Combat Diver Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I have been watching that series for a while. I was looking forward to this one about the divers. Honestly though, I think the show about the Air Force paratroopers (I forget what they're called exactly, but they are medics and their nickname is PJs) was the most intense training so far. More than half of them were cut. I get exhausted just sitting on the couch watching these guys. They are the best of the best.

I was also surprised about the split fins so now I can say if it's good enough for a combat diver it's good enough for me.

Guys... I think he was more or less making fun of the folks here that make fun of split fins than he was the military divers.....

you know.. the ones here that freak out if someone mentions split fins in a thread....

you know... these folks....
fins2.gif

You gotta have special ops training to safely use split fins if you don't wanna die. :D

Since they never retreat they don't need to have a good back-kick.

They just use splits and force fins for sky diving, they shift to Jets when they hit the water.:D

I figure they just want to cause misdirection / confusion for the enemies that were watching the show.. :cool2:

It was a truly awesome episode. It was interesting to see what they're put through. I think the idea of disorienting the diver is perfect and should maybe be included in the rec side of the house. Because one of the instructors said something to the fact of "the ocean is unforgiving and if you don't know what you're doing, you'll die".

It was a truly awesome episode. It was interesting to see what they're put through. I think the idea of disorienting the diver is perfect and should maybe be included in the rec side of the house. Because one of the instructors said something to the fact of "the ocean is unforgiving and if you don't know what you're doing, you'll die".

Rec divers should investigate the conditions and not be in the types of conditions they (combat divers) are EXPECTING to operate in, black out conditions, cloudy, rough seas, jumping out of an airplane, 6 of them, inflatable zodiac, 20+ miles out to sea, etc etc.

Granted. However a large number of divers do dive in currents, rough seas (I would think rough for a rec diver would be anything above 1-2', granted in some areas 3-5 or better is average). I just think divers should go through some training where they have to work out common problems. example losing a reg, fin, mask. I've seem divers that can't plan a dive, recover a reg, clear a mask and freak out when they lose a fin or get caught on something. :D

When I went through my openwater training we had fins unbuckled, straps undone, masks knocked off, regs yanked out from behind. We had to take our gear off and leave it at the bottom of the pool come to the surface then swim down put our weight belt back on and recover our gear.
Now, if I get snagged in a wreck I ask my buddy to wait on helping me and let me work it out, then help me if I ask. I think it's made me into a more confident diver. I also look at every dive as a learning experience.

I'm not saying that we all should be trained to jump out of planes :) or do sub-surface assaults. But a diver should be able to plan a dive and execute the dive without looking for a leader to plan it for them. I'm hearing more and more "I'll just do what you're doing". :idk:

Please understand I'm not being mean, just inquisitive.

Rec divers should investigate the conditions and not be in the types of conditions they (combat divers) are EXPECTING to operate in, black out conditions, cloudy, rough seas, jumping out of an airplane, 6 of them, inflatable zodiac, 20+ miles out to sea, etc etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom