Computer configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What alarm/settings do you have/use on you computer? And what do you set them at.
Wet activation=on
ASNT alarm=on
DECO alarm=on
deep alarm=on 130'
Turn Pressure=on 1000psi
End Pressure=on 500psi
PO2=on 1.4 diving (80-100SWF)
RES=on 5 min

sample rate=15 sec

I am just checking to see if I am in the ball park with my settings. I just purchased a DC and new to diving.

Thank you, Fred

Mine has the excellent option of turning all the damn beeping off. It's the next best choice when I can't just put it in bottom timer mode.

^^

In what situation can you not just put it in bottom timer mode.

Clearly... But what's it doing in the settings?

That setting on most dive computers represents a maximum PO2. It will beep or somehow alert the diver when they reach or near the MOD for whatever gas they've preselected. But MOD isn't a range. It's a single, discreet number.

I can somehow rationalize the 80 as a reference to the shallowest it will beep for a user-specified 1.4 (assuming it's a 'recreational' computer, it won't allow a setting greater than EAN40). But if one is the shallowest limit, the other would logically be the deepest limit, and that doesn't make sense (unless the leanest mixture it recognizes is 35%, but that's highly unlikely).

Honestly I have no clue why a depth range is specified for PO2. I hope that the OP reads the manual to demystify his settings. He really shouldn't be diving with that thing until he figures out how to read/use it.

Looking forward to hearing an explanation for those wacky numbers...

Like you, I have a Sherwood Wisdom 2 (which will handle Nitrox or Air).

I set mine as follows:

Wet activation = on. In case I forget to turn it on. However, you have to turn it on to check your air before a dive, and I have to turn it on to take an altitude reading before I dive here at home...

Ascent = on. This alarm goes off way too often, but not because I am ascending too fast. Usually it is because I change position or pull my computer up to look at it, or both at the same time. Nevertheless, I leave it on in case I might be ascending unknowingly in poor visibility conditions.

PO2 value = 1.4 This is for when you dive with enriched air (Nitrox). If you set it at 1.4, the W2 will actually alert you at 1.2 that you are approaching your maximum oxygen exposure limit. No depth is actually entered into the computer, although depth is a factor that the computer takes into account.

FO2 Default = OFF. When using Nitrox, this setting will automatically set your FO2 to 50 if you forget to enter a value before a dive. I turned this off because I nearly always use the same mixture, and it isn't 50%. With it off, it will stay at the last value that I entered.

Max Depth Alarm = 100 ft. I don't typically dive this deep on purpose, so I have it set to let me know if I am straying below where I usually want to be.

Turn pressure = 1000-1500psi. I check my air frequently, so I use this mostly as a reminder that I really need to be sure I am paying attention and not starting off on some new path.

End pressure = 500 The Wisdom 2 will calculate your air consumption and will show you the gas time you have left. It automatically figures in how long it should take you to ascend at a safe rate AND make a 3 min safety stop. When you reach the surface, you should have 500 psi left in your tank. You could set it lower, say 300, but gauges can be wrong. I like the safety margin.

Reserve Time = 5 min. This alarm lets you know when you have 5 safe minutes left (or whatever value you have entered) based upon whichever factor (nitrogen, O2, or psi) is most limiting at the moment.

Deco Alarm = on. Since I am strictly a recreational diver, I hope this never goes off.

Sample rate = 15 sec The W2 takes readings internally many times per second, but this is the rate that it will collect data to download to your desktop computer. The faster the sampling rate, the fewer the number of dives you can keep in memory for download later. 15 sec = 15 hours of collection. 30 sec = 30 hours. Sometimes I set mine to 30 if I am going to be making lots of dives (such as a whole week of diving) before I will have the chance to download the information.

All the above said, I must also say that even though I have all these alarms set, I have a hard time hearing them, especially if I am wearing a hood. It is usually easier to hear my buddies' alarms (which makes me look to see if it is mine that is going off).

Hope that helps.

When I got my first one, being recreational with a DC capable of complexity, I was a bit befuddled about some of the user settings. Presuming I should be making educated and personal choices, I spoke to the manufacturer asking why, where and how I would use them. It helped immensely, making it quite simple not only to set but use – understand what it was telling me. (I can make mine set off rather frightening warnings in very benign circumstances.)

^^

In what situation can you not just put it in bottom timer mode.
Some computers don't give you a dive log (graph) when in BT mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom