Considering Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the feedback, im still in the research portion of things, i need to find out if they help with a job placement at all,
Good for you, that you appear to be researching this carefully. DD explicitly states on the website that there is no guarantee of employment. At the same time, they probably have 'connections' to at least give their PDT graduates some advantage, else their ability to market their program would suffer. You really need to be able to speak not only with dive professionals when you are on Grand Cayman, but specifically with dive professionals who have been through the program. What was their experience?
DeepSeaKyle:
the living expensess wouldnt be too bad while taking the course because while im in school and stuff and i can live at home, so no rent or food costs..
I was thinking more of the living expenses associated with the '30 days of training conducted on Grand Cayman in the British West Indies', and the transporation costs from BC to Grand Cayman and back again. It does not appear from the registration materials that these are included in the fee schedule, nor that they are provided by DD. I could be missing something, but I would certainly ask about it.
DeepSeaKyle:
... and to my understanding that one is more of the construction aspect of things? That would be more where i could make a living, from what i am reading the pay/salary is not very good with PDT or diving in general?
There is probably more money to be made in the commercial side of diving, but the lifestyle is probably not what anyone would consider to be glamorous. It is hard, often dangerous, work.

in the tuition there is a part that says travel budget...Travel Budget –Cayman Islands and the West Coast -Fuel Surcharge –Boat 150.00 Airfare to CaymanIslands (due 3rd week) 1450.00Cayman Islands Accommodation 950.00(Due upon Travel Coordinator Request.)Living Expenses in Cayman Islands 600.00Transportation to West Coast (Based on car pooling) 150.00 Subtotal –Travel Budget 3,150.00 (copy and pasted so might be a little hard to read) for 30 days that seems pretty low , 600 bucks for living expenses and 950 for accomidation... maybe its a tent or something because i couldnt live hear for that , like i said though still in the research stage... if you go to divingdynamics and login you can look at a pdf of the curriculum and it says the 30 days is an internship with past students and you will probably average 100+ dives in that month

Back
Top Bottom