Computer/Octo Placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another point of view. Having the octo on the left,as mentioned earlier in the post, makes it easier for your buddy to use, and yes, it is more likely in most cases that it will be your buddy who needs it. However, a panicing buddy may well grab the reg from your mouth - he has no air, he can see this reg working - therefore having the occy rigged for yourself would be more useful. Just a thought.

rongoodman:
Computer on my right wrist, compass on the left, SPG clipped to left waist D-ring. Secondary under my chin.
Same here , just feels and isthe best way to do it . Everything is where you need it when you need it.

popmirrorman:
Just another point of view. Having the octo on the left,as mentioned earlier in the post, makes it easier for your buddy to use, and yes, it is more likely in most cases that it will be your buddy who needs it. However, a panicing buddy may well grab the reg from your mouth - he has no air, he can see this reg working - therefore having the occy rigged for yourself would be more useful. Just a thought.
Having a 3ft hose for the octo, this octo when mounted on the left is perfectly suited for your buddy, and the hose is also more than long enough for you to use your own octo if needed.

Having your regular primary mounted on the right, and your octo mounted on the left also offers your buddy an "always grab something useful" oppertunity when being in a panic situation regardless of he's was swimming on your left or right... if he's on the right and it is an "extremely urgent" OOA such that there is no time for signalling an OOA and waiting a few seconds for getting the octo he's free to grab your own primary and you switch to your octo (with in this case the hose "bended" in S but for yourself it is still more than long enough) and after 10-30sec when he's getting air, and getting calm again, you might convince him to switch regs to a more comfortable situation, i.c. you get your primary back and he gets your octo... and if he was swimming on your left, he clearly sees the bright yellow LP-hose of your octo and he can easily grab it himself. Especially in case of panic it is of vital importance to offer as many solutions/possibilities as possible and having both your primary and octo at the right side simply reduces the possibilities without any good reason at all!

Aaron203:
If the octo is on the left, couldn't it get confused with the an BC inflator hose?. Plus, to effectively wear it on the left it would have to cross in front and be one other thing to disconnect should you have to ditch your gear.
Why would you even consider, when having the octo mounted left, to cross it in the front??? Just mount the octo on the left and leave it fixed to your BCD on the left... there is no reason whatsoever to try to fix the octo somewhere on the right???

Luc Dupas:
Having a 3ft hose for the octo, this octo when mounted on the left is perfectly suited for your buddy, and the hose is also more than long enough for you to use your own octo if needed.

Having your regular primary mounted on the right, and your octo mounted on the left also offers your buddy an "always grab something useful" oppertunity when being in a panic situation regardless of he's was swimming on your left or right... if he's on the right and it is an "extremely urgent" OOA such that there is no time for signalling an OOA and waiting a few seconds for getting the octo he's free to grab your own primary and you switch to your octo (with in this case the hose "bended" in S but for yourself it is still more than long enough) and after 10-30sec when he's getting air, and getting calm again, you might convince him to switch regs to a more comfortable situation, i.c. you get your primary back and he gets your octo... and if he was swimming on your left, he clearly sees the bright yellow LP-hose of your octo and he can easily grab it himself. Especially in case of panic it is of vital importance to offer as many solutions/possibilities as possible and having both your primary and octo at the right side simply reduces the possibilities without any good reason at all!

If you have a long hose and bungy backup , you elimintate a few steps there. Oh ya you buddy also knows exactly where the reg they need is at all times.

I have my primary over my right shoulder, my BCD low-pressure whip over my left shoulder running down alongside the hose into my power inflator, my mini-SPG under my left arm and fastened across my chest on my right D-ring, and my octopus coming under my right arm, across my chest and fastened on my left D-ring.

This keeps me very streamlined, with no hoses sticking out asking to snag on a wreck, etc, and if someone needs my octo, the bright yellow hose is clearly visible across my black wetsuit and BCD. I have an Apeks Egress octo, so it can be used any way up, and it is on a Scubapro quick-release, so easy to remove in emergencies. My mini-SPG is held in place with a quick-clip, so releasing that in an emergency is a two-second job as well.

No saying this would suit everyone, but it works well for me.

Mark

terrasmak:
If you have a long hose and bungy backup , you elimintate a few steps there. Oh ya you buddy also knows exactly where the reg they need is at all times.
That's a funny statement!!! OK, with the LH and necklaced configuration maybe your buddy "knows" where he can get air all the time but maybe he cannot get there all the time... and especially in a panic situation I estimate that the possibility of "self service" by my buddy is essential... :wink:

If you use the LH and necklaced configuration you basically "selfishly" kind of hide your primary and secondary air supply in front of you between your shoulders and your arms. And in addition there is only ONE (instead of two if we're considering a regular primary and a regular octo) air supply your buddy can grab, which is only for primary!
E.g. if I'm sticking my head in a small hole to take some UW pictures of a nice lobster hiding there... and my buddy unexpectedly has a reg problem and is facing an OOA, he has no possibility to reach for my primary (and of course my necklaced secondary is useless for him anyhow)! While if I have a regular octo and he is behind or next to me, he simply has to pull on the yellow hose and grab my octo and start breathing, without even wasting a single second while I'm still with my head and my camera in this hole.... just a very simple straightforward example... :crafty:

Bismark:
I believe criss-crossing gear and attaching it is a bad idea from the point of view of emergencies. Much more likely to get things tangled up if you have to remove the bcd.

I used the criss-crossing method in the past, but after taking my rescue course I decided it wasn't a very good method. It takes longer to get into your gear and longer to get someone out of.

I have the "everyone uses" configuration you describe. I'm right-handed, so gauges on the left means left hand holds them in front when I need them there, and right hand, with the better fine-motor skills, is free for whatever else.

Octo on the right means if I ever lose my reg out of my mouth, the right hand sweep is more likely to come up with at least one reg to keep breathing with. And it's worked okay on those rare occasions when I've had to donate the octo to buddy.

I guess we're all comfortable with what we're used to, me included

nolatom:
Octo on the right means if I ever lose my reg out of my mouth, the right hand sweep is more likely to come up with at least one reg to keep breathing with.
Do you really mean you keep your octo simply dangling around, being prone to either getting stuck somewhere or collecting silt and mud when swimming close to the bottom??? Because otherwise a right hand sweep won't come up with your octo... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom