Contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
DivePartner1 once bubbled...
IF you local LDS is ripping you off and you have scarce options, consider Divers Direct, a Florida mail order: http://www.diversdirect.com/gotoscubaequipment.htm

In my experience there is NOTHING wrong with diving with contact lenses. Even if I lose them, I can still read my guages and this is probably true for virutally all contact lenses users. I suggest putting them in and buying the mask of your choice. Whether you have them on in no one's business.

If you're one of those people who can't read the clock in bed without your glasses, contacts are MUCH better than glasses. Because of the distance between your eyes and the lenses glued to the faceplate, you end up with no peripheral vision, an a very narrow field of view.

Also, if you've ever had trouble getting your prescription done right at the optometrist, imagine how hard it is when you never even see the person making your lenses.

In fact, because of the humidity in the mask, contacts are even more comfortable under water than on land.

Web Monkey once bubbled...

If you're one of those people who can't read the clock in bed without your glasses, contacts are MUCH better than glasses. Because of the distance between your eyes and the lenses glued to the faceplate, you end up with no peripheral vision, an a very narrow field of view.

Have you talked to your optometrist about diving with contacts? From what I've read, you stand a very good chance of an eye infection, because bacteria can get caught under the lens. I have -4.5 and -5 lenses in my mask and find them wonderful. Only issue is having to keep the mask on a little longer after a dive, in order to exit.

On the PADI topic (which is why I arrived here). I am not PADI certified. I was into my LDS today, he just received a very nice plaque for 10 reaching the 10 year mark as a PADI instructor. He has NOT issued a single PADI certification for SIX years. He sends in his cheque each year, so that he'll continue to receive the literature and guidleines they send out. Not once in the six years has anyone from PADI ever called to inquire about an apparent lack of students. He does IDEA Canada or NAUI certifications. Has a pool on site and probably starts 5 to 6 new students a week. Seems as long as they get that cheque, everthings fine.

I've dove with contacts for years with no problems. I have lost a contact while clearing my mask so, I always bring extras onboard.

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

Have you talked to your optometrist about diving with contacts? From what I've read, you stand a very good chance of an eye infection, because bacteria can get caught under the lens. I have -4.5 and -5 lenses in my mask and find them wonderful. Only issue is having to keep the mask on a little longer after a dive, in order to exit.

I use disposables. The chances of getting an infection from a lens with a 12 hour lifetime is slim. My optometrist didn't see any problem with using them.

especially those with a high water content are ideal for scuba diving.

I've only ever dived with contact lenses cos I'm like Blind Freddy without them and I've never ever dislodged or lost a lens, or even felt uncomfortable wearing them.

If you were to lose one while clearing your mask, then you are really only losing about AUS$2.

:buggy:

I've never had an eye infection....

My wife and I both wear contacts while diving and have never had a problem. We both wear 'disposable' lenses (we switch every few months) and have never had a problem with infections or anything else.

We did, initially, consider getting prescription masks as one LDS tried to convince us to spend $180 for prescription masks, citing that if we lose our contacts at depth we wouldn't be able to see. After thinking about this for a while we came to the conclusion that the only time we could lose our contacts is if our masks got ripped off - which could result in losing our masks and/or losing our contacts. If we lost our prescription masks then we'd be out for the rest of our dives and $180 per mask. If we lost our 'normal' masks then we're out a pair of disposable contacts and about $40 for a mask. Either way, if we lost the mask we wouldn't be able to see because we lose our prescriptions. Of course this is only one scenario. I guess one could lose a contact with the mask on but then the contact would still be in the mask unless you purge it out :)

Overall, we feel that wearing contacts is best for us. After all, we did all our skills, including mask-off 100-yard underwater swims with regulator and all mask clears in pool and OW, with our contacts on without any problems.

I wear contacts too and I've never had a problem. I considered getting the prescription lense in my mask. I have a single lense mask so I'd have to but a double for the prescription lenses which adds more expense. No thanks. I'll stick with my contacts. You could potentially get bacteria but I'd say the salt water is probably not too bad on your eyes. Saline solution may be sterile but it's really only salt water.

I have been diving with contact lenses since the mid 1980s. I have never had an eye infection and have had one instance of a contact popping out of my eye u/w.
They have worked fine for me.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
I wear contacts too and I've never had a problem. I considered getting the prescription lense in my mask. I have a single lense mask so I'd have to but a double for the prescription lenses which adds more expense. No thanks. I'll stick with my contacts.

So have I & never regretted it. No problem with lost/swapping mask drills or swimming with open eyes in mask hunting drills. That said, wearers of Conventional contact lens (i.e. replace annually, < 45% H20 content) or RGP (Rigid Gas Permeable) hard lenses should be more careful as these would be more prone to accidental loss. I wear mid-water (55% H20) monthly disposable Toric lens and clean them daily.

You could potentially get bacteria but I'd say the salt water is probably not too bad on your eyes. Saline solution may be sterile but it's really only salt water.

One of my past careers was as a business mgr. for a leading contact lens & solutions manufacturer so I can speak to the above. Hopefully a diving optometrist or diving doc can jump in too.

The infections you can obtain from pool, lake or ocean waters could be a serious concern so removal/cleaning of lenses after diving would be a prudent step to take. If practical, even between dives would be advisable. Why? Because the potentially infectious organisms can infiltrate into the lens matrix and thus aren't rinsed from the eye. Remember that all contact lenses have a percentage of water in them and will draw in moisture from your tear film to stay lubricated and comfortable on your eye. Even if you have not had a mask clearing/loss episode, a small portion of moisture in your mask - including residual mask cleaning solution - can infiltrate into and irritate your eyes and stay there in the lens.

Don't think you are any safer in Lake or Pool water. Chances are the level of sewage treatment into your favourite lake is not what you think. Your local swimming pool may be chlorinated but has numerous containments - is there any children or Seniors' water classes at your pool? I'll let your imagination work on that one.

The level of risk is low but as in your diving, you want to minimize your risk. If you are wearing extended wear lenses (ones that you leave in at night), you are at higher risk, since you would not have the habit of taking out your lenses daily to clean/disinfect. This is a very popular modality in Quebec and may become more common as new materials are being introduced that make this more feasible.

I always have a backup pair in my Save A Dive kit along with my spectacles and carry cleaning solutions with me.

If in doubt about your lenses or diving/swimming with them, talk to your Optometrist!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom