Combo Cozumel/Tulum Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squirm88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Would like to plan a week long trip to Cozumel and split the trip between Tulum and Cozumel. The goal would be to do a couple days of drift diving Cozumel and then a couple cave dives in the Tulum area. Would this be possible?

If so, was hoping I could get some pointers on hotels for both areas and the logistics in traveling between the two places. Would prefer to stay at a nice 5 star type resort for both. Beach and a spa at the hotel would be a plus. But I do not care for all inclusive type places. Would prefer to try out some local restaurants instead. I would be traveling with my wife and we would both be diving.

Based on searches leaning towards using Aldora for Cozumel and Protec in Tulum but I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks!

I have dove with both operations, they are both outstanding choices IMO.

There are tons of good places to stay at in Cozumel. I enjoyed staying at the Aldora Villas although it was a bit far from town for my liking, I enjoyed Casa Mexicanas too although it was pretty basic and I found that the Hotel Cozumel (now Wyndham) was a nice mix and appreciated that Aldora could pick me up directly on the on-site pier. I would be happy to return to any of the three but none of them would qualify as “five star” to me.

When I stay on the mainland I usually stay all week at a PDC resort/etc and do centoe day trips so I can’t help you on a place to stay in Tulum unfortunately. I have stayed at some five star AI’s there though and that’s why we go there in the first place - it’s more of a relaxation trip with some cenote diving involved vs. a diving trip with some relaxation included. Tulum itself can be quite pricey but I assume you are OK with that if you are requiring five star accommodations. I’m sure others here could and will make the proper recommendations for you.

The one time I actually did both locations during the same trip it was more of a backpacking trip/week (8? days I think) where we flew into Cancun and drove down to/stayed in Mahahual for several days then hit some cenote‘s for a day on the way up to Cozumel and then spent the rest of the trip in Cozumel itself. It was a lot of activity but I was expecting the tight schedule from the beginning and it turned out to be an excellent trip.

The logistics of traveling between Cozumel and the mainland are extremely easy; the ferries run regularly throughout the day so that should not be difficult for you. Taxis are very prevalent as well so unless you want to rent a car I would stick to taxis for the entire trip, just make sure you agree on the fare before accepting the ride.

Editing to add that in general I think that 7 days is really not enough time to do both and relax and have fun. We’ve done it and it was doable but we won’t do it again, not with only 7 days. 10 or 11 days would be different though and we would do it then. Also I’m assuming you’re planning on arriving in Cozumel and departing from Cancun (or vice versa). That would be another requirement for me, I am only going to want to take the ferry once.

I hope you have a great trip!

There is a nice hotel about a block away from Protec Tulum. Hotel Biwa Tulum. Haven’t stayed there but have buddies that have. Toured the property and it look very nice.

From what I am told, El Presidente is perhaps the nicest hotel on the island. I have used Aldora quite a bit and like diving with them. There are plenty of good ops to choose from and much depends upon what you want rather than who is "the best."

For the 1-week dive trip I took to Tulum a couple of years ago, I stayed in a PDC air bnb because the shop I used was located there and they were able to arrange a place for me. I dove Tulum every day.

Getting back and forth between Playa and Cozumel is normally pretty easy, but the current reports are that the ferries are a nightmare. They cut way back on schedules during the pandemic. Head over to Cozumel for You on Facebook and you will see photos of the looooong lines. There are also reports that, not unexpectedly, the ferries are really crowded and the conditions are less than pleasant.

Most of the hotels do not have the nice sandy beaches, other than the AIs at the souther end of the island. Presidente has a bit of beach, which I think they built. It’s mostly ironshore along there. Presidente is nice. There are hotels with nice beaches in the northern hotel zone, but then you are a long way from most dive sites and most dive ops won’t pick up there. Aldora picks up at the Villa, north of town, and people from northern hotels and condos sometimes come to the Villa to meet Aldora boats.

I've toyed with doing both on a single trip, but I always run into the issue of baggage capacity. My cave gear alone is probably 100lbs.

Even I bring not much more than BPW, rec reg, and just a DSMB/Spool. I would have a hard time both fitting it in my bag, and making weight.

As far as places to stay. I typically do the Southern AI thing for the diving portion of my trips to COZ, and then move to a hotel closer to town.

For Tulum, I actually prefer staying near the ferry terminal in PDC, I feel I get a better selection of places to eat from taco carts to higher end options. diving days I drive down to Tulum to do a leisurely single stage dive day, back at my AirBnB with just enough time to plug all my electronics in and chill for a couple of hours before heading to dinner.

Shop wise, if diving with a buddy I typically deal with Zero Gravity in PA. I know what to expect from the GUE guys, and they don't nickel and dime me. For I am doing guided dives I prefer Roger Williams from XOC-Ha. Nelly makes fantastic lunches, you almost wouldn't believe that they are vegan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom