Conquered Some Fears and First Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mask and Reg issues are normally at the top of stressor for new divers.
I would have assumed (OK laugh now) someone working toward their DM would have gotten through those beginner stressors.

As part of my OW class, we were required to remove our masks and swim around, swap with someone, and clear.
In retrospect, I think it should be a required skill to get the basic OW cert.

I'm perfectly comfortable and secure with what is needed to be a divemaster.

I am not trying to jump on Laurie but while you think this is true (and technically you may know but not be capable - this is possible), you were not comfortable with what it takes to be an OW diver let alone a DM. Mask off swimming and reg retrieval are pretty basic skills.

Perhaps "fear" is the wrong word. I wasn't scared of either skill, but was not comfortable with them. I am now, so what's the problem? I'm in the DM program, which means I am in the learning phase. I never have had the "opportunity" to have my regulator or mask kicked off by another diver and I just finished dive 96. I have removed the regulator many times, but it was not a natural movement. Now it is.

I haven't had the opportunity to shore dive before because everytime I have gone down there, my instructor has been working on the dive boat, so that's where I had to go. I prefer the boat dives anyway because of the areas we can access. Will I be doing more shore diving? Of course I will. But, I soon will have my own boat down there, so boat diving will continue to be my focus.

Well, I've never had to swim without the mask even in my OW class. I wear contacts and wasn't required to do it. It's stupid, I know. So, now I've done it, end of discussion.

One of the great things about ScubaBoard is the “free flow” of information and opinions.
Here’s my opinion, and everyone can “take it”, or “flush it” it’s up to you. :mooner:

Some of the best instructors have had to work through issues or skills. They are more sympathetic, considerate, and have empathy for a student.
Laurie…. Go get them, I’ll dive with you anytime. :D

Honestly, I'm just lurking on this thread because her profile says she restores mustangs and I wanna see pics.

I had to do mask-off swim for OW, but only in the pool. I sometimes get apprehensive before mask-off drills in the ocean because sometimes my mask strap and hood argue when I'm putting it back on.

Unfortunately, we only know what is in your profile and therefore, you're right, we don't know much about you.

I will say this, right or wrong, next time I'm in AZ and considering diving with one of the shops there, I won't be hiring you as a DM. That sounds mean, but from my perspective, anyone who says they've been through SSI Rescue diver and is approaching DM but still has fears about removing their mask or reg or any other of the skills covered in OW simply isn't ready. It seems to me you missed out on a lot of what should have been taught in OW. I don't expect OW students to be fully comfortable with removing mask and reg in a few days of class but they shouldn't completely fear it. An SSI rescue diver absolutely should be comfortable with it. From what I understand there's a lot of emphasis on self-rescue and I would think these would be requisite skills to truly master in any course like that.

What your instructor's experience is has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you are ready for the next step. Being able to pass the skills doesn't necessarily mean being ready to actively DM a group of tourists or a class of OW students safely and competently.

Facing your fears is a good thing. It's a step in the right direction, but I still wouldn't be comfortable hiring you if I showed up at the shop solo and someone offered you up as the DM for hire that day. As an insta-buddy, sure, but not as a DM, specifically for your own protection and that of the shop affiliated with you. Seriously think about that bolded statement... I have no problem diving with anyone (who is at least trying to dive safely) as an instabuddy but I have very different standards for a hired professional. So do the insurance agencies you'll be required to pay and the legal system in this country should anything go wrong.

Going to San Carlos once per month and working on your DM for over a year equates to somewhere between 30 and 60 dives there, even if you're not jamming dives in both days. The fact that you haven't taken any opportunity to do shore dives (a fairly common option there) also tells me you're not ready to be a DM and that you may have done most of your dives with another DM or an instructor in the water with you as a buddy or with your group. I find when that's the case anyone, especially those of us with less than 50 or even less than 100 dives tend to rely on the "expertise" of said DM or instructor, even if we're not intending to do so.

I may be completely off-base here, but I'm sharing my assumptions with you so you can correct me.

There are an awful lot of threads here about the "zero to hero" option and I would like to recommend you read through a few. You may be ready, but from what I've seen in this thread, I don't happen to believe you are. This sounds like a personal attack, but I honestly don't mean it that way. I just want you to be ready for the next step and fully cognitive of what that means. That's the reason I specifically stated that I'd dive with you as a buddy but not a hired DM.

Last edited:
I will agree that Instructors can be sympathetic to certain things (this just happens) and as long as the OP completely meets or exceeds all requirements for the DM certification then I say she deserves it when she gets it. I would say that it seems she was shortchanged on her OW and Rescue training. It is great that she is out there doing something about it though. I agree with snowdog......go get'em.

putting it back on = pain, pinching, hair pull....
Change out the strap, there are some great after market ones.

I agree with the rest of you but cut Laurie some slack. My guess is she isn't the 1st or the 4000th diver to be a little uncomfortable with a mask off and get a pass on an OW class. At least she is dealing with it.

As for DM's who have 50-100 dives, well that can be a little alarming but remember that not all people plan to or have the opportunity to really be a DM full time for a living and just want to use the classes as a chance to learn and better themselves as Laurie seems to be doing. Nothing wrong with that along with aiding an instructor for fun here and there. I am a big believer in the idea that ANY c-card really only gives one the chance to continue learning.

If one really wants to complain to anyone, complain to the cert agencies that allow someone with under 100 dives to get a professional rating. In the end though, that's the game. It will never change. Never. No matter how much we hash or re-hash the topic. All we can hope is that a diver, either now or eventually, will self correct as Laurie has. Good for you Laure! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom