Comparing Doppler's class and GUE's DIRf class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

Just to close off this thread for me with some parting thoughts as it has once again degenerated into an us against them debate which I had never intended.

As an observation we have one person who vehemenently stands by the highest air standards in the world of which only a handful of stores supply in all of the world and then advocates technical training the young, *fit* smoking diver. If he is smoking what would the air standard matter. He would not likely be able to jam anything into his lungs that was not already there. Inconsistant? I think so.

It is aparent that there is a fundamental change happening in the market place. That thanks to GUE and others we are raising the bar in general and that is a good thing. I just dislike the way some folks go about it. Throw stones at the folks that are holding the standard while quickly scrambling to catch up. Both PADI and NAUI are guilty of this practice. Just how long ago did these agencies condem the tech diver? What is happening now? The technical agencies are not much different. Give credit where credit is due to the instructors who are trying to make a difference outside the framework of their agencies. Is Steve's course a sanctioned TDI course? The answer is not only no but hell no. Is Steve wrong in doing what he is doing? Of course not.

The only way to experience the GUE version of DIR is to actually come out and try it for yourself. Then decide whether it is for you or not. Personally I think it is great training for all levels of divers but I may be some what biased. Not all GUE/DIR divers are loud mouths. However all divers that have taken a GUE course know that they have just experieced a course unlike anything they have ever taken before and have actually acomplished something. The most consistant question that I answer on a regular basis is "why hasn't anyone taught me that before". The reason is simple..if your instructor does not know it then they can't teach it.

Canadians are a silly bunch of consumers when it comes to diving. If I were looking to have brain surgury done I would prefer to have it done by the best surgeon money can buy in a top notch hospital. But when it comes to diving they normal seek the least expensive training and not necessarily the brightest instructor. After all in a class of 243 someone has to come 243rd. This is not true of all instructors of course but consistancy and high standards are only maintained through rigorous standards. GUE has the highest standards in the world for their instructors as well.

All I would ask the arm chair cowboys to do is to form your own opinion by actually experiencing a GUE course. Then you have a basis of comparison. If not then you really do not have an opinion on the quality of training. When Steve or I or most of the other DIR and GUE divers say something in here it is based on expience. Most divers gravitate to GUE after having gotten tired of being raped and beaten by some other agency. I my case I had around 700 dives and was a full trimix IANTD diver before I realized that I had been sold nothing but cards and that as long as the instructor had the money (of pretty near any course that I taken up to this point) that rather than hold me accountable for having poor skills they would hand out the cards and sign me up for the next course. It is too bad that I learned this hard lesson after tens of thousands of dollars.

So if we hold ourselves high it is because we hold ourselves accountable as well. My name on a C card may not mean a heck of a lot to the student but it sure means a lot to me. We tend to produce confident, comfortable and competent divers through a ciriculum of education, experiece and equipment. End of story. As I have have stated in earlier posts I have yet to run across a diver that has under taken GUE training complain. It is usually the ones on the outside looking in. The door is open folks, I challenge you to come on in and have a look. See you around the other threads.

Safe dives,

Dan

I for one will say thank you to the instructors that keep their standards high. When it is my time to take the tech course, and it will be a little while yet, I know who will be instructing me if he will have me.

Safe Diving all.

Dan MacKay once bubbled...
Hi all,

Just to close off this thread for me with some parting thoughts as it has once again degenerated into an us against them debate which I had never intended.

As an observation we have one person who vehemenently stands by the highest air standards in the world of which only a handful of stores supply in all of the world and then advocates technical training the young, *fit* smoking diver. If he is smoking what would the air standard matter. He would not likely be able to jam anything into his lungs that was not already there. Inconsistant? I think so.

Dan, you seem like a reasonable guy for the most part. However, I really don't think the above statement is really correct or fair. No one advocated smoking and I'll bet you know the difference between breathing CO or other contaminants on the surface and at depth don't you? Sorry but this statement just sounded like twisted logic for the sole purpose of being unfreindly.

Hey All:
I had the pleasure of taking one of the early DIR-F classes in Florida. When I took it I believed my skills were good. The course was fun and very enjoyable. Now did I learn anything? YES you are always learning when you are diving. What I learned was another view towards bouyancy and equipment. Was my bouyancy better after the course, no is my bouyancy better now YES. Did the course help, YES. How could it not!!

Here is the opion now, I have been in the water with some of Dopplers grads, all are very good divers. I have diving with DIR-F course grads(I assume Dan taught them) that I dove with before their course and the difference is huge. Now for that matter I have been on boats with a lot of ON tech instructors grads and they seem to be good divers. The meat of this is these skills in the DIR-F, Dopplers course whatever should be taught from stage one. I recognize most instructor around do not, some do. So any course that is designed around bouyancy and equipment is a great thing(GUE or whoever).

deepdiver5by5

Dan MacKay once bubbled...
Hi all,

SNIPPED

Canadians are a silly bunch of consumers when it comes to diving. If I were looking to have brain surgury done I would prefer to have it done by the best surgeon money can buy in a top notch hospital. But when it comes to diving they normal seek the least expensive training and not necessarily the brightest instructor. After all in a class of 243 someone has to come 243rd. This is not true of all instructors of course but consistancy and high standards are only maintained through rigorous standards. GUE has the highest standards in the world for their instructors as well.

