Converting Bauer JR II Gas to electric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, not directly. Two considerations:
1. Its on an American 56 frame you need a European 90L frame from memory
2. It's capacitor start only, You should consider also cap start and cap run

Converting from engine to motor the mounting base slot positions are different
The JII baseplate is slotted for both an engine driven and electric motor but it's for a European motor not American.

Good idea IMHO in an earlier post to lower the RPM on that little pump, 2300RPM is silly fast for a 24mm stoke and dissimilar piston combination, oil capacity on the JII is only 360ml hardly enough.

Look at your frame and measure the slots width and depth, its slotted for a European IEC framed 90L motor slots at 5.511" for width and 4.921" in length

In the States you use NEMA framed motors so nearest being a 56H frame

Enclosed a chart showing the difference between US 56 and 56L frame and the Bauer 90L frame you need to work out if it will fit first I guess. Iain Middlebrook

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/501_Catalog/BackCover.pdf

I should add IMHO just get a motor direct from Bauer, first it will fit and is complete with starter, on/off switch, cable and plug. Further they can also supply you the correct belt size, type and length together with the correct bush and pulley.

Save you all the messing about but best of all when you come to sell it again at least it's a proper factory spec build and not some "frankenfurter" home build hack of a pump with some odd ball motor hanging off the end.

Last edited:
No, not directly. Two considerations:
1. Its on an American 56 frame you need a European 90L frame from memory
2. It's capacitor start only, You should consider also cap start and cap run

Converting from engine to motor the mounting base slot positions are different
The JII baseplate is slotted for both an engine driven and electric motor but it's for a European motor not American.

Good idea IMHO in an earlier post to lower the RPM on that little pump, 2300RPM is silly fast for a 24mm stoke and dissimilar piston combination, oil capacity on the JII is only 360ml hardly enough.

Look at your frame and measure the slots width and depth, its slotted for a European IEC framed 90L motor slots at 5.511" for width and 4.921" in length

In the States you use NEMA framed motors so nearest being a 56H frame

Enclosed a chart showing the difference between US 56 and 56L frame and the Bauer 90L frame you need to work out if it will fit first I guess. Iain Middlebrook

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/501_Catalog/BackCover.pdf

I should add IMHO just get a motor direct from Bauer, first it will fit and is complete with starter, on/off switch, cable and plug. Further they can also supply you the correct belt size, type and length together with the correct bush and pulley.

Save you all the messing about but best of all when you come to sell it again at least it's a proper factory spec build and not some "frankenfurter" home build hack of a pump with some odd ball motor hanging off the end.

Thank you, Ian and everyone else, for the valuable info. It does sound like Bauer is probably the best option, but they don't seem interested in helping me. I have called twice and spoken to two different people, neither of which will call me back with pricing. Seems like they only want to deal with large companies. Several months ago I was looking at a used compressor and Bauer was amazingly helpful. Now that I am actually trying to purchase something from them I can't even get a call back.

Ok, just went to look at my Bauer Jr.....from the Norfolk facility.....It has a Lincoln Electric 3HP 3450RPM with a 56H frame.
Model # SRD2S3T1B66TP1B.

My guess is that Germany ships bare block/frames to the US for local configuration. Why ship motors (weight issue) across the pond.

tb

I have the same compressor and would like to convert as well. Any luck completing your conversion? Have any advice for me?

Thanks!

I have the same compressor and would like to convert as well. Any luck completing your conversion? Have any advice for me?

Thanks!

Waiting on parts! If the kit that is being sent to me is correct, it is probably the best way to go. Unfortunately , not even Bauer can give a straight answer on what parts are needed after 4 or 5 phone calls.

This is a simple conversion two things to consider:
1. IF the delivered air volume of the compressor is 5 CFM - then use a 5 HP motor --1 HP for 1 CFM is the rough rule.
2. Compressor speed is usually in RPM -- example of the calculation -- if the compressor speed is listed at 1200RPM and the flywheel diameter is 14 inches This formula will give you the diameter of the pulley needed for a 3450RPM motor (Motor pulley?) equals 14 inch times 1200RPM divided by 3450RPM = 4.87 inches for the motor pulley size
Another example - using a 1750 rpm motor equals 14 times 1200 rpm divided by 1750 equals 9.60 inch pulley on the motor.
Simple calculation no difficulty
Jim Shelden
Call me and I'll help you set it up --no charge
316-992-0505

Last edited:
How much was your KIT and what's in it?

Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Hi Frogman62,

I'm really interested in the exact parts needed for the upgrade. (motor, switch etc.) Once I get it all, I'll probably poll you on some info just to make sure I get it right!

Thanks!

How much was your KIT and what's in it?

Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Hi Frogman62,

I'm really interested in the exact parts needed for the upgrade. (motor, switch etc.) Once I get it all, I'll probably poll you on some info just to make sure I get it right!

Thanks!

It may be a motor, pulley and belt or it may just be motor and pulley. I won't know for sure until(if) it arrives. It runs around $500.

It may be a motor, pulley and belt or it may just be motor and pulley. I won't know for sure until(if) it arrives. It runs around $500.

Did your parts ever show up? I actually need a gas powered compressor. I might be interested in your old gas motor iif it is any good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom