Coroners report:throwing up while scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I felt quesy on the surface I wouldn't dive. If I got quesy while underwater I would treat it as an emergency and abort the dive. I haven't ever hurled when I didn't know for some period of time that it was coming.

What if you were 30 meters down? Honestly, it was very scary when I was first thinking about it (as in when I was trying my best to NOT hurl), but once I "started" I realized it was no big deal -- as long as your buddy is there to or at least have something to hang on to. It is for sure the safer thing to do than trying to "abort" at depth. Throwing up is not an emergency.

I am curious; has anyone puked while wearing a full face mask? If so, how did it go?

I am curious; has anyone puked while wearing a full face mask? If so, how did it go?

Not me, but have heard it over the comms many times in commercial diving. It was no problem at all, probably because it is part of the training. In most cases it was the result of excessive libation intake the night before. We always checked that the wind wasn’t blowing exhaust into the compressor though.

If I felt quesy on the surface I wouldn't dive.

Only once or twice has the queezy hit me - each time I dove and I felt better - the water cooling my body and lack of motion I think helped me.
My son felt an onset and hung onto a rope tied to the stern - mask, snorkel, wetsuit and fins - about 5 mins on the SIT - he was fine and did the next dive.

I think it depends on if you are just not feeling right or ready to hurl...

Sensible answer -
If you get a lung full of water at any depth it creates a whole lot of other problems for you that you don't need. - P

Yea, this is nail on the head... I think everyone is different on how they will act, or react as every situation is different, but as Phil says - 60ft down get a lung full of water = big poo.

Only once or twice has the queezy hit me - each time I dove and I felt better - the water cooling my body and lack of motion I think helped me.
My son felt an onset and hung onto a rope tied to the stern - mask, snorkel, wetsuit and fins - about 5 mins on the SIT - he was fine and did the next dive.

I think it depends on if you are just not feeling right or ready to hurl...
I'm not prone to seasickness. Been on boats my entire life, and only twice have I gotten even a little seasick. Both times in very rough seas. One was on a certification dive in the Keys. It was after the first dive. My group was first down, and first up. While waiting, the seas got to me a bit, and I got close to throwing up. Finally jumped in the water and held on to the tow line. Immediately felt better.

I cannot even imagine how much of a nightmare something like this would feel like. It's almost hollywood.

one sunshiny day turns into an tragic atrocity as one man's tequila cost him and his dive crew their lives. After surviving the initial struggle to choke up last nights celebrations 60 ft underwater, the sharks soon ascended from the depths.................................................................................................................

I agree. But, personally, I would opt (and have) to snorkel rather than dive.

I cannot even imagine how much of a nightmare something like this would feel like. It's almost hollywood.

one sunshiny day turns into an tragic atrocity as one man's tequila cost him and his dive crew their lives. After surviving the initial struggle to choke up last nights celebrations 60 ft underwater, the sharks soon ascended from the depths.................................................................................................................
You should take that script straight to Hollywood!

To me being underwater is being in a sanctuary against the constant movement that aggravates motion sickness. Even if I feel queasy and realize that I might throw up at any time, I'll still go underwater.

The deeper you go the calmer that wave motion gets. You're breathing pure tank air instead marine engine fumes. When queasy I look forward to getting underwater and actually dread going back up to the surface. If I happen to throw up underwater, so be it. It's still better than throwing up in a rocking boat amidst fumes.

The last time it happened it was a couple of months ago. I timed my hurling with removal of the reg from my mouth so that I was able to get most of it directly into the water and not through the reg. In between hurlings I'd put the reg back in and purge in a shot of fresh air into the lungs. After it was done I took off my mask to wash off my face and the chunks that came through my nose. Then I put everything back in place and went on to shoot the underwater scenes in this video:

Manchon: Manchon - YouTube

[youtubehq]sxLumI_ZdR8[/youtubehq]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom