Contact info for the Dive House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't give up on doing you dives with a cool op in the afternoon until I exhausted the email chain. Then and only then would I consider the cattleboats. Wait, i should say you might consider the cattleboats. I just never would! :)

chrism16, I also like to dive later in the morning and then a late afternoon dive. Normally I do the 11 am and 3 pm dives.
The resorts at the South end of the island are closer to the dive sites and therefore go out several times a day. These are single tank dives with the SI being back at the dock/resort. Also, these are normally 45 minute dives so the resort dive op can keep on a schedule. Of course one down side of being at a southern resort is that you are far away from town. Everything is a give and take!

This could be your answer but the dive profile may not be to your liking so ask what they are like.

If you are not wanting to start your dive trip until 1100 AM, that is about when I am ending my 1.5 hour or so surface interval at a beach club.

... when I am ending my 1.5 hour or so surface interval at a beach club.

Beachclub + 1.5 hours - drinking = no fun. I'll hang at Palancar with the divers!! :)

Last edited:
Wow thats a bunch of crap. I wake up at 4am every morning for work why would I want to do it just to go diving? Does the aqua life disappear after 11AM? I dont know how they do it in CA but here in FL all the op's here in FL are much harder to get spots in the PM then the AM.
All that humidity must make Floridians lazy. In CA have to leave my house at 5:30 to get to a dive boat or else get there the night before if they'll let me sleep over.

But I rarely dive in CA. Early morning diving is pretty standard the world over. If you're on a liveaboard, first dive is usually around 7:30-8 and you'll want to be up earlier so as not to miss breakfast. Up even earlier if you need to fiddle with your camera. On "vacation" I'm always up by 6 because my camera takes a lot of fiddling and I like my breakfast. My preferred dive op usually picks up at 7:45 plus or minus 15 minutes.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 06:58 PM ----------

I can not, for the life of me, wrap my mind around the idea of setting my alarm for 6:00 - 6:30 am for ANYTHING, while I'm on vacation.
Me neither. I haven't used an alarm clock in years.

On "vacation" I'm always up by 6 because my camera takes a lot of fiddling and I like my breakfast. .

I slam fresh batteries in the camera and the flash and rush out the door late. That is the way it should be done!

Well it's Saturday morning and I got up @ 3:30, can't help it. On the island I believe my record was 6:15, once, usually around 4:30 - 5:00. Often, when on the island, I will make a large cup of coffee and wander over to the Malecon and watch the sunrise. I wish I could do a 3 tank boat that departs @ 6:30, but I doubt that will ever happen since most boats like to go out with more than one diver.

Ok, in July we used the 0600 ferry twice for whalesharks and a Coba run. There were a number of locals sitting on the seawall FINISHING their evening, proving that it wasn't morning yet.

Well it looks like im gonna go with Tres Pelicanos. Only thing I forgot to ask them in my emails buy maybe you guys can answer is do they do they dive at the reefs on the south side of the island? I talked to a bunch of divers this weekend when I was diving in Key Largo and said the reefs and walls are better around Palancar. Any truth to that?

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 07:51 AM ----------

All that humidity must make Floridians lazy. In CA have to leave my house at 5:30 to get to a dive boat or else get there the night before if they'll let me sleep over.

But I rarely dive in CA. Early morning diving is pretty standard the world over. If you're on a liveaboard, first dive is usually around 7:30-8 and you'll want to be up earlier so as not to miss breakfast. Up even earlier if you need to fiddle with your camera. On "vacation" I'm always up by 6 because my camera takes a lot of fiddling and I like my breakfast. My preferred dive op usually picks up at 7:45 plus or minus 15 minutes.

We have some of the best diving in my backyard so there is no rush for me to get out there. If your one of those guys with a flip phone and a camera that takes 110 film I can understand the need to get up so early.

Last edited:
Well it looks like im gonna go with Tres Pelicanos. Only thing I forgot to ask them in my emails buy maybe you guys can answer is do they do they dive at the reefs on the south side of the island? I talked to a bunch of divers this weekend when I was diving in Key Largo and said the reefs and walls are better around Palancar. Any truth to that?

All the sites everyone commonly goes to are the ones to the south on the west side of the Island. And I am STILL trying to find my least favorite spot. My favorite spot is always a tie between the last one and the next one. My advice, don't worry too much about which spot you go to.

Back
Top Bottom