Don't worry Dan there will be no mention of smoking and diving in this post so read on. :D

Interesting comment you make about Canadians being silly consumers when it comes to diving. Are you saying that despite GUE having the highest standards in the world and best instructors that people are not flocking to sign up for GUE courses? Yes as a person on the inside of the organization you could rationalize this by saying things like "divers seek the least expensive training and not necessarily the brightest instructor" or label Canadian divers "silly" when it comes to choosing an instructor or agency (yes it is the instructor not the agency which matters). This blaming of external factors for Canadian divers not choosing the dive agency with the highest standards and best instructors deserves a closer look not just because I am curious as to why that is, but it would be strategically smart for GUE to understand if these external factors are in fact the case for your conclusions or does the problem lie within the organization's core values and philosophy.

Using your great analogy of choosing a brain surgeon let me tell you how Canadian patients go about choosing a surgeon for the most part. I probably refer somone once a month for a surgery that has the potential to kill them. Brain surgery is one of these and vascular surgery is another. I try and approach the process of helping the patient choose a surgeon by personally having met the surgeon myself and having seen the results of his handiwork or having a trusted colleague who has done so. What I find so interesting about human nature is contrary to what you say above, when the discussion comes up about choosing a surgeon and the patient is told the risks of the procedure the very first question they ask me about the surgeon is does he or she have good bedside manner. They don't even ask about the technical aspects until twenty minutes later. What patients want is a surgeon who is going to answer their questions patiently, allay their fears in a difficult time, and be there post operatively to relieve pain and look after them, in that order. Next on the list comes technical skill. Of course in the ideal world one would want the best technical surgeon with great bedside manner but believe me these guys and gals are pretty few and far between. If a patient is offered a choice though between a surgeon with excellent bedside manner and average but good technical skills or a surgeon with excellent technical skills and poor bedside manner 95% of the time in my experience the former surgeon is chosen.

In fact at my hospital a few years back we had to decide whether to get rid of probably one of the top vascular surgeons in the province as he had the bedside manner of a two year old. He would throw scalples in the OR and one morning on rounds when angry about a patient not in her bed but in the bathroom he opened the door and just started to talk to her while she was sitting on the toilet doing her business. Pretty funny I know but not if you are the patient. Of course a complaint was filed over this and many others over the years and in the end we said good riddence to him. Interestingly why he lost his job was not so much because of these patient complaints as he never messed up technically but because the family doctors stopped refering him cases (decline in business for the hospital) as the patients were coming back and complaining about his complete and utter lack of bedside manner. He blamed us for not refering him patients and blamed the hospital for not giving him enough OR time rather than taking a look inside and saying could it be me.

I mention this analogy of choosing a surgeon and bedside manner as I see many parallels with choosing an instructor or agency to further one's dive skills. I would contend 95% of divers would choose an instructor the same way they would choose a surgeon. Bedside manner first, skills second. May I suggest that rather than blaming the Canadian dive consumer as silly you might look at the bedside manner of many of your alumni who are the real ambassadors for your product. While I have read many favourable posts about the GUE courses on this board and you are right that until one takes a GUE course one should be careful of their comments, it is that core of "loudmouth GUE/DIR divers" as you said who really do a disservice to your business Dan. I would say that if Canadian dive consumers are not flocking to take GUE courses despite GUE having the highest standards for their instructors, it might be time to look at the 'bedside' manner of your team members on this board as a reason for the consumer walking the other way. I have no doubt that technically your 'team' may be one of the best in the province, but after assessing their bedside manner on this board I can't say at this point in time I will be refering too many non-smoking fit divers your way for the GUE product. Knowing that even some of the most set in their ways organizations (ie. IBM) can turn business around drastically with a bit of honest self-reflection I would hope somehow GUE finds a way to do the same so it can grow as an organization to truly attract those dive 'surgeons' who are few and far between with great technical skills and 'lakeside' manner. When this happens the Canadian dive consumer will come and price will not matter :)

Well put puffer, but don't argue too strenuosly towards your points, or what has happened to me when I dared to challenge 2 or 3 GUE ideas.......I'm getting squished!, will happen to you.

I agree with Dan when it comes to catch-up for PADI. I've said no less to them personally, quoting my PADI #, and they haven't asked for my C-card..yet!

Now I'm confused, I though the other 2 (Kevin and Tom???) called me Steve, maybe I'm wrong, as Dan, mentioned this Steve as well, which has zero to do with me as far as I know???? Yes I have a TDI card or 2, but huh?????I don't teach anything,....I can't. (Well I could, but............)

Who is Steve, I don't see his name anywhere in this thread?
Doppler???

See now, this is the problem.

We know who we think you are, but if you want to hide behind a pseudonym, no one really knows. Given who we think you are, it may no the be the lesser of two evils since I'm definitly not going to give Steve any credence since I think he's a complete idiot.

But then again, who am I?

Kevin ??

Ah success was but a click away....I knew I had seen him before..........Mr Steve Lewis (Doppler)............Confusion gone.

Silly me, I knew that, but it's been a while.

Kevin ??? I don't know a Kevin, but I've figured out who Steve was! and who's "we" the Scuba Police?

Hmmmmm, you think you know me???? Hmmmmm, maybe, I haven't overly tried to keep it hush hush, and several guys here know already, and, infact, they don't use their real names either!

It probably because we don't need the extra baggage that people who don't agree with us might bring. I respect their "fake" names, whether I agree with them or not (And on occassion we don't AT ALL!!! That's when it's most fun!!) and they who know mine respect my privacy as well.

So are you're saying Doppler is what???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom