Conditions in RI this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I have almost talked by wife/dive buddy into diving in RI this weekend. I told her the water seemed to be much warmer than Gloucester. Of course, since I haven't dived there I really don't know that for a fact. She is a self-proclaimed bonafide warm water wimp because of the extra gear and weight.
The surface temps in RI seem to be between 70 and 80. What does that translate into at dive depth for an easy dive? ie . not wreck depth
We have the dry-suits, but I wonder if it would be doable with a good 3/5 mm?
Also, although we have done a few dives around here and BC most of our dives by far are in the carribean so for a first New England dive this year a relatively easy, but interesting dive would be ideal.

Any suggestions for a dive site?
Anyone done the shore diving with Newport Diving Center?
Newport Diving Center - Shore Tours aKa Fun Dives

Will the recent rains kill the vis?

We will be doing an Isle of Shoals seal dive on the 12th out of Portsmouth, but just wanted to check out the warmer side of NE this year and see if it is possible to dive without the dry suit (and the extra weight).

Thanks!

Last edited:
It won't be quite that warm. For most of the shallow shore dives mid-60's is about what you can expect right now. Speaking for myself that's definitely colder than I'd want to dive a 3/5.

As for vis, offshore at the deep sites we've had great vis lately, however, inshore is a totally different matter. With all the high surf and wind it is a mess right now along the shore (today is no exception, SW winds blowing to 25kts and seas building to 4-6 overnight). I would not expect very good vis at any of the RI shore sites given present conditions.

Thanks Chris. That is helpful. I knew that it would be cooler below the surface.. just not sure how much. I would love to try diving my HP Steel tanks with just a 3/5mm to see what that feels like without the extra weight, but maybe the drysuit is the way to go. Sounds like it wouldn't be much of a dive though with the conditions you mentioned, so maybe another weekend. How warm does it get in Aug, September?
You have a great website! Where/when did you see that lionfish?

oK Anyone want to go bodyboarding. Mattunuck and Misquamicutt may be hopping. Do we have nice surf on the beaches or is it blown out by the wind RIO.

I expect a 6am surf report first thing tomorrow.

Sounds like it wouldn't be much of a dive though with the conditions you mentioned, so maybe another weekend. How warm does it get in Aug, September?
You have a great website! Where/when did you see that lionfish?

Thanks. I saw the Lionfish in the picture off of Hazard Ave in Narragansett in about 20ft of water in Aug 2006. I've actually seen them several times now, 2 at Hazard (the first one was actually with Scubasarus back in 2005), 1 off King's Beach and 1 at Ft Wetherill. I saw all of them between August and October.

As for the peak summer temps, flipping through my logs I had some very rare cases of 70+ degree temperatures at depth at some of the shallow shore dives like Bass Rock or Ft Wetherill in the past 5 or so years, but I can count the number of times that has happened on 1 hand. Generally you can expect upper 60s in the shallows and mid 60s at depth for any of the shore dives here in late summer. Offshore the deeper boat dives like the U853 will usually only reach mid 50s at depth.

I expect a 6am surf report first thing tomorrow.

Don't look at me, I am fleeing to Mass to dive the Port Hunter.... I must be out of my mind to try and dive a site off the Cape on the 4th of July. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom