Comparing Scubapro G250 and G500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcDiver

Reaction score
Ok,

I just finished my Advanced Scuba Diver certification dives and now it's time to look at getting my own equipment. I'm considering a couple of BC's (see the BC board if you're interested in my questions there) and a couple of regs.

The two regs I'm considering are a new G250 and a used G500. I'll get a mk20 1st stage with either choice. My LDS is going to give me a great price on the used setup. Both 1st and 2nd stages plus an analog console for $475. It's already setup for an Air2, too. The G250 looks like it's a little larger but seems to be a pretty good reg. I'll have a chance to (pool) dive them both this weekend to compare.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Anything I might want to consider? According to my LDS, the used reg will be under warranty so I'm not concerned about service. I dive both fresh and salt water. I'm not a cold water nut but don't have any problems jumping in to 45F water. I might eventually try some colder stuff, though.

Oh yeah, I'm a heavy breathing gas hog, if that makes any difference.

Any comments are appreciated.

kcDiver

I use the 250hp and my opinion is that this regulator is top notch. Large, easy controls, easy breathing, easy clearing. One nuisance, during storage, to relieve spring pressure on the valve seat, there is a "purge depressor" setting which can be difficult to rotate. Using two fingers, push in the purge button and rotate until it locks. Trouble is, because the button bears significant friction with the button spring, the thing wants to snap back. I took off the front cover and greased the assembly which helps.

The 500, which I haven't used, has a more complex mechanism with many small parts including additional O rings and springs. This is a so called "balanced" mechanism. It allows only a small pressure on the valve seat, so no purge depressor is necessary. The regulator body is quite small with small controls which may not be as "ergonomic" or user friendly. It's an easy breather according to reports.

In summary, the 250hp seems more user friendly, simpler and is known to be exceptionally rugged and easy to maintain. The 500, a newer but discontinued model, is a superb performer but has a more complex mechanism. The controls may be problematical to manipulate with gloves on due to small size of unit.

Ive been diving a mk10/g250 combo for ten years.
Deep or cold, Working or relaxed, or any combo, I have
always had plenty of air. They are a workhorse.

My face is red and it's time to correct my previous post. I just got ahold of a complete set of SCUBAPRO schematics, finally. It seems the technicals of the G250 and G500 are not that different. In fact, the discontinued G500 is apparently no more than a compact version of the G250hp. The G250hp is, in turn, an advanced development of earlier versions of the G250. Although reports indicate the G500 is a better performer than the G250 series, I suspect that is not really true, at least not significant. Again, I base this on design and my personal experience with the G250hp. You couldn't really need a better performer, it's VERY impressive.

Both the G250hp and the G500 use an intricate "balance valve" mechanism to reduce the spring pressure required for the downstream poppet valve and hence offers easier, more stable breathing. These are complicated mechanisms and would require some training or written guidance for do it yourself repair.

kcDiver

All things considered, I'd say go with the G250hp. It's been THE regulator everyone has been trying to match for years and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Free parts for life adds up every year.

Ken

The only difference between the two is the size of the case. For that matter the G500 and the new S600 are the same but for the care, and FEW interior changes. But so you know, unless the warranty is offered SOLELY by your LDS then there is none. Scubapro warranties are valid to the ORIGINAL END USER only.

Other than that both should work great!

Size is the only real difference. I have a G250 and a G250HP (Basically the same almost) and had a G500 but converted it to a S600, and they all breath the same to me. I seriously doubt that anyone could tell a difference. I do like the smaller profile of the G500/S600 but if the G250 were a bit cheaper, I would go with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom