Comparative SMB Performance Following Free Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, in the US we say yellow/orange is an only-UK thing. As for the bottom of the SMB, really depends on the size, no?

Yep I hear what you say. In some regards its a pity we don't have global rules for scuba, rather than a country mishmash for each country. However the down side is bureaucratic domination, which is the bigger evil? It would be nice to have one set of standards and rules no matter where you go.

Mine is a 6' SMB and if I fill it tight its impossible to get it to stand up easily. If I do a 90% fill then its so much easier. . 90% of 6' os ummmmmm about 5'6" of above surface SMB. if its 100% full and more like 45 degree angle most of the time that's about ummmmmmm 4 foot out of the water. As the girls would say, 5'6" seems more adequate than 4' (or so the saying goes???)

Well, in the US we say yellow/orange is an only-UK thing. As for the bottom of the SMB, really depends on the size, no?

As topside support I certainly won't react any differently to a single SMB regardless of color. Two on the same line means trouble. Ultimately, it's up to the dive team to inform the crew what they intend to signal us with and we do as instructed. When it's my team on the bottom one bag means "surfacing on the line" two bags means trouble (and to get in the chase boat to check the wetnote we sent up on the second bag for instructions).

Ok this has now veered radically from the intent of the original post; I hope this reply closes the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom