Computer/Octo Placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luc Dupas:
Do you really mean you keep your octo simply dangling around, being prone to either getting stuck somewhere or collecting silt and mud when swimming close to the bottom??? Becuase otherwise a right hand sweep won't come up with your octo... :wink:
I believe he really doesn't mean that:wink: Just scenario like "your head in a hole":D

Luc Dupas:
Do you really mean you keep your octo simply dangling around, being prone to either getting stuck somewhere or collecting silt and mud when swimming close to the bottom??? Becuase otherwise a right hand sweep won't come up with your octo... :wink:

Nah, I keep it clipped to right chest, but if everything went south and whatever ripped the primary from my mouth (hard entry, snag, another diver, obstruction) unclipped the octo too, having both on same side doubles my chances of coming up with a working reg on the first sweep. Happened that way once, is why I recall it.

nolatom:
Nah, I keep it clipped to right chest, but if everything went south and whatever ripped the primary from my mouth (hard entry, snag, another diver, obstruction) unclipped the octo too, having both on same side doubles my chances of coming up with a working reg on the first sweep. Happened that way once, is why I recall it.
So... if indeed "something" did happen on your right side there is indeed a great chance that also your octo on the right came loose... yep!
But... if you had configured your octo on the left, and clipped it on the left, you simply in no time could have grabbed your octo to ensure you had plenty of air while trying to retrieve your primary... :wink:

I appreciate all the comments. I can see both points of view,I guess I will try it both ways and see which one works for me best. Thanks again...

no one can really tell you where to wear your gear its what comferdable for you. as for some of the coments about crossing gear look at how many hoses tech divers have crossing there chest i would hate to be the person taking my gear or my buddys gear off

Gear should not be crisscrossed. Becomes very difficult and can be confusing should your run into an emrgency. Regs come from your right shoulder and the octo should be in the "Golden Triangle". There is a reason why the standards for all certifying agencies are similar as far as gear (exception is of course the DIR/GUE configuration).

It amazes me why new divers have this urge to change what they have been trained to do before they are even wet behind their ears!

I wear my bottom timer on my right wrist. I can see it without making any extra movements and my left hand is free to control buoyancy on ascents and descents or I have both hands free to do whatever and I can still see it.

I put my compass on my left wrist.

My backup is under my chin on necklace and I donate my primary. The backup is always right there where I can get at it and no one has to guess about where my donation reg is. As a side note, with a "conventional" octo pinned in that golden triangle, if two dovers are horizontal (as they should be most of the time) and at the same depth (as buddies should be most of the time) it won't ever be visible.

My spg is on a short hose clipped to my left hip. Nice and streamline with ni long hose like you might want if you're trying to use a consol.

grumpymedic:
I have a question about where to place your octo and spg/computer.

Rex, with that computer I had it attached to a slider clip like this. I brought it under my left arm and clipped it to the lowest D-ring on my right shoulder. When I was not using the computer, I tucked it into the cumberbund of my Zeagle to keep the setup streamlined and to keep it from banging on anything.

I had a couple of octo positions, but none that I really ever liked so much. Just whatever I could do to get it neatly out of the way. Ultimately I ended up with one of those Atomic SS1 octo inflators which I prefer now.

Back
Top Bottom