Converting Bauer JR II Gas to electric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the parts came in. The kit consisted of a nice Lincoln Electric motor, a pulley, a belt and a mounting plate. I may have spent a dollars more this way, but In the end I am glad I choose this route. The electric motor is quite a pain to get the belt tensioned with the pulleys aligned. I was hoping it would be easier to switch back and forth to gas. The electric to gas conversion should be quick and simple but gas to electric is probably an 45 minute job. I will probably hold on to my gas motor for now, but I did notice that Northern tool had the same motor for less than I would have expected.

Hello,

I am going thru this same process, I have the correct motor, but need to know what size pulley diameter and belt size.
Could you please measure the pulley diameter and also what is the part # marked on the belt?

thanks

Does anyone have any information about converting the gas model Bauer JR II to electric? Looks like all I need is a motor that will match the bolt pattern of the frame with the correct pulley. I am sure Bauer will be happy to sell me this, but tech support was not much help and I feel like this can be done for much less. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to stay with single phase, either 110 or 220 will work.

You should check with a motor manufacturer for size info for the conversion.

The size motor you need depends on the efficiency and starting and running torque of both the original and the replacement, not just the HP.

It's not just a 1:1 drop in unless you get lucky.

Hello,

I am going thru this same process, I have the correct motor, but need to know what size pulley diameter and belt size.
Could you please measure the pulley diameter and also what is the part # marked on the belt?

thanks

It is a matter of ratios and high school math. Just set up a ratio on one side of the size of pulley on the compressor to the speed that you want to achieve against a ratio of the speed of the motor to the size of the motor pulley. Then, after you get the pulley installed, just wrap a cord around the two pulleys and measure. Not rocket science. If it was, I sure wouldn't be doing this stuff!:D

Thanks guys.
I live in the caribbean, I bought this compressor (junior 2) from someone on craigslist in Miami.
It has a gas engine, and i wanted to convert it to single phase 220v.
I picked up a 3 hp weg compressor duty electric motor that has an rpm rating of 3440.
The existing gas motor has a 3" pulley and the compressor drive pulley is 5"
So if I've got my 3rd grade math right, using the existing gas engine pulley (it will fit shaft) my rpms should be 2064.

A. True
B. False
C. i need to repeat 3rd grade

Thanks guys.
I live in the caribbean, I bought this compressor (junior 2) from someone on craigslist in Miami.
It has a gas engine, and i wanted to convert it to single phase 220v.
I picked up a 3 hp weg compressor duty electric motor that has an rpm rating of 3440.
The existing gas motor has a 3" pulley and the compressor drive pulley is 5"
So if I've got my 3rd grade math right, using the existing gas engine pulley (it will fit shaft) my rpms should be 2064.

A. True
B. False
C. i need to repeat 3rd grade

The answer is A.

However you will have a slightly reduced filling rate as the Junior's output of 100 litres/min is calculated at 2300 rpm. If you want to realise its full potential, you will need a 3.3" pulley with that motor/pump combination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom