Computer Recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just getting back into diving after a really long absence. I am starting to look at computers, being an engineer, I just can't help myself. Anyway...I would appreciate advice.

My eye are not great, I can use corrective lense for distance but up close I need some pretty decent sized numbers (I have not seen bifocal mask yet!).

Most of my diving will be in cold water, so I will be wearing heavy gloves.

From my previous experience, I like to keep my hose gauges to a minimum, so I think I want a wrist mounted unit.

For now I am sticking to normal air, but all the other gear I am getting is Nitrox ready, so that might be a possibility in the future.

I will stick to NDL dives, no tech stuff, but want the security just in case I go over sometime.

Since my dive buddies are my teen sons, I might have to help them out on the gear cost - so far I am splitting their gear cost 50/50 with them (making it cost enough to appreciate it, not so much they can't earn it). It makes sense to get the same computer for all, everyone say sharing is NG. So cost is going to be a significant issue.

GrumpyOldGuy:
I am just getting back into diving after a really long absence. I am starting to look at computers, being an engineer, I just can't help myself. Anyway...I would appreciate advice.

My eye are not great, I can use corrective lens for distance but up close I need some pretty decent sized numbers (I have not seen bifocal mask yet!).

Most of my diving will be in cold water, so I will be wearing heavy gloves.

From my previous experience, I like to keep my hose gauges to a minimum, so I think I want a wrist mounted unit.

For now I am sticking to normal air, but all the other gear I am getting is Nitrox ready, so that might be a possibility in the future.

I will stick to NDL dives, no tech stuff, but want the security just in case I go over sometime.

Since my dive buddies are my teen sons, I might have to help them out on the gear cost - so far I am splitting their gear cost 50/50 with them (making it cost enough to appreciate it, not so much they can't earn it). It makes sense to get the same computer for all, everyone say sharing is NG. So cost is going to be a significant issue.

I am very happy with the Aeris ATMOS AI. It is an air integrated computer that is Nitrox capable. Mine has the Qucik Disconnect which I would strongly recommend. I have always been near-sighted but I have no trouble reading the digital readout on the ATMOS AI.

The computer is well built, logically laid out and easy to use.

The computer software that runs on the PC to download your dive data to the PC could use some improvement. I find this to be the case with most dive computer related software that is provided by the manufacturers of dive computers.

Since I develop software for a living I might tend to be more critical of the software than the average diver. The firmware (software) that runs within the dive computer itself is very well done. It is only PC software the allows you to view your dive data on the PC that could use some serious improvement.

I actually own three ATMOS AI dive computers (all with the quick disconnect feature). The other two are used by my wife and daughter.

Oceanic makes a model called the Pro Plus 2 which also has large numbers. I like the Aeris ATMOS AI better since it is more of a console (horizontal) layout than the Pro Plus 2 which is more of a vertical display.

I don't have any recent experience with the ScubaPro/UAWTEC dive computers so I can't comment on them at all.

I also have the Atmos ai. I do like using the computer as the display is large and easy to read. The unit is also very intuitive and you really won't need to carry your 'cheat sheet' along on dive trips.

Aeris has also been very good at service. The down side is I had two Aeris 500ai's fail under warranty, and ended up with an upgrade to the newer Atmos ai. It too failed just out of warranty and I paid around $165 for a repair. All three were well cared for. Hopefully I'm just the unlucky one, but I'll probably buy something else when time comes.

Meanwhile my wife still has her old US Divers Monitor 3 (Uwatec) hoseless. One battery replacement in about 10yrs, and one transmitter which was damaged were replaced. It just started to have an LCD breakdown so it's been replaced and relegated to backup. Her Air Z seems just as durable so far.

Dennis

Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus 2.

BIG NUMBERS ! ! !

the K

The Kraken is right. The Pro Plus 2 has BIG NUMBERS! This is why its my best selling computer. However, based on what you are saying, I would recommend a SUUNTO as it is far more conservative. The new versions have dot matrix displays, so you can read them easily, and the use a Reduced Bubble Gradient model that takes into account 'silent' bubbles that are thought to occur on every dive. The Vyper 2 or the Cobra are easy to use with gloves, can be used for air, nitrox or in gauge mode. Being an engineer you would appreciate the effort the Finnish techs have put into the line.

Btw, If you get a more aggresive computer, I would set it to one of the more conservative settings until you are comfortable with it.

Feel free to PM me if you would like any info on any Oceanic or SUUNTO computers.

Thanks for the information. I almost brought the Aeris XR1 (really inexpensive) but had some serious second thoughts on the age of the design, lack of Nitrox and was concerned I was being cheap, not smart. I will continue and look closely at all of your recomendations.

The Oceanic Data Pro 2 does have huge numbers (nice) and the air integration is nice, but dang, it not inexpenive. To me, it looks like there is a huge gap between the entry level wrist computers without A/I for 200-300 and the A/I units for 600+. Is the A/I feature worth the difference? I was also concerned about trusting an electronic computer with everything, if it floods or battrey dies, your blind. I was thinking about using SPG with depth gauge on the console and a computer on the wrist might be more robust. As long I maintain NDL, if the computer croaks I have enough information to surface in a controlled manner, not in panic mode.

Thanks!

I have the Aeris atmos AI. My wife and I both started out with the Aeris console which she still uses after 200 dives in 5 years. I sold mine to go to the AI 2 years ago to a friend. All 3 units have worked great without any problems. Easy to use, like the air intergrated feature and the quick disconnect. I can bring the computer with me and do my log book without hauling the hoses.

You said above that you have bad eyesight. At Sport Chalet in California they sell magnification add ons for a mask, they turn your mask into bi-focals. Also take this into consideration when choosing a wrist computer over a hose unit. You and your buddy are swimming along and he/she kicks your wrist with their fin on accident, the strap breaks and your $700 computer is gone. I have seen it happen and we couldn't find it.

Air integration is going to cost more period. I have 2 computers, one wireless air integrated which serves as my primary and one non air integrated which serves as my backup. Honestly, the air integration while being a nice feature doesn't really justify the additional cost. If I were you I'd get an Aeris or Oceanic wrist mounted nitrox computer that is not air integrated and look at this mask.

http://www.xsscuba.com/mask_gaugereader.html

Grumpy,

I too have old eyes and am currently looking at my first computer. I'm also looking for a wrist mount. Keep in mind that the computer will give you your depth, so you only need an SPG on your HP hose.

Some of wrist mounted nitrox capable computers I'm looking at are the Dive Rite Duo, UWATEC (Scubapro) Aladin PRIME and the Aeris XR-2. My LDS (we only have one) only carries the Scubapro and Aeris. I was also looking at the Cochran EMC-16 as ScubaToys.com currently has an excellent sell on this model. The only drawback was that the software for pc download was listed on the Cochran website at $295.00. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom