Corrective lenses for scuba mask, lost.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Tulsa Paragon mask. I'm curious has anyone had to have a special eye exam for scuba diving? My optometrist insists I must have a new eye exam even though my eye prescription is up to date. All I did for the previous corrective lens insert was present my eye prescription to the dive shop who had them made.

I wonder if it is just a way to make more money by insisting I need another eye exam?
Probably. I get my vision checked once every 2 yrs, as per my insurance, and certainly would not make a special trip in for lenses for my dive masks unless something untoward happened in between eye exams. As someone suggested above, I have frames, one TUSA, IIRC, and the other Dive Rite that are virtually identical. Both have prescription lenses that were installed by the dive shops they were bought from. No problems whatsoever w/ either my vision underwater or the lenses themselves. I do wear a wrist mount computer w/ a large display: Cressi Archimedes.

They can grind the lens to make negligible the waters effect on magnification, and refraction. Some glasses people have an overmagnified view of their calling.

The same reading magnification you use normally will work underwater, the depth of focus changes but you tend to move the dive computer in or out as needed. Personally, I found cataract surgery (lens replacement) restores distance to 100% and cheap magnifiers then did the job reading above the surface and the computer under. I know it sounds extreme, but insurance pays for it and not being blind w/o glasses is really nice.

I had lenses ground through the dive shop where the guy knew what he was doing. Less weight and fits perfectly in Atomic mask. When I had my eyes checked I asked the optometrist to write a prescription for them and she knew what I was talking about. Good luck on both fronts.

I found cataract surgery (lens replacement) restores distance to 100% and cheap magnifiers then did the job reading above the surface and the computer under.

And the thing is if you do it a few years before you you really need it, saves years and years of messing around with glasses and associated mask issues and gives you a much more better extra chunk of peace on your piece of earth

You can find a glue for glass that is clear and works. Of course, once you have lost the lens it is no good. My lenses started to move so I bought the glue and reglued them, have not moved since. A bigger or better computer will not work, you need the lenses (I have a Shearwater, cannot read without the lenses!).

Former dive shop replaced corrective lenses that were lost and glued inside mask windows. I used the corrective lenses yesterday for first time underwater and despite attempting to secure the lenses with glue; flooding the mask with water proved efficient in dislodging both corrective lenses.

As mentioned I use a Tulsa Paragon mask when bought adhered to my face without hand support and hypothetically determine a secure fit except water continues to seep in after clearing water from mask.

My new instructor suggest I consider getting a new mask for better fit and full size corrective lenses instead of small half lenses that tend to slide around when water is introduced .

Perhaps they will take the Tulsa Paragon mask as trade?

I have a magnifying glass on a bungie. It's great for looking at Itty bitty critters but not efficient for reading my computer.

I bought a Scubapro mask and the corrective lenses for my positive diopter prescription. It turns out that the available positive diopter lenses are just in the bifocal part. The rest of the lens is plain glass. That isn't what I wanted so I returned everything. Maybe there is some other place that sells compatible lenses in positive diopters that cover the entire lens.
I am currently using a Deep Blue mask. They have positive diopter lenses for their masks and they are reasonably priced. The one I have been using for seven years is wearing out, so I will likely go back to Deep Blue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom