computer problem??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timmytes

Registered
Reaction score
i bought a data plus2 from leisurepro, its only got about 5 dives on it. the problem is when i turn it on and goto the pre dive planning mode at 30' on air, its gives me a bottom time of 3:37 when it should read 4:20. the only reason i realized his was wrong was because i bought my wife the same computer, and just messing around i was comparing the two, and i thought that they would be the same. then while further playing with my computer, i would restart it and it would give me the right time of 4:20, then the next time back to 3:37. anyone in here ever experience anything like this?

thanks,

tim

no, i checked that, it was set to AIR, and every pages was a little different. 30-40-50-ect.

????

The change in NDL may be because the computer has erroneously determined that you are at altitude.

Send it back. (Unless you are significantly above sea level ---- in that case you might be right on the borderline where the computer correctly decides to start adding in altitude correction.)

i guess i'll have to send it back. living in florida, i don't think the altitude thing is it. now the real question is wether or not leiurepro will back their warranty. they say that they give their own warranty equivelent to whqat the manufacturer gives. anyone here ever have a problem sending anything back?

thanks

tim

:HAHAHA: That one got me! :crazyeyes:

Charlie99 once bubbled...
The change in NDL may be because the computer has erroneously determined that you are at altitude.

Send it back. (Unless you are significantly above sea level ---- in that case you might be right on the borderline where the computer correctly decides to start adding in altitude correction.)

I was particularly interested in this one, plus I enjoy talking with the tech guys at Oceanic (and enjoy free long distance calling), so I called them. Yep, it's bad. It should say 4:20

I've sent Oceanic computers to Oceanic California and always enjoyed good service, but you can't do that. L-Pro is not an authroized dealer, so Oceanic will not honor their sales receipt. ( I asked, where does L-Pro get them, if they're not authroized. They don't know; don't even know if they're new or used. Changes my mind about buying from them!! )

So, you get to find out how good L-Pro is about warranty, as it really does need to be replaced. In its current condition, it's useless, maybe even dangerous.

Gotta' say - you were sharp to catch it. Got to go home and check my two...

don

ps: Let us know how that goes, please...?!?

Strange, I just noticed that you said 3:37 as the 30' NDL. On my Data Plus, the first increment of altitude NDLs is 30' -- 3:34. The sequence continues as 40' - 1:53, 50' - 1:07, 60' - 46min, 70' - 33, 80 - 26min, .....

Oceanic doesn't document their altitude algorithm, but the NDLs listed above are what would result from a depth fudge factor of 7%, which is appropriate for 2,000' elevation.

The altitude is determined by the pressure sensor reading on initial powerup. Either you have a defective computer, or you have salt crystals on the pressure sensor. If you forgot to rinse it after your previous dives, you should soak it in warm water for a few hours, then check it out again.

Charlie

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Strange, I just noticed that you said 3:37 as the 30' NDL. On my Data Plus, the first increment of altitude NDLs is 30' -- 3:34. The sequence continues as 40' - 1:53, 50' - 1:07, 60' - 46min, 70' - 33, 80 - 26min, .....

Oceanic doesn't document their altitude algorithm, but the NDLs listed above are what would result from a depth fudge factor of 7%, which is appropriate for 2,000' elevation.

The altitude is determined by the pressure sensor reading on initial powerup. Either you have a defective computer, or you have salt crystals on the pressure sensor. If you forgot to rinse it after your previous dives, you should soak it in warm water for a few hours, then check it out again.

Charlie

I checked my two Oceanics - a Date Plus 2 and a Versa Pro, and at my 3,000+ ft elevation; they read almost the same. At some depths on Air, maybe 1 minute off. I'll have to do this again, on Air and Nitorx both, next time I'm at sea level.

Charlie, I wonder how high you were when you checked yours? I think :huh: Tim would have had to been over 2,000 feet up to get his 3:37 Time Left for 30 feet on Air, but Silicone Valley has a little altitude, doesn't it? Are you around 2,000 ft?

Good call on the salt residue, though. I forgot about that.

I turned my DP2 on while on a plane to Puerto Rico once, and when I landed - the change in pressure made the puter go into dive mode. Stayed there for hours, but finally shut down before I needed it the next morning.

don

when i wrote the post i was thinking 3:37, but now after reading more replies i got to thinking and i checked it again and it was 3:34 NDL at 30'. i'll try soaking it in he hot water as suggested and let you guys know what happens. its just odd that at 1 power up it will say 4:20, and the next time say 3:34.

thanks,

tim

I returned a computer for a replacement to LeisurePro and got nothing but great service - no questions asked other than what I wanted to do to remedy the problem. Just call and get a return number verification, write a note about the problem, insure it and mail it.

Very pleased with customer service.

Harbour

Back
Top Bottom