Compass sticks- what is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i have the factory compass attached to my Oceanic Computer. I love the computer...everything about it...but the compass will "stick" if it is not held dead level. When following a bearing, I have to shake it a bit to make sure it isn't stuck on my bearing, but actually be 30 degrees off.

What are the better options out there?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Jay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 74
if the compass will turn pretty decently while level, then you will need a high tilt compass to get better performance

the suunto sk8, scubapro fs2, and the dgx deluxe are ones to look at.

I just acquired a Shearwater Perdix; my experience is based on only two dives, but the electronic compass worked in every orientation in which I tried it...and these were vast moving drift dives out of West Palm Beach. Vast improvement over the electronic compass on my older Suunto Cobra 2.

I just acquired a Shearwater Perdix; my experience is based on only two dives, but the electronic compass worked in every orientation in which I tried it...and these were vast moving drift dives out of West Palm Beach. Vast improvement over the electronic compass on my older Suunto Cobra 2.

Replacing the OP's computer seems like an expensive way to get a working compass.

Lorenzoid is right.
What I should have said is something like....electronic compasses are overkill, and they haven't been better in my opinion (the question the OP's original post asks)...but I have been recently been impressed the compass on the Perdix.

I also have an Oceanic console and gauges, and my compass sticks also.
Let me know what you decide to go with.
I think I want to keep the compass on the console.
My Zeagle N2ition 3 computer has an electronic compass, but I want to also have a magnetic compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom