Computer Basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone, I am trying to educate myself on dive computers but I dont really know where to start. I dont trust my LDS to not try and sell me the most expensive thing they can find. I see types that go on your wrist and types in clusters.. Are there kinds that remotely monitor your air? I would like to research further ,but like I said, I dont know the first thing about them. I am fairly new to diving, plan do work towards doing dives over 100ft, spearfishing is what I do most right now.
Thanks for any input you have.

Computers can be a pretty broad subject with plenty of opinions (liberal vs conservative algorithms, console vs wrist, hose vs wireless, fancy vs simple, cost, etc, etc). My advice after this would be to read though some gear reviews and decide on what configuration/features might work best for the types of diving you'll be doing, then shortlist some products for further investigation.

Hope this helps, and best of luck in your search!

dive computers, scuba gear reviews 2011 | Scuba Diving Magazine

Last edited:
Lots of good advice. I like the idea of a wrist unit, I dont like having stuff hanging on me... Right now I am being a cheapo and looking at a Mares Puck Wrist Nitrox unit, its only about $180 but it has good reviews from advanced and beginner divers alike so far.
[h=1][/h]

I dive an Aeris Epic and like that very much. I avoid Suunto as there computers are Way conservative. Don't like Mares after trying to replace a battery for a buddy and couldn't find one even with a Wall Mart close by. Where we often dive you are not going to see a wall mart.

If price is the major consideration here is a great buy for a Nitrox computer.

Aeris XR1 NX Wrist Computer

The Puck isn't a bad one, but you might get better pricing looking around more.....

For spearfishing you may not want a wrist mount, Often spearfisherman have to reach far back into hole and then frantically tug on a fish or a shaft and try to wiggle their hands into small holes. This type of activity tends to strip off computers, watches, compass etc. (in my experience). I prefer a console and i also prefer to NOT have to rotate the console to read all the guages...It is better to have the gages facing one direction and not cranking on a tiny little spool with little O-rings, every time you check your guages.

I have been using Oceanic computers for the last 10-12 years and they are pretty rugged and not crazy conservative...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom