Conquered Some Fears and First Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting to see the different points of view here. Just to clear things up, I am not looking to being a DM as a career. I am a professional archaeologist and own a consulting firm. What I am trying to do is to be the best diver I can be and to be able to teach and help new divers. I've already done that on several occasions, but not in any professional capacity. I was badly shortchanged on the rescue class I took and that's one reason for going over these skills. However, I had a good background in lifesaving prior to doing the rescue class.

When I took my OW class, both in the pool and ocean, the shop had not assembled the hoses on my bc properly and it leaked constantly. Even with that, I developed excellent buoyancy skiils--even better when the darn leak was fixed! I did practice the regulator removal when not swimming, too, btw. I'm just trying to be aware of my shortcomings and dealing with them. The mask issue was the biggest because I only had done it once in the OW course, and that was in the pool.

When I met my instructor in June last year and he tapped me as a DM candidate, I only had a little more than 20 dives. I didn't see me as a DM then (and don't believe that a DM should have fewer than 100 dives), but I took on the challenge of learning the skills and improving my diving. I now have 96 dives under my belt--more than half were deep dives, and more than 10 percent have been below 100 feet. I have dived in the Caribbean, Sea of Cortez, and French Polynesia in a whole variety of conditions. My main interest is underwater photography, and now I'm getting into videography.

I never had done shore dives before because of the physical demands involved that I don't have in boat diving. That tank is damn heavy for me, but it's another skill to master and I will. I still will always prefer boat diving, mainly because of the places I can get to more easily.

Will I work as a DM? I don't know, but at least I know that I will be capable of handling any situation that comes my way and will be able to help when needed. I do know that I'll never work with a shop because I'm not interested in doing that nor am I interested in it as a career. I am, however, planning to pitch in with a local group that we have started in San Carlos and help with teaching responsibilities, when I am ready.

And if you want to see my cars, I have pictures on my website, index :cool2:

Laurie, thank you for the thoughtful response to all these apparent attacks. As I said in my first post (I think) the fact you're identifying your weaknesses and addressing them says a lot about you. Knowing you're not going into it blindly also says a lot about you.

Good luck on the whole thing. Let us know how it all turns out.

I applaud the poster for practicing skills she believes are weak areas. We should be practicing ALL skills frequently anyway.

However, I have always been alarmed at the number of minimum dives it takes to accomplish this cert. This isn't her fault, however, but the agency's generalizing the entire diving population with a standard that is way too low to be called professional. I am not at all interested in DM, and admire those that do. But with the drive-thru dive certs available these days, VERY experienced DM's are sorely needed but are in short supply. Those usually go on to be instructors.

Last edited:
I'm really happy to see someone going for their DM with some broad experience under their belt, and glad you added a surf entry shore dive to the list! I think one of the biggest things one can offer students as a DM is a broad perspective and the ability to answer questions about diving in various environments.

I will say that I could barely manage my gear when I started diving -- getting the tank close to the water was a major chore. Now I can walk at least several hundred yards in doubles without starting to whine, or requiring help. Moving the gear around a lot makes moving the gear easier -- because my improved strength sure didn't come out of a gym!

I've been training as a PADI DM for the past year. I have been an SSI rescue diver for more than a year. My instructor started me early because he said he saw that I had what it takes. However, I knew what my weaknesses were and have worked on those. I only get to San Carlos once a month, so it makes it harder to train. The 20 skills is the next step for me and so I'm getting ready for them.

While I commend you on "attacking" your fears, I would have to strongly caution you against rushing into your DM if those 20 skills seem to be ANY challenge at all for you. The quality of a DM is largely dependent on your ability to perform "demonstration quality" skills for students, both in an instructional situation and out of one. You should be able to perform far more than those 20 listed skills to near perfection before looking to complete your DM.

There was another instructor on board and he knew what I was doing and was watching from the boat. There also was a Discover Scuba class going on. It wasn't that I didn't know how to do the skills, but rather that I wasn't comfortable enough for me to be happy about it. Normally, when I'm diving down there I always have my camera rig with me. This time I left the camera at my house and decided to just practice. It actually was rather enjoyable to just dive.

Being able to dedicate a dive to working on basic skills is a sign of a great diver, but do not misjudge that comment. Just because you are willing to put the time into developing excellent dive skills does NOT mean that you have attained such skills. Hand any diver a manual and they can likely go out and perform the skills with little issue. However, ask them to perform the skills more precisely, quicker, more efficiently, in foreign conditions, and they start to drop like flies.

For example, being able to dive without a mask is a basic skill taught in all open water courses to some degree. Most DM's should be able to remove their mask no problem, and the general thought is that this is assumed. However, as a professional DM you will likely end up in a location with which you are generally unfamiliar with at first. In California we get this sometimes, people who are completely confident with their skills, but dont take into account foreign conditions. Take most any DM from a tropical locale diving off the west coast in some nice chilly water, ask them to remove their mask, and you can put money that they're going to suck water the moment that cold hits their face. All I'm suggesting is that asa DM, if you truly want to "have what it takes" (hell, to just be a good diver anywhere), then you should practice your skills for unfamiliar territory just as much as the familiar. That way if you end up in some colder water and a student needs to swap masks you dont wind up looking like a fool, or worse, on the surface with an injury.

I'm perfectly comfortable and secure with what is needed to be a divemaster. I don't understand why someone would think that is not the case when you know nothing about me or my background. I already have assisted on dives and am diving every chance I get. I'm guessing it will be a couple of months before I get through the program. My instructor is a master instructor and only has been teaching for 38 years. I trust his judgement and he is extremely demanding. There's no sliding with him on anything.

People only make judgements based on the information they give them. Try not to mistake their comments as being ridicule, but rather constructive criticism. You likely do have what it takes to be a DM, I would know, I just took the test/skills portion and it is all ridiculously easy. However, what I think would be a good question to ask would be whether or not YOU feel you have what it takes to be a GREAT DM. Personal qualities aside, you know you need to be able to effect rescue on a diver from 100 yards out inside of 5 minutes, but, what about being a great DM? Could you effect rescue from 500 yards out in a reasonable amount of time? What about swapping gear? Your required to do a buddy breathing gear swap as part of the skills tests, but what would a great DM do? Could you go an extended period of time in rough conditions without a mask if no alternatives presented themselves? What about extended periods of buddy breathing? If removing your regulator up until recently raised the "pucker" factor a bit, how might you react at 130ft if you had to buddy breathe and that buddy was your only hope of life? Could you do the same for a struggling out of air diver? What would a great DM be prepared to do if the need arises?

Also, be clear on one thing, no one is doubting your efforts. In fact, just from reading your posts I have a large amount of respect for you and how hard you work to dive. From one DM candidate to another, you have my respect and I honestly hope you make it through your course with flying colors. I just hope that when the time comes that you step into the professional role as a DM that you are ready in every way to be a GREAT DM, not just another average one. Also, keep in mind that once your a DM, you are always a DM. If your diving in a non-professional setting, it is still your responsibility to be the most responsible diver you can be, and that will often include some aspects of being a DM.

Regards,

I almost got talked into DM until I ran through the financial side of it. PADI's gotta make a ton of money on those.

Beautiful car, btw.

Hi Laurie...

I do wish you all the best with you journey toward becoming a DM. I just completed mine about 5 weeks ago. I'm sure that there were some who would have questioned whether I was a "solid" candidate (50 yrs. old, female, and a couple of back surgeries...ha!).

I did do very well through the certification process...however, I know that I have both strengths and weaknesses. I can see how my strengths could make a very positive contribution to the certification process. My strengths include ability to teach and communicate effectively. I would also say that I have solid demonstration quality skills. However, my weaknesses do come in the areas that require strength. I can handle some pretty "hairy" entries and exits from shore...but if a student went down, could I assist them in getting back up?? I am not sure that I could do this as effectively as I would want/need to.

I have yet to meet an instructor or Divemaster who demonstrates high quality in every aspect of the job.

So, my point is this...I plan to offer my availability in the areas that I feel highly confident in. I will not be willing to say, "Yes", if the situation presented to me is one that I don't feel very, very confident with. Perhaps a dive shop will be willing to utilize me in the areas of my strengths...who knows?

The reality is this...and I don't think it's much a secret...one can get through the DM program and not truly be ready to be a Divemaster. There were definitely intructional gaps in my process of certification. I tried to make up for those be doing much extra on my own. I also felt that the minimum number of dives was ridiculous...I finished the program with 110 dives and still consider myself a beginning diver. So...as many people do express on these forums...I also think that the certs. are a bit too easy to come by. Because of that, I do think it takes very dedicated individuals to become exceptional professionals. The certification process is perhaps just not tough enough (IMO).

Despite what I felt were some "instructional gaps", I was fortunate in that my instructor did require a fair degree beyond the minimum standards...so that was a good thing for me. However, I would still consider myself a Divemaster in the making...am certified, but not nearly as experienced as what I feel is necessary!

So...I say, "Go For It!" ... do a lot of extra work on your own and be the best that you can be! It already sounds like you know how you would like to contribute as a Divemaster...be great in that area :)) By the way...have you seen the "Extreme Cave Diving" (Nova). You being an archeologist...well, I think you would really appreciate it!

:D

We'll Laurie (and all other posters) I guess I started it with post #5, being more than a cheerleader, I attempted to focus my comments on the important issues of skills, maturity and attitude to be a competent divemaster. I also said that I was confident you would get there one day. Your are much closer for the experience of this important thread, and what it has brought out concerning the perceptions of new divers and experienced divers in what they expect a divemaster to be. They expect you to be competent, confident, and comfortable, and will rely on you for their own enjoyment and safety. You are entering the world of professional diving. You need to move past sharing the joy of small triumphs (and it is a joy) and now focus on professional skills and attitude. Communicate that professionalism like a pro, not a newbie. I am a lot better divemaster in 2011 that I was back in April 2000. I look forward to welcoming you to the pro ranks, and encourage you to never stop learning. I am lawyer and a college professor and a part time DM, just like you. But I take the DM role as serious or more so than my other professions. Best of Luck!
DivemasterDennis

Thanks everyone! I was raised with the concept that one never stops learning and that's how I approach everything. In my job, I am used to leading people and directing crews, including demonstrating skills. That experience will transfer into the DM training because even though they are different skills and a different environment, the basic teaching/supervision mode is the same. I just want to make sure that my skills are as solid as they can be, and that's what I'm doing now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom