Computer and 7 mm gloves...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the XR2 and the 250, they are good computers. However you are begining to enter "and for $50 more...." syndrome. My first recreational dive computer was a Uwatec Aladdin Pro. Bulletproof. I grew out of it and started to need more things, gases and also something could wear in lieu of a standard wristwatch when travelling for diving and then I needed "a dive pros" watch/computer.

OK you have looked at the range of computers and owned a few, so two questions:

1. "Rental"/Student use computer (wrist mounted). I was looking at the Veo100 and and someone made the "And for $50.00 more" point of backlighting, and audible ascent alarms in the 250. Those two seem like "worth $50.00" more points. Thoughts?

2. For the wristwatch replacement computer, is there really one that is watch sized, and not incredibly expensive, that you could wear daily as a watch? That you can recommend based on personal experience?

1. "Rental"/Student use computer (wrist mounted). I was looking at the Veo100 and and someone made the "And for $50.00 more" point of backlighting, and audible ascent alarms in the 250. Those two seem like "worth $50.00" more points. Thoughts?
I totally agree. I made the comment of $50.00 more but what I was trying to advise was that it is easy to get caught up in paying more for a number of features and then a few bucks more for some more et al. If a diver wants or needs a backlight, then it should be paid for. For a beginner I think audible alarms related to ascent rate are fundamental and are a key safety feature. So point taken and conceded.

2. For the wristwatch replacement computer, is there really one that is watch sized, and not incredibly expensive, that you could wear daily as a watch? That you can recommend based on personal experience?
Well, I would need to know your definition of "incredibly expensive". The Oceanic Geo, Aeris Manta, Suunto D4 and D6 could fit your definition. (The Atom 2.0, the Epic and the D9 are probably "expensive"?) My personal experience comes from having worked in a large resort op that sold the whole range of Suunto and Aeris. Since my functions were managerial and sales as well as instruction, I was designated "test pilot" for the instructors and "programmer/teacher" for customers. (I was given the rare privilege of testing one of the first Compumasks that came out on the market). Out of the ones I've mentioned the Manta is the probably the best buy. I like the D6 compass function but not everybody is happy with it and prefers a standard compass. Of course we are all waiting for te Oceanic OC1 to come on the market but it will be higher priced than the Atom 2.0

I own an Epic and an Atom 2.0

Would any of those actually work as a day to day watch, size-wise? For comparison, I wear a G-shock on a day to day besis.

Yes, all of the models I've mentioned work as a watch size wise on day to day basis.

So to get backlight, audible alarm and all this easy to use with thick gloves...and as cheap as possible

= oceanic Veo 180[/B ???

For what it's worth, any of the Suunto "puck" style computer should be fine for you. Gecko, Vyper Vytec, Cobra, etc.

What about the Mares M2..its cheap,has a backlight. Not sure if has an alarm...anyone uses it?

Back
Top Bottom