Coming back with TOO MUCH air??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I value the air in my tanks alot but really dislike having to pay to refill a tank that is 2/3 full.

If your only using 1/3 your air on one dive why not make a second dive before refilling?

Does any ever use just one tank for a trip out?

I do on shallow dives.

"What if" should happen that i end up needing more air.

Than you should have brought 2 tanks, I never have a problem with to much air. I do have a problem with not having enough for me and my buddy if its needed.

How fashionable is it to use a pony on a shallow dive boat,

Fashionable, I don't care about fashion if I did I wouldn't be wearing black.

Sure, you could also use, two smaller tanks (e.g. 63s). But, why?
An added safety margin. Two independent air supplies are better than one. Why sling a pony when you can have to identical air supplies with less hassle?
To be clear without connecting manifolds. Two tanks banded together two regs.

An added safety margin. Two independent air supplies are better than one. Why sling a pony when you can have to identical air supplies with less hassle?
To be clear without connecting manifolds. Two tanks banded together two regs.
I understand all that. And, I agree with you, although I would probably suggest he just buy an adiditonal AL80 if I was going that route.

But, in the specific context of the OP's original post - he already has an AL 80, he already has a steel 40 - why offer a solution that involves buying two additional tanks, and a set of bands, to someone who doesn't want to waste money filling an AL80 that isn't empty?

For what it is worth OP, in technical diving it is very common to end a dive with lots of air. I have steels that haven't seen less than 1500 psi in several years. No shame in having plenty left when you surface.

I value the air in my tanks alot but really dislike having to pay to refill a tank that is 2/3 full.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand the issue, is it the 6 to 8 bucks for the fill? That just isn't much in the scheme of things where life support is concerned. Having to lug a second tank? If so a pony will not solve the issue and I'm not sure about using the pony as planned dive gas, I think that might be a bad habit to get used to (something to think about). I'm sorry but in my opinion there is no such thing as having to much gas to breath and you should be happy to have the spare gas for safety. JMHO.

i know to most people this "issue" is relatively trivial. But i really dislike going to the dive shop to refill both of my tank knowing that im going to pay full price for 2 tank that can each give me 1 more hour of play time underwater.

Im a college student that doesn't work and has very little financial aid to mess with. 12 $ in half ass fills almost makes me want to cry.

i know to most people this "issue" is relatively trivial. But i really dislike going to the dive shop to refill both of my tank knowing that im going to pay full price for 2 tank that can each give me 1 more hour of play time underwater. . . Im a college student that doesn't work and has very little financial aid to mess with. 12 $ in half ass fills almost makes me want to cry.
Hey, I understand what you are saying. Before I was part of our shiop staff, and was able to get my air fills for free, I felt the same way. I didn't really like to pay for a fill when I had still 2100 psi in a 3000 psi tank.

Some shops handle air by the cubic foot. Some charge by the fill. Air is relatively cheap, but $8 for a fill is still $8 (0r $6, or $10, whatever it is). The shop is not overcharging, when you consider what it takes to maintain a (good) fill station. But, you are paying for something that you don't necessarily need. You have two tanks, an 80 and a 40. You have the ability to get essentially two dives out of an 80. I would do two dives, maybe shorten the second one a bit, and have the 40 as a reserve for when you really want / need to extend that second dive. If anything, it should help you focus on good gas consumption and management.

Just a question, " When you plan a road trip do you worry about 1 Gallon of gas? ".

A gal. of gas cost about the same as a tank fill.

The difference is when you run out of gas in your vehicle, you can get out and walk.

However, when you run out of GAS in your SCUBA tank(s) it could become a bigger issue.

As a college student you probably ride a bike.

Why not just free dive the 2nd shallow dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom