Computer instead of Dive Table?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueBlur

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new around here. After reading a lot of the content on this forum, I figure you all a great group to ask a question that has been bugging me. First let me apologize if this question has been beaten into the ground. I know how newbies can be on forums. :D (I did look for a thread adderssing this but coudn't find one)

My husband and I are in process of taking a SCUBA diving course wtih SDI. SDI teaches use of the dive computer and does not put much emphasis on the dive tables. We went over the tables, which I completely understand but there were a few in the class who are still clueless on the tables. The instructor was slightly concerned but the nonunderstanding of the dive tables it isn't hindering their progress through the class.

My question is, is this OK? How readily available will dive computers be when we go diving elsewhere and have to rent equipement? We are going to Cozumel in Nov and hope to dive but will we be in a world of hurt if we aren't use to diving with tables? Thanks for your help.

I too certified OW with SDI. I've found that most dive ops will have computers to rent (especially in Coz), and definitely prefer computers over tables for non-complicated dives. If you can't rent one, using your tables and a time piece to plan your dive would not be too hard. You won't max out NDL before you exceed your gas supply. That is, unless you are exceeding the 60 foot mark, which you shouldn't be doing with only an OW anyway :wink:

I think you answered your own question. all the what if's would make me think I should be competent in being able to use the tables.......

Well, you have a problem if you're someplace without a computer and don't know how to do tables. You should always know how do them and if you don't have a computer you should be planning your dives according to your tables. You say you understand them, so this shouldn't be a problem. Review how to use them before your trip.

Some people in resort areas dive without either, just following the profile given by a divemaster, or just plain following the divemaster - but this is really NOT a good idea at all. Don't do it.

It's becoming pretty common for rental computers to be available and I doubt you'd have a problem in coz. But if it's something you're depending on you should always check ahead with your dive op and make sure.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. I am really excited about getting my certification. I actually took SCUBA way back in college but didn't get certified because I was a poor college student and couldnt' afford the open water trip. Anway, in that course (I won't say how long ago), I remember they mentioned some new fangled gadget called a computer but they didn't like them and that they would never be the norn.......I guess they were wrong.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to finishing my OW so I can venture out. We do our certification dive in Panama City, FL the end of next month. WooHoo.

The only drawback is that I ride/race mountain bikes which is a very expensive sport and now I am getting myself into another expensive sport. I guess that's why I don't have kids. :crafty:

mikeloyco:
You won't max out NDL before you exceed your gas supply.
This isn't a good assumption, especially doing a multilevel dive but following a table. Especially on repetitive dives. And sometimes even a new diver turns out to be a fish.

BlueBur, welcome aboard!

(Mikeloyco, your avatar rocks, dude)

the great advantage of knowing how to use and using tables is that you
begin to get a feel for the issues involved. if you don't learn how to use
them and instead rely soley on a computer, you will be lost if you don't
have a computer.

i would reccomend mastering the tables, and at a very minimum, use
them on every dive to find out what your NDL is for your planned depth.
that way, if anything goes wrong with the computer, you will always
be able to continue the dive to the NDL and then ascend safely.

btw, something i was not taught well when i started out:

when your NDL is up, you don't have to rush to the surface in a mad dash for
the safety stop.

in fact, once you begin to ascend, your NDL will continue to extend. do it slowly,
give your body time to offgas as you ascend. spend as much time as you
can between 30 feet and the surface. if you have gas, use it to sepnd as much
time as you can shallow.

have fun!!

Damselfish:
Some people in resort areas dive without either, just following the profile given by a divemaster, or just plain following the divemaster - but this is really NOT a good idea at all. Don't do it.

Not to be anal, but if the divemaster wants me to follow his profile, I know I will feel the need to confirm everything using the tables....just to be sure. This goes along with my equipment too. Our instructor says there are some trips that will take care of all of your equipment preparation for you. I told him that I think that is fine and dandy but that I will go over my own equip before a dive anyway just to be sure. The instructor said that is exactly what we should do in those situations yet so many people don't and put themselves in potential danger.

As I said before, I mountain bike and before a ride/race I go over my own bike jsut to make sure........and that sport isn't as dangerous as SCUBA diving...not really.

Just driving by and thought I'd pass on a recommendation.

Buy your own regulators and computers. First, the regulators are your primary life safety equipment. As you get more experienced you will have a greater appreciation of just how important a well maintained regulator is both for actual safety and for your personal confidence level. In fact, it is almost unheard of for a properly maintained regulator to fail. Even then when it does it is almost always to a free flow on initial entry into the water. Poorly, or incomptently maintained? Well that is another thing entirely.

A computer is just the dive tables in electronic form attached to sensors that more accurately record and calculate your actual dive conditions. Different computers use different algorthms. Also different computers use different controls and displays. It is always safer and more comforting to intimately know the dive table and controls your computer uses.

You will enjoy your diving and do more if it if you own your own gear. But, if for some reason you can't own all your own, at least own your own regs and computer.

Back
Top Bottom