also have to do with the food we eat for breakfast, whether you've eaten or not, gorged on coffee, and are rested. Food is fuel to keep the body warm. I'm sure to eat well before I dive and only one coffee t ostay warm.

For some reason women get colder than men in the water and after dives. Don't know what that is, why that is? Maybe you guys have lower blood pressure?

ggunn:
I don't think that's the kind of bricks to which he was alluding. Think Colombia the country, not the reef.

maybe Atlantis was off the coast of Columbia, the Country, of course? :)

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Anyway, with a 3mm, how hard can a stiff suit possibly be to put on? I've never understood why all the vacation divers have Hyperstretch. 3mm is so thin anyway that my el cheapo 3mm is a breeze to put on. I can't imagine how much easier I would want it to be. Now, with a 7mm, I can understand wanting some stretchy places...

It stretches around your curves rather well. :wink: The women's sizes are longer in the arms and legs than other women's suits. I'm 5'10 and I need a long suit.

Watch who you are calling a vacation diver, buster. :D

pilot fish:
For some reason women get colder than men in the water and after dives. Don't know what that is, why that is? Maybe you guys have lower blood pressure?

As I said earlier, my wife and I are the counter example to this. She says (and I would never say it, except to quote her) it's because she wears her insulation all the time.

redhatmama:
It stretches around your curves rather well. :wink: The women's sizes are longer in the arms and legs than other women's suits. I'm 5'10 and I need a long suit.

5'10" and curves? er, um, what wwwwwere we talking about? Awfully warm in here. :05:

If we're talking about the same site, the "T" is now a cross.

redhatmama:

I didn't mean you...just in general warm water vacation divers seem to feel they need hyperstretch and then they get cold in 80+ degree water.

Your profile doesn't say where you live, so I didn't realize you have 85+ degree water you dive in near home. Lucky you!

The closest body of water to me is the Mississippi River and some people do dive in it in drysuits. Cold, dark and deep with a heck of a current. I'm averaging 3 days of two-tank diving per month by traveling. I don't consider myself a vacation diver as that implies diving while on an annual vacation. Cozumel is my favorite dive spot as it is fairly inexpensive, offers excellent diving, and is a short hop away. I'm thinking about buying a house or condo there because I visit so often. I own a business so I don't have to plan vacation time so I can travel just about whenever I wish.

I think Henderson's marketing and the wide availabiity of Henderson suits on the Net may account for the popularity of the brand. Locally, there are no cheap wetsuits. My LDS sells the Xcel 3/2 for $279.00. The other shop sells Henderson for a lot more than the popular internet sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom